Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: US Election

Quote Originally Posted by Mosr View Post
    I've always found it odd (coming from Australia where voting is compulsory) that a lot of U.S. citizens choose not to place their say into the next voice and leader of their country.
    We're talking about the same Australia that bans "violent" video games and you can't even buy a squirt gun without a parent.

As much as I hate voter apathy, forcing people to vote isn't right. There SHOULD be something like a tax incentive if you voted, or a small tax penalty if you didn't.

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    Quote Originally Posted by RX-149Dragonite View Post
    We're talking about the same Australia that bans "violent" video games and you can't even buy a squirt gun without a parent.

As much as I hate voter apathy, forcing people to vote isn't right. There SHOULD be something like a tax incentive if you voted, or a small tax penalty if you didn't.
    An incentive, perhaps. Penalizing people for not taking an action isn't a good idea though. It sets a precedent that's far to easily abused. If you penalize someone for not voting in the presidential election, why not extend that same rule for every election they're eligible to vote in? Or for things like not doing community service? Or donating to charity?
    Granted, this is a system that's already being implemented, so we might see that kind of "motivation" in the near future anyway.

We do have voting incentives though. Every time we vote we get a sticker :3

Quote Originally Posted by Wuvvums View Post
    We do have voting incentives though. Every time we vote we get a sticker :3
    Fuck yeah, stickers

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    THE WINNER, BY KNOCKOUT: B-ROCK "THE ISLAMIC SHOCK" HUSSEIN SUPERALLAH OBAMA

Quote Originally Posted by RX-149Dragonite View Post
    Aussies can still cast a blank ballot if they don't want to vote. It's only mandatory that they show up.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Aussies can still cast a blank ballot if they don't want to vote. It's only mandatory that they show up.
    How many people do you think actually do that? As opposed to people who show up and say "My friend told me party X is pure evil, I'm gonna vote against them on all counts."

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Had my fucking registration forms actually arrived here and not at my house a state away I'd have cast my votes for:

No on Amendment 1 (ban on marriage equality) [Amendment 1 didn't pass]
    No on Amendment 2 (requiring voter ID's) [Amendment 2 didn't pass]
    Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) [Incumbent, won]
    Representative Tim Walz 1st District (D-MN) (Fuck if I was letting Allen fucking Quist in, the teabagging scumlord) [Incumbent, won]
    President Barack Obama (D) [Incumbent, won]

I'm pretty hard left so it's hardly surprising.

Weasyl
    GingerM
    I have no problem at all with mandatory voter turnout. In fact, I'm in favour of making it mandatory not only to vote, but to be informed on the issues. You still can't make someone cast a ballot ONLY on the basis of the issues, but you can certainly make it a requirement that they not vote through a miasma of ignorance.

Citizenship is a two-sided coin - with rights come responsibilities, and both the US and Canada have a pretty dismal record of insisting that the people who want their rights step up to carry out their responsibilities.
    FA: GINGERM | RHIANNON ~ SOFURRY ~ FUTANARI PALACE ~ RENDEROTICA
    WEASYL ~ DEVIANTART ~ HENTAI FOUNDRY ~ WIKIFUR
    Live life to the fullest, love with a full heart.

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
    I have no problem at all with mandatory voter turnout. In fact, I'm in favour of making it mandatory not only to vote, but to be informed on the issues. You still can't make someone cast a ballot ONLY on the basis of the issues, but you can certainly make it a requirement that they not vote through a miasma of ignorance.

Citizenship is a two-sided coin - with rights come responsibilities, and both the US and Canada have a pretty dismal record of insisting that the people who want their rights step up to carry out their responsibilities.
    How do you suggest that the government forcibly educate people on the issues? More so, how do you regulate that sort of education? Do you give a neutral view of both sides of an issue? How do you make sure the government doesn't warp the information they're making it a requirement that people know?

Unless you mean requiring a test before voting, in which case you run into the exact same issues. What answers are right? I'm assuming that they get a tax penalty if they answer wrong and show ignorance, since knowledge is mandatory. But what if the government decides that the "right" answer leans a certain way? Not to mention, voting tests have historically been struck down in the United States as discriminatory practices.

It's simply not efficient. The cost of implementing these programs far outweighs the benefits, and opens the doors to all sorts of abuses of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsyk View Post
    Unless you mean requiring a test before voting, in which case you run into the exact same issues.
    You realize the South did tests before voting in order to keep the poorer African-American population from voting, right?

What needs to be done is an indirect incentive, like a small tax break or something.

As for the Electoral College, it needs to go away. It's really one of the only remaining mechanics of our voting system that has been relatively unchanged since the beginning of our country, and that's no good.