Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: US Election

  1. #11
    Premium User taasla's Avatar
    Weasyl
    taasla
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    68
    Voted demo down the ticket for the LGBT and women's rights issues.

  2. #12
    Premium User Unburnt Daenerys's Avatar
    Weasyl
    meris
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    101
    Went to vote, and was told that I had to fill out a provisional ballot, so it's currently sealed in an envelope and may or may not count depending on the vagaries of fate. Schrodinger's vote, basically.

    So I said fuck it and just voted for Jill Stein like I wanted to.

  3. #13
    Appaloosa Horsegirl GingerM's Avatar
    Weasyl
    GingerM
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    162
    It will be interesting, no doubt. One news item - apparently, there've been robocalls in Florida to tell voters they can vote tomorrow, though no word on who is alleged to have set up these calls. Just amazes me, though, that someone thinks those kinds of electoral shenanigans are a good idea...
    FA: GINGERM | RHIANNON ~ SOFURRY ~ FUTANARI PALACE ~ RENDEROTICA
    WEASYL ~ DEVIANTART ~ HENTAI FOUNDRY ~ WIKIFUR
    Live life to the fullest, love with a full heart.


  4. #14
    Well Obama won, sadly, and other Dems in Michigan seem to have won. However the proposals are mostly being struck down, which is great.

    Hopefully the Libertarian Party ticket with Gary Johnson can get the 5% they need to get on the next ballot and to receive federal funding

  5. #15
    Some of the tickets for Alabama seemed bureacrat related (like making this location a landmark and letting a municipality take out a bond) but there were some issues like removing racial school segregation from the state constitution (it has been voted down in the past) which I voted yes for and another issue was letting employers opt out of state health care programs or something similar to that (voted no).

  6. #16
    Appaloosa Horsegirl GingerM's Avatar
    Weasyl
    GingerM
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosr View Post
    I am not a citizen of the United States, so evidently I did not vote, but the media and people from countries abroad saw the outcome long before it happened. Is it possible to see the percentage of the nation who did not vote?
    I've always found it odd (coming from Australia where voting is compulsory) that a lot of U.S. citizens choose not to place their say into the next voice and leader of their country.
    That lack of voting happens in Canada as well. Unfortunately, none of our parties seem willing to take up Australia's example and make voting mandatory. I am soooo tired of people who won't - not can't, but won't - get off their butts on election night and go to the polls, but then spend time whinging about the results. If you refuse to vote, you've lost the right to whine as far as I'm concerned.
    FA: GINGERM | RHIANNON ~ SOFURRY ~ FUTANARI PALACE ~ RENDEROTICA
    WEASYL ~ DEVIANTART ~ HENTAI FOUNDRY ~ WIKIFUR
    Live life to the fullest, love with a full heart.


  7. #17
    Junior Nitro's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Nitro
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
    That lack of voting happens in Canada as well. Unfortunately, none of our parties seem willing to take up Australia's example and make voting mandatory. I am soooo tired of people who won't - not can't, but won't - get off their butts on election night and go to the polls, but then spend time whinging about the results. If you refuse to vote, you've lost the right to whine as far as I'm concerned.
    The problem with making voting mandatory is that you end up with voters who are completely uninformed and frankly don't give a shit. Voting, for these people, essentially comes down to peer pressure or whoever's more good-looking or whatever.

    As a not-citizen of the US I'm pretty happy with Obama. Not exactly Libertarian, but Democrat is a pretty good push towards that direction.
    Last edited by Nitro; 11-07-2012 at 04:06 AM.

  8. #18
    Senior Rsyk's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Rsyk
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    As a not-citizen of the US I'm pretty happy with Obama. Not exactly Libertarian, but Democrat is a pretty good push towards that direction.
    Not even close. Neither of our major parties right now get even close Libertarian practices, the only difference between the two is which areas of government get expanded.

  9. #19
    I could see some people not voting because of the electoral college*, or because of attempts of voter suppression. There's been a lot of misinformation going around so some people who would vote might have missed their chance, or thought they could not vote because of the lies coming from the robocalls and spam mail.

    *Basically our president is not decided by the popular vote but by a group of representatives in the state. Most of the states have a "winner take all" rule as far as I know meaning that if they won that state they get to take ALL the electoral votes. That's why there's a huge obsession over swing states.

  10. #20
    Senior Rsyk's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Rsyk
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuvvums View Post
    I could see some people not voting because of the electoral college*, or because of attempts of voter suppression. There's been a lot of misinformation going around so some people who would vote might have missed their chance, or thought they could not vote because of the lies coming from the robocalls and spam mail.

    *Basically our president is not decided by the popular vote but by a group of representatives in the state. Most of the states have a "winner take all" rule as far as I know meaning that if they won that state they get to take ALL the electoral votes. That's why there's a huge obsession over swing states.
    Yup. The suppression/intimidation stuff is usually the result of over-zealous supporters of the parties though. I've heard that a lot of people were getting harassed from both ends this year.

    As for the electoral college, that's usually the reason why anyone supporting a third party doesn't vote. There's really no point.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •