Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Suggestions!

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by catwithpen View Post
    One more suggestion. I don't know if this is already in the works: I think it would be good to have a rating system in addition to a 'favorite' button, like on sofurry.

Sometimes I find art that I really like, but for some reason don't want to add it to my favorites (too sad, etc.) so I like having the option to give it a good rating. Also, people often don't have time to comment, or don't know what to say, so rating would make it easier to give feedback, and it would give a more accurate view of how much people like that picture.
    I could see that working fairly well. My only suggestion would be to make the picture ratings optional (have a setting for it). Some people may be very sensitive of their artwork and could be terrified of a low rating. Then there are artist that appreciate critique and I think they'd like seeing the rating of their picture. I actually kinda like the way dA has it set up, where the rating is followed by a critique. Just so long as the person giving the critiques is fair and honest with it.

Weasyl
    Morphology
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I could see that working fairly well. My only suggestion would be to make the picture ratings optional (have a setting for it). Some people may be very sensitive of their artwork and could be terrified of a low rating. Then there are artist that appreciate critique and I think they'd like seeing the rating of their picture. I actually kinda like the way dA has it set up, where the rating is followed by a critique. Just so long as the person giving the critiques is fair and honest with it.
    A rating system would be interesting, though I see a possible problem in that folks could spam high ratings, or conversely and more likely if someone doesn't like someone, they can coordinate a mass downvote. Is there anyway to work around this? Just being devil's advocate; I actually do kinda like a ratings idea.

Quote Originally Posted by catwithpen View Post
    One more suggestion. I don't know if this is already in the works: I think it would be good to have a rating system in addition to a 'favorite' button, like on sofurry.

Sometimes I find art that I really like, but for some reason don't want to add it to my favorites (too sad, etc.) so I like having the option to give it a good rating. Also, people often don't have time to comment, or don't know what to say, so rating would make it easier to give feedback, and it would give a more accurate view of how much people like that picture.
    What would the rating system do to a piece with a lot of bad ratings? You can have just thumbs up without a thumbs down, would the image be blocked or unreachable until a staff member checks it out and deals with it? And if there was only a good rating you could add onto the image would it be visit to those other than the artist? I know a few people I've met don't enjoy having such a system that shows off numbers of favorites, views, or any other "popularity" statistics on their artwork, it bums most people out when their low compared to others.

Which brings up a question that might already be answered... would there be a way to hide stats from the public eye? Making it so only the author/artist is the only one who can see it (optional of course) or have it completely shut off?

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphology View Post
    A rating system would be interesting, though I see a possible problem in that folks could spam high ratings, or conversely and more likely if someone doesn't like someone, they can coordinate a mass downvote. Is there anyway to work around this? Just being devil's advocate; I actually do kinda like a ratings idea.
    Good point. What about making critique required? Then there wouldn't be unfounded claims of the artwork's quality. No anonymous low ratings. If the rating is given unfairly, could the artist have the power to hide the negative comments?

And Radio, you make a good point. Although, if the critique is shown, perhaps other people could build on that? Or like you said, keeping ratings private could work, I feel.

Good point. What about making critique required? Then there wouldn't be unfounded claims of the artwork's quality. No anonymous low ratings. If the rating is given unfairly, could the artist have the power to hide the negative comments?

And Radio, you make a good point. Although, if the critique is shown, perhaps other people could build on that? Or like you said, keeping ratings private could work, I feel.
    It may sound silly but why not have a validation rule for critique and ratings?

E.g. A user submits a rating and it gets sent to the artist, the artist can then validate the rating (they wouldn't be able to change it however). That way the artist can approve it to be posted or decline it due to harrassment or spam or whatever other reason

Weasyl
    GingerM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitani View Post
    It may sound silly but why not have a validation rule for critique and ratings?

E.g. A user submits a rating and it gets sent to the artist, the artist can then validate the rating (they wouldn't be able to change it however). That way the artist can approve it to be posted or decline it due to harrassment or spam or whatever other reason
    Um. I'm not sure this is necessarily a good idea. Granted, I don't post a lot of art of my own, so on Weasyl, most of the stuff in my gallery is liable to be grouped or whatever they're calling it from the artist's post, but for the stuff I do draw and write, I don't really want to have to wade through a bunch of critique comments to determine if they're actual critique or just poorly-phrased statements of personal preference (e.g., "OMGLURVETHIS" or "EW BOOBS", etc.)

That said, I think someone above mentioned that artists ought to have the ability to say whether a piece is open for critique or not, which suggests the following:
    .--------------------------------------
    | ( ) Do not ask for critique
    | ( ) Allow critques, screen for approval first
    | (*) Allow critiques, no screening

Obviously I don't know exactly how the Weasyl main site user preferences screen will be set up, but I hope this conveys the idea?
    FA: GINGERM | RHIANNON ~ SOFURRY ~ FUTANARI PALACE ~ RENDEROTICA
    WEASYL ~ DEVIANTART ~ HENTAI FOUNDRY ~ WIKIFUR
    Live life to the fullest, love with a full heart.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
    Um. I'm not sure this is necessarily a good idea. Granted, I don't post a lot of art of my own, so on Weasyl, most of the stuff in my gallery is liable to be grouped or whatever they're calling it from the artist's post, but for the stuff I do draw and write, I don't really want to have to wade through a bunch of critique comments to determine if they're actual critique or just poorly-phrased statements of personal preference (e.g., "OMGLURVETHIS" or "EW BOOBS", etc.)

That said, I think someone above mentioned that artists ought to have the ability to say whether a piece is open for critique or not, which suggests the following:
    .--------------------------------------
    | ( ) Do not ask for critique
    | ( ) Allow critques, screen for approval first
    | (*) Allow critiques, no screening

Obviously I don't know exactly how the Weasyl main site user preferences screen will be set up, but I hope this conveys the idea?
    Yeah, thats the kind of idea I was working towards (I think I worded it badly), Livejournal operates this kind of system for comments if your a paid member. I figured it could be useful on Weasyl as well.

Since I don't have much else to add to the previous suggestion xD
    I have another I'd like to inquire about!

For those of use wanting to host our characters within Weasyl character database would there be a guest art album feature like on Nabyn? I've discovered not a lot of the artists on FA I commissioned in the past know of or really care for Weasyl but I'd still like to associate my commissions from them with my characters without forcing them to sign-up and have them add me as a commissioner in their uploads (of any of my characters of course). Again I don't know if this has been touched before but I'd like to know if this is something we'll be expecting sometime in Weasyl's development.

I'd also like to suggest a front page (a users profile) showcase of the guest art gallery if the user so chooses to have it shown to the public. :x
    This is one of the flaws Nabyn had going on since there were those who didn't draw at all and only commissioned who liked to show off their commissions!

Also.. speaking of which I think this was brought up in an older thread... Will there be any labels people can place on their accounts? Such as "Artist, Writer, Commissioner, Watcher, etc"

Weasyl
    WildOak

I'm not sure making critique required would help. many people have said that they aren't comfortable giving critiques, or they don't know what to say besides "I like it". Personally, if all I can't think of is "I like it," then I don't comment at all, because after the tenth time is starts to sound insincere and frankly I'm tired of saying the same lame thing over and over again.

One of the most common complaints I hear, from both artists and writers, is that people don't give enough feedback. So making it harder to give feedback is not the way to go, imo. Having the ability to disable ratings and comments would be a good idea, though.

Weasyl
    GingerM
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioCatastrophe View Post
    Also.. speaking of which I think this was brought up in an older thread... Will there be any labels people can place on their accounts? Such as "Artist, Writer, Commissioner, Watcher, etc"
    Excellent point! I would love to have all four
    FA: GINGERM | RHIANNON ~ SOFURRY ~ FUTANARI PALACE ~ RENDEROTICA
    WEASYL ~ DEVIANTART ~ HENTAI FOUNDRY ~ WIKIFUR
    Live life to the fullest, love with a full heart.