Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Suggestions!

Suggestions!

• Increase post text size a little (13px would work well, I think)
    • Bigger avatars (150x150 seems to fit well with the forum layout)
    • Make it so that accessing a thread's default URL (like http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/s...ral-Discussion) takes you to the last post you read in it and not just the first page of the thread (very useful feature that I've seen on ZetaBoards forums, not sure if Vbulletin is capable of that)
    • Ability to "like" or "dislike" a post (not sure if you'd be able to add this capability, but on others forums I've found this to be a godsend in regards to stopping people from making lots of useless "this!"-type posts)
    • Please never add a reputation feature, oh dog please no
    • A Jacuzzi

I'm liking the forum so far (even if it's only day one lol) and look forward to other people that come around here, especially when the site itself opens.

Oh, I could make a point about avatars, it seems a little weird that my avatar traditionally has a translucent background but seems to be opaque here. Why so?
    Also, a Quick Preview for the Quick Reply might be nice - fewer screens to go through to preview what I'm about to say.
    Is there currently a members list? I don't remember seeing one before I stole some sleep last night.

If there was a like feature, I'd like that post.

You can see the members list under the "Community" drop-down on the sub-menu up at the top.

Oh, yes, there it is! Sorry I was just expecting it on the front page, down by where it said the number of members and such, kind of like how you can click the number of members online.

I second a quick reply preview, that would be super convenient.

And I second Samael's question about avatars, something weird is goin on with mine too. It shows up transparent in the header, but then it gets all... Odd in the actual forums.

Also increasing the text size would be great too, I almost have to squint to see the writing when I view this site on my iPad.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    Eminoxic
    The white background on the animated avatars or any transparent avatars is because we are using GD instead of ImageMagick to process our images, since GD wasn't able to have this feature due to licensing issues when the resizing of images code was written.

Simple Solution:
    Make your current animated transparent avatar the same size as the allowed size on the forums, which is 100x100.

Solution down the line:
    Going to talk with Kihari to see if the server is ImageMagick friendly, and if it is, we'll see the difference of using ImageMagick over GD for processing images on the forums.

--

Dislike and Like, I'll look into that for sure, see what other staff thinks about it.

--

Reputation won't be added because prior to releasing the forums we thought it was cause more problems than solutions.

--

Text size is also something I'll discuss with the other staff. I've always been a fan of small things (that's what she said), but we'll see how the changing of text/avatar sizes fits in with the current layout sometime tomorrow. I could change it now but I am mainly an assistant when it comes to the layout itself, since I'm not a designer.

--

Preview on quick reply, I'll see what I can do about that, I like that idea. Any changes we make, I'll make sure to post back here with the results.

Throwing this out there, although it's probably impossible: real time updates on threads would be pretty much the nicest thing. Like, if the thread periodically but transparently refreshes, to show the recent most replies at the bottom. If nothing else, if it has a "x new posts since you updated" thing would be nice so I don't think I'm responding to the most recent post and then find out ten pages later I'm way behind on the topic.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8

Weasyl
    Eminoxic
    Quote Originally Posted by Samael View Post
    Throwing this out there, although it's probably impossible: real time updates on threads would be pretty much the nicest thing. Like, if the thread periodically but transparently refreshes, to show the recent most replies at the bottom. If nothing else, if it has a "x new posts since you updated" thing would be nice so I don't think I'm responding to the most recent post and then find out ten pages later I'm way behind on the topic.
    Not impossible, in fact, I was going to do this, but I began to question how it would react with server load time if a lot of users are idling on a thread. I'll do some research on it to see if high traffic sites (Since we don't know if Weasyl forums will be low or high traffic) have used something like that with no problems.
    Last edited by Eminoxic; 07-27-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Ooh, two more:
    • BBCode to embed YouTube videos and stuff of that nature
    • A spoiler BBcode that we can put long posts in to stop a thread from taking forever to scroll through

Weasyl
    teckworks
    Everything here that I wanted to suggest has already been suggested, so here's a post giving my approval on all of it. :> Also I dunno if this site will allow for music recordings, too?