Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Weasyl
    LeoTheDog
    The only problem I really have with this game is the price tag that comes with it.
    I've been playing for about half a year now, and I've noticed all the good decks have $10-40 cards spread throughout the deck.
    The game is really great, don't get me wrong, but if they balanced out some of the cards a bit more, it'd make the game a better experience.
    I've introduced the game to loads of my friends, but they can get discouraged at times because as a beginner, you're not going to have the best cards, and playing against someone who's been playing for years is just no fair. In the long run sometimes, the game is about who makes more money instead of real skill.
    But what can ya do?

Needless to say, I love the game and am on my way to becoming a local judge!

Weasyl
    RMC
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheDog View Post
    The only problem I really have with this game is the price tag that comes with it.
    I've been playing for about half a year now, and I've noticed all the good decks have $10-40 cards spread throughout the deck.
    The game is really great, don't get me wrong, but if they balanced out some of the cards a bit more, it'd make the game a better experience.
    I've introduced the game to loads of my friends, but they can get discouraged at times because as a beginner, you're not going to have the best cards, and playing against someone who's been playing for years is just no fair. In the long run sometimes, the game is about who makes more money instead of real skill.
    But what can ya do?

Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast. What I do is just trade off the shit I don't need and just trade up for the stuff I do want. It's far easier to acquire good cards by, well, trading or buying them.

I'm also gonna make this a post in general about people who are sorta iffy on the idea about spending a buncha money on Magic. Because you don't need to spend a buncha money to enjoy the game, promise!

These formats are more about fun and are awesome for multiplayer games or 1v1 as well. So if this sounds like your kinda brand of fun, this is the post for you!

PAUPER
    If you're looking for a fun format to play and not have to dump a load of money into the game, I would suggest Pauper as a good starting format for people who are just beginning and for people looking for something different. It's all about playing with commons! You basically make a 60 deck or more of whatever commons you want! I personally had a few pauper decks built at one point to combat other friends and it's a blast to play because you aren't relying on bomby rares to bail you out in a pinch! You also really start to appreciate how sweet commons can be!

EDH/Commander

Quoting Wizard's mainsite since I feel they can explain it better than I can.
    Commander starts with the rules for multiplayer Free-for-All games, in which any number of players compete against each other as individuals. It's played with the Singleton format (in other words, except for basic lands, each card in your deck must have a different name), and each player starts with a life total of 40 rather than the usual 20. Most importantly, the centerpiece of each deck is a legendary creature that serves as that deck's commander.

To build a deck, you first choose a legendary creature, called a "commander" or "general," then construct a Singleton deck around it containing exactly 99 other cards. Only cards of the commander's color(s) and colorless cards may be included in the deck. (Note that split cards and hybrid cards count as all of their colors.) In fact, if a card contains a mana symbol anywhere on it that's not one of your commander's colors, you can't include it in that deck! Within the game, if you would add mana to your mana pool that's a color not shared by your commander, you get colorless mana instead.

Appropriately enough for a format named after the legendary creature that's leading your team, your commander works differently from other cards in the game. Before the game begins, each player removes his or her commander from the game. You may play your commander from the command zone for its normal costs plus an additional {2} for each previous time it has been played this way. If your commander would go to the graveyard from anywhere, you may remove it from the game instead. In addition to the normal Magic loss conditions, if a player is dealt 21 points of combat damage from a single commander over the course of the game, that player loses the game!
    I personally have a Kaalia of the Vast EDH deck and it does some very cruel and very sweet things. Love it!
    More info on the format can be found here!

TRIBAL WARS
    Tribal Wars is all about battling with whichever creature type you love the most and making a 60 card or more deck of your desired tribe. Be they Elves, Goblins, Kithkin, Golems, Treefolk, or Ouphes. You can apply whatever format rules you want to it, but I generally stick to the Legacy banlist when it comes to formats like these.

But yeah, theres a few ideas to have a buncha fun with magic but not have to spend a buncha money. Have fun and keep on playing!

Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheDog View Post
    But what can ya do?

This is a CCG - that's pretty much how these things work. And that's one of the reasons I never really got into Magic. There weren't any places around where I could get any decks or booster packs, since I live in an absolute deadzone for these kinds of games.

There's a game store that has Magic tournaments, but during 2002-2006 when they were the most popular (Before a guy punched an eleven year old kid in the face for beating him and got led away by the police.) I didn't have a car - or a deck that didn't consist of cards that, even at the time, were absolute crap. By the time I got a car, it's pretty much the store employees and their friends with very little room for newcomers. :/

And the "Tabletop Game" club at university didn't have anyone who played Magic. Everyone wanted to play something like Warhammer, Shadowrun, Warhammer, D&D, More Warhammer, Arkham, Ticket to Ride, Apples to Apples (and later Cards against Humanity), Tabletop RPGs with Warhammer races and rules injected into them, Warhammer, and did I mention Warhammer?

Weasyl
    LeoTheDog
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalpotato View Post
    This is a CCG - that's pretty much how these things work. And that's one of the reasons I never really got into Magic. There weren't any places around where I could get any decks or booster packs, since I live in an absolute deadzone for these kinds of games.

There's a game store that has Magic tournaments, but during 2002-2006 when they were the most popular (Before a guy punched an eleven year old kid in the face for beating him and got led away by the police.) I didn't have a car - or a deck that didn't consist of cards that, even at the time, were absolute crap. By the time I got a car, it's pretty much the store employees and their friends with very little room for newcomers. :/

And the "Tabletop Game" club at university didn't have anyone who played Magic. Everyone wanted to play something like Warhammer, Shadowrun, Warhammer, D&D, More Warhammer, Arkham, Ticket to Ride, Apples to Apples (and later Cards against Humanity), Tabletop RPGs with Warhammer races and rules injected into them, Warhammer, and did I mention Warhammer?
    Man, that sucks! If you can gather a group of friends to play, Magic is super fun!
    I wasn't personally into Magic before 2013. I'd played it but hadn't taken the journey that I'm on now. It was only recently that 2 count 'em 2 comic/card shops opened up in my town, both specializing in Magic. At this point, I almost had to get into it because all of my friends seemed to enjoy it.

Like I said, Magic is a really social game if you make it so. Even if it isn't big in your area, it's a great way to bond with friends that you've already.