Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    RMC

Magic: The Gathering. The ultimate nerd card game.

Hey-a. Welcome to the Magic: The Gathering thread!

So you're probably here because you, like myself, love this game and wanna play with others.

Or maybe you're just curious and wanna know more about Magic.

To quote from Wizards website:
    "The Magic: The Gathering game, is the world's premier trading card game. It was the first of its kind, and it's still the best and the biggest.

In the Magic game, you play the role of a planeswalker—a powerful wizard who fights other planeswalkers for glory, knowledge, and conquest. Your deck of cards represents all the weapons in your arsenal. It contains the spells you know and the creatures you can summon to fight for you.

Trading card games like the Magic: The Gathering TCG combine collectable cards with a strategy game. You don't know what you'll get in a Magic booster pack. You just start a collection and trade with other players to get the cards you want.

The best part about a trading card game is that it's always changing. You design and build your own unique decks, and each Magic game you play is different. New Magic expansions are released a few times a year, and each new expansion brings new ways to stupefy and defeat your opponents.
    "

Magic is indeed, one of the biggest games in the world. Almost every country in the world has heard of Magic and has it's own communities. It's an incredibly addicting game!

I, personally, love the game and play it almost every day with my brother, my friends, and we love to play because every game is a different experience.

Want to get into the game, but don't know where to begin? Or are you just coming back and need a refresher on how to play?

Wizards (the company that makes Magic: The Gathering) has made a web series and guide on how to play. If you'd love to see it, you can locate that HERE

Wizards also hosts a program that you can play with others called Magic: Online. However, this also costs you money to play. But it's only a 10 dollar fee and you're free to do whatever you want.

There is other programs for MTG that I tend to mess around on are Cockatrice, Lackey, and Magic Workstation

Out of them, I like Cockatrice and recommend that one the most. But it's up to what you'd like to do.

If there's an interest for it, I'd love to play with a bunch of you. Just let me know, and we can play some games on Cockatrice.

Have fun!
    Last edited by RMC; 10-31-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Weasyl
    kaluna
    I love this game! >w<
    Just started playing a few months ago and I love it.
    I play all de tiem

Weasyl
    RMC
    Quote Originally Posted by zomiee View Post
    I love this game! >w<
    Just started playing a few months ago and I love it.
    I play all de tiem
    Neat! I started about 3 years ago. I haven't been able to put the game down since.

Do you generally play with friends or do you play in tournaments and the like?

Weasyl
    oly
    i tried to get into it like 10 years ago now but since I was a kid with no income I could barely ever afford cards, and had nobody to play with.

i might start playing again tho on one of the free thingies you listed. It's a fun game. and not having to buy cards is nice. :U

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    I've been playing this game for years. For the most part I stick to the physical card game, and play casual legacy. (A play type that allows all cards ever printed, with only a few limits.) I've been trying to get in a little on the more competitive scene, though I don't tend to like it because all creativity dies the further up you go.

Weasyl
    RMC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsyk View Post
    I've been playing this game for years. For the most part I stick to the physical card game, and play casual legacy. (A play type that allows all cards ever printed, with only a few limits.) I've been trying to get in a little on the more competitive scene, though I don't tend to like it because all creativity dies the further up you go.
    Yeah, I mostly just play EDH nowadays. I used to be a big Legacy and Standard player.

Now I just occasionally play Standard and never play Legacy.

As far as competitive scenes go, that's pretty much the breaks. If you're going to play for cash or whatever, you might as well be playing the best deck. I won't lie though, playing a brew and crushing the best deck is one of the best feeling ever.

My boyfriend and I just recently got into Magic, dove head-first, and starting spending an inordinate amount of our excess funds on buying cards on eBay. We also have a card shop about twenty-five miles away that lets us fill a decent sized box full of cards from a giant table of every kind for only a couple of bucks. :D
    Last edited by Chip; 10-31-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Yeah, I mostly just play EDH nowadays. I used to be a big Legacy and Standard player.

Now I just occasionally play Standard and never play Legacy.

As far as competitive scenes go, that's pretty much the breaks. If you're going to play for cash or whatever, you might as well be playing the best deck. I won't lie though, playing a brew and crushing the best deck is one of the best feeling ever.
    I tend to enjoy casual legacy the most because it gives me a chance to play around with weird deck types that do interesting things, but would be crushed in a competitive scene. That's the reason I can do things like make a paradox haze deck and still have fun with it. X3

Weasyl
    RMC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsyk View Post
    I tend to enjoy casual legacy the most because it gives me a chance to play around with weird deck types that do interesting things, but would be crushed in a competitive scene. That's the reason I can do things like make a paradox haze deck and still have fun with it. X3
    Word. Paradox Haze is my jams. Used to play that with Jhoira of the Ghitu and suspended huge spells. Fun times!

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    My boyfriend and I just recently got into Magic, dove head-first, and starting spending an inordinate amount of our excess funds on buying cards on eBay. We also have a card shop about twenty-five miles away that lets us fill a decent sized box full of cards from a giant table of every kind for only a couple of bucks.
    Glad to hear! My LGS has always been supportive of getting new players into the game and sell the same sorta deal. They sell stuff from all they way from 4th Edition to the present IIRC.
    Last edited by RMC; 10-31-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    I stopped buying cards years ago, but I still like to play. The power climb in the sets that have come out since I stopped buying makes it tough though. Literally everything I see other players drop these days seems absurdly broken to me.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.