Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Tagging and You

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #31

Quote Originally Posted by Lloxie View Post
    another question I had is: how do you search for multiple tags? (as in, submissions with ALL search terms, not just any of them?) Are AND/& searches currently supported, etc.?
    While the default behavior is a logical OR, logical AND and NOT can also be applied among tags with the + and - prefixes, as in

cat dog +fluffy +mammal -fish
    which translates to

(cat or dog) and fluffy and mammal and not fish
    You can also specify usernames, both inclusively and exclusively, as in

user:MyFavoriteArtist
    -user:IHateThatGuy
    This was once upon a time discussed in a tumblr post that I will totally get around to converting into a proper help topic one of these days.

Weasyl
    Rico
    Small request when it comes to tagging: is there any way to put similar tags on the same blacklisted word? For example, I have "rape" blacklisted, but I get a lot of stuff that's tagged "noncon" and "dubcon" and "forced_sex" and the like. Do I just have to blacklist those all individually? I would add the tags but I can't actually be on/look at rape pictures without feeling really sick. >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Kihari View Post
    While the default behavior is a logical OR, logical AND and NOT can also be applied among tags with the + and - prefixes, as in

which translates to

You can also specify usernames, both inclusively and exclusively, as in

This was once upon a time discussed in a tumblr post that I will totally get around to converting into a proper help topic one of these days.
    Ah, excellent, thanks for the info! This is very helpful. =3

-edit- ...d'oh. Looks like only one layer of quotes is allowed. >< Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Small request when it comes to tagging: is there any way to put similar tags on the same blacklisted word? For example, I have "rape" blacklisted, but I get a lot of stuff that's tagged "noncon" and "dubcon" and "forced_sex" and the like. Do I just have to blacklist those all individually? I would add the tags but I can't actually be on/look at rape pictures without feeling really sick. >_<
    Sadly as I understand it, you will. (This is similar to a question I asked on the previous page, heh) It'd be great if the site could implement an alias system like on various *booru-style image boards (and e621 etc.), though I understand that might be a bit complicated and take some serious work. For now though, you'll have to add every synonymous tag you can think of for something you want to avoid. I feel your pain, heh. Maybe some folks can work together to compile lists of similar tags to post somewhere for the time being, to help eachother remember words others might not have thought of?

Weasyl
    Rico
    Ah well, kinda sucks but I'd be happy to help compile tag lists in the future. c:

We could start compiling tags right now if anyone wants to...for whatever reason I don't feel comfortable starting a thread for it "Share your Tags" but I'd be happy to contribute if one where to appear. >.>;;

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf
    You could already easily just guess the commonly used tags from what's already been posted so you wouldn't need to compile a list, just by searching by keywords you have entered in your Submission Title and Submission Description.

I already have a pretty robust set of tags, but having a list for other people to refer to (so that they don't have to do the legwork) is a really nice convenience is why I suggested it. It doesn't hurt to create things to make the community more welcoming to newcomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Teahound View Post
    I'm still not a fan of others - even staff - being able to tag my stuff. Contact me to have me do it, sure, but just doing it for me? Feels a little intrusive. *shrug* Just my $0.02.
    Okay, please excuse the fact that I'm replying to the very first reply, first of all.

This is probably one of my favorite things about Weasyl so far. I'm not exactly the type to go around tagging other people's work, but I more than welcome people to tag anything I make.
    I should probably make a signature.
    *casually rolls over and does nothing*

I'm never sure what to say about this tagging issue, but the question I always have when tags come up probably leans on the "please don't tag my stuff side", even though at this time I wouldn't be appalled if it happened (to a degree).

But for my own example, I tag minimally or super specifically so my submission will show up in as few searches as possible. It's entirely a search issue for me. Triggering or mature content I filter out with rating, but otherwise it's not a matter of not wanting to describe the work, and definitely not an explicit attempt to bypass filters. It's to keep my submissions to my own corner, stumbled upon if found at all (and yes, that is more appealing to me than general exposure much of the time). I understand this could be alleviated with the friends only feature and various other tweaks to keep your submissions to only certain eyes, but wanting my submissions publicly accessible at the same time (to share a reference with someone offsite, etc.) brings up this weird crossroads for me between how thoroughly available I want them to be, outside of my profile and gallery themselves.

Essentially, keeping my presence fairly small, but not so literally as locking everything away would, so I could still share my submissions to my own extent without requiring people to follow me/have an account first - that's my ideal lately. This could always change as my comfort does (because honest, I'm like this everywhere rn, not just weasyl - ), but emphasis on "tag so people can find it!" gets me more hesitant than inspired to do it more broadly. I want my work easy to track down as I see fit, but I don't want to violate anything, and sometimes the line between the two feels thin.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #40
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Quote Originally Posted by ganache View Post
    I'm never sure what to say about this tagging issue, but the question I always have when tags come up probably leans on the "please don't tag my stuff side", even though at this time I wouldn't be appalled if it happened (to a degree).

But for my own example, I tag minimally or super specifically so my submission will show up in as few searches as possible. It's entirely a search issue for me. Triggering or mature content I filter out with rating, but otherwise it's not a matter of not wanting to describe the work, and definitely not an explicit attempt to bypass filters. It's to keep my submissions to my own corner, stumbled upon if found at all (and yes, that is more appealing to me than general exposure much of the time). I understand this could be alleviated with the friends only feature and various other tweaks to keep your submissions to only certain eyes, but wanting my submissions publicly accessible at the same time (to share a reference with someone offsite, etc.) brings up this weird crossroads for me between how thoroughly available I want them to be, outside of my profile and gallery themselves.

Essentially, keeping my presence fairly small, but not so literally as locking everything away would, so I could still share my submissions to my own extent without requiring people to follow me/have an account first - that's my ideal lately. This could always change as my comfort does (because honest, I'm like this everywhere rn, not just weasyl - ), but emphasis on "tag so people can find it!" gets me more hesitant than inspired to do it more broadly. I want my work easy to track down as I see fit, but I don't want to violate anything, and sometimes the line between the two feels thin.
    Hmm, that gets me curious. If there was an option to make your works not appear in searches, would you feel more comfortable with the tagging system and letting people tag your works (or tagging them better)? Just asking hypothetically.