Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Tagging and You

Quote Originally Posted by Taw View Post
    Hmm, that gets me curious. If there was an option to make your works not appear in searches, would you feel more comfortable with the tagging system and letting people tag your works (or tagging them better)? Just asking hypothetically.
    I totally would, I think! I'd have fewer nerves about getting broad with my tags that way.
    EDIT: if this could apply to selected submissions rather than all or nothing, that would be great. Since there are still some things I'd want findable, like commission sheets or anything else for offer.

This is also reminding me of a question I've had before but usually forgot just as fast (since my need for such a thing is far-off), maybe not even totally related to all of this, but is it conceivably possible to see some compilation of your own gallery's tags, or search them within just your own works? In the case it gets so big the organization would help?
    Last edited by ganache; 08-30-2014 at 07:01 AM.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #42
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Quote Originally Posted by ganache View Post
    I totally would, I think! I'd have fewer nerves about getting broad with my tags that way.
    EDIT: if this could apply to selected submissions rather than all or nothing, that would be great. Since there are still some things I'd want findable, like commission sheets or anything else for offer.

This is also reminding me of a question I've had before but usually forgot just as fast (since my need for such a thing is far-off), maybe not even totally related to all of this, but is it conceivably possible to see some compilation of your own gallery's tags, or search them within just your own works? In the case it gets so big the organization would help?
    If we ever did implement a "do not appear in search" function for submissions, I'm sure it'd likely be a folder option, so any work put into a folders with it marked would exclude it from a search or something. I'm not a developer though so it'd be up to them if it ever did become a thing.

As for your question - a compilation of all your own gallery tags would be neat. Sort of like a statistic thing, you mean, right? Could be something in the future possibly. Can't say for sure, of course!

Though if you ever do want to search your own works and filter them via tags you can search: +user:Taw +bat
    That would display all works by me with the tag "bat" on them.

10% fruit, 20% things, 15% concentrated flapping of wings, 5% silly, 50% rat and 100% reason to be called a fruit bat

I had a feeling there was a way to do it that I missed - thank you! And yes, all of that sounds right up my alley, if it could happen ;w;b

Quote Originally Posted by Teahound View Post
    I'm still not a fan of others - even staff - being able to tag my stuff. Contact me to have me do it, sure, but just doing it for me? Feels a little intrusive. *shrug* Just my $0.02.
    That is my issue as well, as there have been trolls running around adding and removing tags and as the owner of the submission, I feel powerless, so essentially a "community" function sort of removes the point of tags places by the owner as well as removes OUR power to remove and add tags. It feels invasive and strips us of control over our own submissions. If a tag doesn't fit it should be up to either the admin or the owner of the tag to change it. So far I've had a few artists i watched go back to FA because of this.

Those people need to be reported so the admins can take their tag-changing permissions away.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #46

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Under "Site Preferences" in Settings, there's a checkbox that says "Prevent other users from removing tags I place on my content." As it says on the tin, that will protect any tags that you place yourself from being removed.

If other users are harassing you with inappropriate tags, then like Socks said report them and we can strip those privileges from them.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketsuban View Post
    Other booru features worth stealing are implications, aliases and tag categories. Implications are obvious - lucario and gardevoir both imply pokemon, renamon and agumon both imply digimon. Aliases solve the big_breasts/large_breasts dilemma by letting people tag with either and silently converting one to the other on submit. Tag categories mean certain tags have particular meaning - a tag for a particular character, for example, gets marked as a character tag.
    This would be pretty cool to have in the tag system, especially aliases. Sometimes it's difficult to try and think of/remember all the possible variations of the tags for a submission. Also, what about commonly misspelled words? I know "Digitigrade" is misspelled quite a bit, usually "Digigrade" or "Digitgrade", sometimes with a hyphen in the word as well. Could common misspellings be included as aliases as well, somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by Hlavco View Post
    I'm fine with anybody tagging anything, but reading the comments here, I think maybe viewer-submitted tags should appear in a different color or section on the page than the artist-submitted tags. That way, the artists who "don't want their art associated with" a certain subject will know that their viewers can see that somebody other than the artist gave their piece a certain tag. The piece can be efficiently searched, and the artist maintains their integrity or whatever you'd call it.
    This would also be a nice feature to have, if possible. I think it could be helpful to artists to see what sorts of tags other users are adding. That way, they can consider adding tags they see often to their future works.

Weasyl
    GreenReaper
    There was another thread about community tagging. It didn't end so well. But when reading it I found it had a few valuable ideas, so I figured it should be mentioned here. And because I'm here, you get a half-hour of my thoughts on related topics as well. I know, I can sense your joy already. :-)

First off, making the suggestion feature optional is not such a big deal. Inkbunny has had soft-accept suggestions (member must reject), a few boxes to fill in for "important" keywords, policy regarding minimum keywording, and per-submission and per-account-default opt-out and per-user-suggestion-banning for several years now. We get maybe one or two complaints a month about it all. 1.85% of submissions have suggestions disabled, 2.17% of members with 10 or more submissions have it disabled by default on their submissions. Only a few people care about turning suggestions off, and the system basically works without them.

Yes, sometimes we get a special snowflake who thinks 'X' doesn't apply to their work, but on the whole it works well - and if artists get pissed off, they tend to blame/block the submitter, not the site, which is not the end of the world. Most of the time they've gone away before they know it's been rejected, anyway - conversely, a "useful" tag is often applied for long enough for the critical blocking feature to work even if it's ultimately rejected. Focus enforcement efforts on persistent failure to apply commonly-blocked tags, because it's those which make people think the system is broken.

As for the relevance/necessity of "accurate" tagging: it's a compromise. Yes, it's your art/concept; but it's everyone else's eyeballs, and the site-owners' code, disks, electricity and bandwidth. If you don't care about other people's needs/opinions, but do want structure, you can try hosting your own gallery. Plenty of free software out there… if you're lucky, you might even find some loosely-integrated community site.

Similarly, viewers who don't care about the submitter's opinion and only care about their work inasmuch as it can be categorized and selected to fulfill a particular need will do better on an imageboard, so there needs to be a limit to how much Weasyl caters to that mindset. It's hard to compete with e621 at what it does best. And really, do you want to? Yeah, it has great traffic, but that's only part of a shared art community.

What the dev team might want to do is revisit the decision not to implement full-text search (yet). Seriously, you have all these words you're not using and you argue with creators about the need to impose more of them? There's nothing magic about the relevance of tags. Besides, it's weird to title something "X" and not to be able to find it again by searching for "X". Discover trade FTS!

I'm not saying it's trivial, but we use the same database; it has a highly competent text search engine. There's plenty of guides out there; and with a little regexp_replace() magic, you could even make it track description @mentions. Want more words? Try data-mining the comments where people talk about that lovely piece of anus, and free your artists from the agony of having to reject such an accurate, descriptive tag.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 12-26-2015 at 07:09 AM.