Image mouseover cumbersome (mobile viewing, authors, filenames...)

Additional thoughts on the 'How?'

I figure I might as well append this, just to give a quick bit of suggestion. Furaffinity.net and
    Inkbunny.net, have both more or less already 'got this right', by different means in the details.

I think Inkbunny's general approach would probably scale better to having both the full blown site and a mobile website:
    Front page: Thumbnails show on both full blown and mobile site. Full blown browser can mouse over to see ALT text. Even if you can't use mouseover or are on a mobile browser, you can click the image (and go to it), or click the username below (and go to their gallery).
    Pages beyond the front page: ('See more', or 'Manage submissions'): Thumbnails show on both full blown and mobile sites. ALT text still shows over an image on a mouseover. Even if mouseover doesn't work or on a mobile browser, title of the work is shown in plain text (not clickable, but you can read it no matter how long it gets), and clickable username is below that.

(I don't think the wheel needs to really be reinvented on this one. There's really good case studies in them.)

:x To be honest I gave up on the mouseover because half the time it wouldn't show up or it'd stay put on the last image I moused over while my cursor is on another, or even showing the information from the last image on the new one!

I do enjoy your suggestion to fixing this though and hope it is taken into consideration when new features are being implemented. Though I would suggest that just the users name be displayed underneath the image when thumbnails are present, as well as the title above it (limited of course) that you can hover over to see it scroll on it's own or scroll it yourself by clicking and dragging it left - right like with tumblrs tags.