Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Collection Thread

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Collecting games is fun! I'd say my most prized game is a copy of Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, which is one of the most expensive PS games after Megaman Legends.

I found it in a yard sale for 1$ too, yay. It's a shame the game is total shit, though. Sometimes you wonder why they're worth so much.

Yeah, you know, it's absolutely crazy what you can find at a yard sale.

$60 got me oh, probably 60 NES games, a console and a ROB. Some rare games, mostly common, but has a lot of the "core set" and a few are even in box (dragon warrior boxed is high in demand)

I spent $35 and got the genesis, master systems, atari, colecovision + adapter, a total of about 230 games for those consoles, and a whole ton of controllers and peripherals for each. I have yet to turn the cartridges over to ebay like I intended, but some of the Atari games are worth $10, some even more, so it is actually a sort of lucrative business if you're a shrewd businessman and can get them in bulk often enough.

The other problem is getting rid of the really common cartridges that just can't sell, or aren't worth it. This is when you turn 'em into "nostalgic" MP3 players or external hard drives.

Weasyl
    RMC
    Since we're on the topic of retro games, have you considered trying to collect japanese consoles? I currently only own a Famicom along with the Famicom Disk System.

What's so attractive about the famicom is the amount of pirated games people have made for it. My favorites of the bunch are the bootleg "Mario" series.

Notable titles are

Super Mario World (NES)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZnl4eyu_Ao

Super Mario Bros 8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-idg7cOtGk

Super Mario Bros 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKoFn-5-aQ

and my all time favorite, Somari
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwBKW0kDHIQ

Along with pirate games and the like, there a large amount of great games made that never reached American shores. I believe someone under the name "Jewwario" or something does a series based on Japanese games that are fun to play and don't need a very large grasp of japanese to understand. I would check him out if you're interested in it at all.

As for current ventures, i'm trying to get my hands on a copy of Mega Man 3. Be it famicom or NES, I want it. It's my all time favorite Mega Man game.

I have considered getting a Famicom, but it's pretty low on my priority list since it is possible to play Famicom on the NES. You can buy an adapter online, or if you're lucky, some early NES games like Pinball or Gyromite might have an adapter already inside. I heard that the first sets of games had to be rushed out the holiday, so some magic with an intermediary board and connector was accomplished. There's every possibility that this is not true, but if you consider that a NES circuit board only takes up half the size of the cartridge, but a Famicom cart houses the board quite snugly, it seems like a reasonable answer.

At the least, Japanese Zelda 1 might be a good reason to get an actual Famicom, because of the microphone functionality for the Pols Voice ("rabbit") enemy.

Something really interesting to get my hands on would be a Dendy, a NES pirate/knockoff from Russia (the one place NESes were never sold). Apparently, it was extremely popular and has a very wide range of good games.

As for pirate games themselves... not so interesting to me unless they're full, quality romhacks (a la Raocow's Let's Plays). I might consider a few of the pokemon hacks (i actually know a store that stocks them), but ultimately, I try not to support pirate roms because it's just plain shady most of the time, rather than a labor of fandom/love. It just seems cheap and lazy.

Weasyl
    RMC
    FDS is enough reason for me to get a famicom, honestly. It's like trying to pull teeth to get it to run on a model 1 NES and im not even sure if it works on a NES2.

Zelda II, Metroid and I think Kid Icarus all sound vastly different from their NES counterparts. Plus you can save, which is pretty neat and makes Metroid a little less hard, imo.

Regardless, if you're gonna collect pokemon games and stuff, then you def. need to get the pikachu n64. That thing is cute as hell.

I've actually been thinking about building up my gameboy collection. But man, I wanted to start with the advanced and that thing, boxed is stupid expensive. It's my favorite of the gameboy series too. I need to have it, one way or another x.x

OH MAN, are any of you Pokemon collectors on pkmncollectors? XD That's what I came here to post about
    I collect Pinkie Pie and Sweetie Belle, and some Pokemon that nobody likes or cares about c:

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    OH MAN, are any of you Pokemon collectors on pkmncollectors? XD That's what I came here to post about
    I collect Pinkie Pie and Sweetie Belle, and some Pokemon that nobody likes or cares about c:
    If you collect Arcanines I will love you forever

Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    If you collect Arcanines I will love you forever
    Nahh, lots of people collect him though XD AKA way too expensive to collect
    I collect Stunky, Tangela, Maractus and Machoke

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #50

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    I'm from pkmncollectors. I don't post a whole lot there though, I just don't see the point in posting about every new thing I get because I'm constantly getting new things. I mostly just buy stuff there and do big collection updates.

You should post some photos of your Pokemon collections!