Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Collection Thread

Weasyl
    Karmarsi
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    Oh man I also have a crapload of Beanie Babies. I keep forgetting I have them though because they're stored away. Should get a picture of them sometime.
    Can't say I forget ab out mine, though. The net is above my head, or close to it when I sit at my laptop desk. Maybe I should take pictures of mine too. I got rare ones, even the McDonalds ones. I remember we went around the district trading with parents, looking for the Giraffe. XD

I collect retro video games, especially RPGs. I define retro as "anything made in the 20th century".

Currently I own these consoles:

- ColecoVision (with Atari extension)
    - Atari 2600
    - NES
    - Sega Master System (2 - one functioning)
    - Sega Genesis
    - N64
    - Game Gear
    - Game Boy Color (special Pikachu edition)
    - Gamecube (with GBA player)

I want a Virtual Boy and SNES next.

I have a small amount of games for each system (Most of my collection is 200 Atari titles and about 30 NES titles, thanks to yard sale grabs), but mostly I want to collect games that are historically significant rather than be a completionist. For example, in my Atari collection I have Adventure (the first game to feature an easter egg), Swordquest (Fireworld - significant because it was part of a contest with extravagant prizes), and E.T. (surprisingly actually "Quality" for being coded in 6 months by one man).

I'm also attempting to collect all the Pokemon games, FF cartridges (currently I have 1 and 3j), Phantasy Star 1-4, Dragon Warrior/Quest 2 and 4, and I would just love to afford a copy of Earthbound some day.

And when it is all complete I'm going to build the most epic containment system for all my consoles.

Weasyl
    aetius
    Got a manchukuo flag for my collection, fuck yeah.

I'm into the game collection stuff as well, particularly with rare/hard to find games and systems I generally missed in that era.

I'm particularly interested in restoring old arcade cabinets but that business doesn't seem that strong where I'm based.

I collect trade paperbacks! It's nothing too impressive and I don't have any pictures, but I'm proud of it so far. I'm a Marvel fan and it's absolutely killing me that I technically have more DC books. Luckily the majority of those are Vertigo collections of titles like Transmetropolitan and Preacher so they don't really count, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    I collect trade paperbacks! It's nothing too impressive and I don't have any pictures, but I'm proud of it so far. I'm a Marvel fan and it's absolutely killing me that I technically have more DC books. Luckily the majority of those are Vertigo collections of titles like Transmetropolitan and Preacher so they don't really count, haha.
    Comics, wooo. I've started my own collection of those.

Nothing so popular, but great none the less.

Weasyl
    RMC
    Last edited by RMC; 08-09-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    On the subject of Earthbound, good luck. I tried getting one for 70 beans back in the day and I thought that was way too much. Now i'm kicking myself every day of the week because I didnt snap buy it.

If you're really into RPG's btw, you should totally look into the SNES. They have some the best RPG's made. Examples being Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II and III (4 and 6 respectively), Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore. All pretty top notch games.

If you're as crazy as I am about this stuff, I've been in the market for a TurboGrapfx 16. Pretty underrated system. As well as a Neo Geo, but those are still really expensive.
    YES LET'S TALK ABOUT GAMES

Part of the reason I collect games is to "prove they exist". There's the rumor that E.T. was so rushed and so bad, all unsold and returned copies were buried in concrete... so of course I had to have a copy and try it for myself. (It's actually pretty good considering the circumstances) I managed to find Tengen's Tetris in my first NES grab, which of course is important because of that one lawsuit. (It's actually a much better version than Nintendo's)

Oh yeah. I want all the standard SNES titles. Before I was into furry I was a massive Square/Squaresoft fangirl and played pretty much every Square game I could to completion via emulator. So I have clear goals about the SNES titles I want to obtain, it's just that the games everyone loves are extremely high in demand since it was such a fondly-remembered and generally loved console, so I can't really spring on those just yet.

I know two friends who have a copy of Earthbound but I doubt I will be able to pry it away from them. Positively, this means I will always have free access to a copy, but it will never truly be mine ;__; Earthbound isn't the worst in terms of cost, though. FF1 and Chrono trigger are also in extremely high demand, at $60 and higher. Also, Cheetahmen II reportedly sells for $500, not that it's worth it by ANY means.

Oh, I also want a Vectrex. AFAIK most people don't even know about/remember them since they were released just before the Game Crash. I think they're neat because they're pretty much completely self contained. I hadn't considered Turbo Grafix or Neo Geo though... I will have to add those to my list. Atari Jaguar might be a decent grab too, but they pretty much never work due to bad design or construction and reportedly are nearly impossible to repair so if I ever do get one, it'd basically be relegated to "game museum" duty.

I want to eventually assemble the Sega Ark of Dreams, too. Imagine a Genesis Model 1 sitting on top of a Sega CD Model 2 with a tray extender, a 32X unit, and topped off with Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It is truly a beautiful sight. The 32x, of course, stacks, as does Sonic (I have seen a photo of 24 games plugged in at once, WORKING PERFECTLY) ... so it has the potential to become a truly massive, tentacord-ridden beast.

Beyond collecting, I also do cartridge restoration and want to get into console repair/replacement and possibly even modding (I've had plans to build a wooden, working NES). Right now my cleaning is pretty much limited to the standard stuff - pins and sticker/sharpie removal - but I want to be able to accurately reprint/laminate labels and replace batteries in the future. (I'm hesitant though - I'm not a trained solderer and battery explosions are never, ever pleasant)

But yes GAMES GAMES GAMES OMG NO ONE APPRECIATES THEM LIKE I DO