Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

intuos questions

So I been thinking of getting an intuos but wonder what the advantages are per model of 3 4 and 5 as I know the 4's have an issue with the USB.

But what is everyone's experience with them?

Weasyl
    serbus
    I have only ever owned a 3 and a 4 so that's what I'll talk about. The 3 have serious issues with the cable (which I have had to reconstruct, now it works fine) this is mostly due to the fact that it is not detachable and also because I tend to play with it while drawing. Personally 3 was my favorite because the pen rarely scratched the surface and it felt much more intuitive. Like you were using a real brush vs the 4 where I feel like I'm just using a pencil to simulate brush strokes.

The 4 uses USB ports which allow you to disconnect the cable, so it lasts much longer. The cable is standard so it is easily replaceable and since there are 2 ports the lifespan of your tablet is much longer before needing repair. All the buttons on the 4 are on one side which I like since I only ever use my left hand to press buttons. This gives me about 4 more buttons that I actually use. Both 3 and 4 are reversible for left handed users.

For complex programs like maya and flash I prefer the 4 because of the functionality. For painting programs like photoshop and open canvas I prefer the 3 because the touch sensitivity feels more natural and because the surface is much smoother (this is due to the actual surface; I've switched pen nibs to make sure it wasn't the pen). Both the intuos 3 and 4 are far superior to any other tablet I've ever used, so getting an intuos is definitely a good investment, regardless of version.

Hope this helps.
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Weasyl
    Ryunohito
    I've used an intuos 3 for quite a few years now, the only thing I could mention is if you scratch the pad it makes a bit of difference with the quality of your strokes, but they are replaceable. Aside from that I loved, and still love using it. Though recently I bought a Bamboo Capture, which is smaller, has the same pressure specs as the intuos3 and has touch controls, but only has a one sided pen.

And I've also had a wiring issue with my intuos 3, but after it was fixed its been working fine since. And on the other side, a friend of mine has an inuos4 had the USB inputs either break or ended up getting pushed into the tablet.

My honest opinion though is pretty much any intuos is worth the money

ah yea that's my issue / concern the threes if they scratch it affects quality, the fours if the usb connection decides to mess up as apparently the soldering is bad , something happens the you got an expensive paper weight. And the fives , I haven't heard of any issue with em, but with more than enough computer work, I should get something to avoid issue since there are a few dead zones on my Bamboo.

Weasyl
    serbus
    Honestly, the USB isn't really an issue for me. I've had my intuos 4 for 3 years. I've replaced the cable once because I lost it and my top port is only just now starting to deteriorate. I still have another good 3 years in the bottom port by which time I will likely have upgraded to a new tablet. If your tablet ends up getting a defect it is very likely that it will show up before your warranty is over. From my experience wacom is just generally built to last. If you're buying used ask if you can test it first (if possible).

The intuos 3 issue showed up after 2 years and I was fortunate that my mate was a skilled electrician and was able to fix it. She switched out the cable for a USB port and now I just use the USB no problem.
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Weasyl
    zenia
    The only Intuos I've used is the Intuos4 I purchased in February of this year. So far I have had no issues. I love it. The only thing that annoyed me was the rough texture, but with the amount of drawing I do, it is mostly smooth now.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    I've had two Intuos3 tablets. My first was a 4x5, and it lasted a good four years. It had minor scratches but nothing that truly hindered it. However, and this is weird, the actual touch pad was coming off. But again, after 4 years nothing had rendered it unusable.

So I decided to upgrade to a 6x8. I haven't had a single problem in 3 years I've had it. It has very slight scratches, but I can barely tell they are there. I even spilled Powerade all over it one night (you can image me shouting a lot of profanity) and the tablet was 100% fine.

So yeah, Intuos3 tablets are solid and I am very happy with mine. I do plan on getting an Intuos5, but for now I'm totally satisfied with my Intuos3. And like everyone else has been saying, Wacom is a great brand of tablets. I know many artists that have the Bamboo or Capture, and some with an old Graphire that isn't produced anymore. All of them are happy with their tablets.

yea, I have a bamboo, but if I want to continue drawing, I want to get a intuos, I am getting tons of computer jobs I do on the side, so Intuos, either a 3 or a 5 since the 4's have their flaws.

But next week is pay week so I should start with something. Though every computer job I get is a mini pay day.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by hypr View Post
    yea, I have a bamboo, but if I want to continue drawing, I want to get a intuos, I am getting tons of computer jobs I do on the side, so Intuos, either a 3 or a 5 since the 4's have their flaws.

But next week is pay week so I should start with something. Though every computer job I get is a mini pay day.
    I'm not familiar with the 5, but 3 is always a good choice. I've heard good things about the 5, though, so you might be happy with that, too. And they're not unreasonably priced, in my opinion.

Weasyl
    oly
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I even spilled Powerade all over it one night (you can image me shouting a lot of profanity) and the tablet was 100% fine.
    the beauty thing about them is that there aren't really any openings or mechanical parts to get liquids or anything else in, you'd have to actually take the thing apart to do that. I've gotten soup all over mine, tons of sweat(my hands get very sweaty in the summer) to the point of it being soaked slick, and no degraded performance at all.

I have an intuos 2 4x5. got it used maybe 4 years ago for like 50, 60 bucks and it still holds up like a fuckin rock. the surface is visibly worn and kinda scrathed a bit but it makes no difference to me as far as the feel of using it goes.