Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Anthro Tag Overused

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    The anthro tag has primarily been pushed as a standard for the sake of tag filtering. However, you guys are of course correct in that anthro is a very broad term. As such, what we could do is make the standard tag "anthro_animal", and then other things like "anthro_machine" for things like the Brave Little Toaster. Of course, we would need a simple way for people to add these tags, as they're not exactly intuitive. Thoughts?
    I agree with RX and Tartii, keep it. I still think it would be best to just search for or use an extra tag if you want/don't want to see a specific anthro subject instead of having to re-work the tag system.

Weasyl
    Roki
    Actually my argument is to define the tag "anthro" as what we would generally consider furries and scaleys. Remove it from submissions such as the Brave Little Toaster and creatures that can be mistaken as furries or scaleys but are, in fact, not. That is my argument. This makes it a less broad subject, removes need to use "furry" or "scaley" on artwork (which I'm sure there will be some artists who will not want those tags on their works), and should help with filtering. Instead of users who don't want to see furry/scaley artwork needing to filter furry, scaley, scalie, and so forth they can block the anthro tag and it should be more intuitive. It's not so much about searching for it either, it is about how the filter system works.

I feel as though folks were not quite getting that, so hopefully I've made it as succinct as it needs to be. I'm not arguing about changing the definition of the word, I'm arguing about changing the definition of the tag as it applies to this website.

Also: On the topic of the definition of the word anthro. Applying human emotions such as "that squirrel sure looks happy eating those seeds" is considered anthropomorphism in the scientific community. Applying an emotion to an inanimate object or animal is still considered anthropomorphism. In current practice of tagging? No. But I bet someone's going to get a chuckle out of tagging barns and things that look like they have faces as anthro and they would be correct as the definition stands.
    Last edited by Roki; 10-24-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Although anthro it self it just means anthropomorphic which also means a humanoid character, mostly you see these anthropomorphic characters in myths and legends, such a minotaur, a bull with a humanoid body and such. A furry describes actually a fursona, a humanoid character with animal traits which it can be resumed as an anthropomorphic creature. As you know, the furry fandom includes all species, including plants.

So I don't see the tag anthro as being misused. As as the names mentions it, anthro also applies to aliens, robots, and such. It doesn't have to have a human body, but it can have human characteristics. Such a human face, or ability to walk or move like a human, or talk like a human.

Weasyl
    Roki
    Yes, that is all technically correct. I think the tag is being overused though, not misused. Because it applies to such a broad spectrum it becomes useless as a filtering device.

Weasyl
    Ransom
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoll View Post
    A furry describes actually a fursona, a humanoid character with animal traits which it can be resumed as an anthropomorphic creature. As you know, the furry fandom includes all species, including plants.
    Well said. A creature doesn't need fur to be a furry.

Quote Originally Posted by Roki View Post
    Yes, that is all technically correct. I think the tag is being overused though, not misused. Because it applies to such a broad spectrum it becomes useless as a filtering device.
    I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Yeah, a bazillion submissions include the "anthro" tag, but that's because 99% of the submissions here feature anthropomorphic characters. The obvious solution would be to be more specific in your searches, use more tags.

Weasyl
    Roki
    Yes, using more tags is a necessity regardless. My argument is not about searches though, it is about filtering. I don't think this is a mountain out of a molehill so much as it is creating a tag that is useless for anything but running searches.

Here, this is how I'm seeing it:

1. The anthro tag can be applied to a very wide variety of subjects.
    2. Anthros are not by definition just furries.
    3. All furries are by definition anthros.
    4. Blocking the anthro tag will block more than just furries. It will also block aliens, robots, and anything with that tag that happens to have some human characteristics.
    5. Blocking the anthro tag then blocks everything but humans, landscapes, animals without cartoony expression, and related subjects without human characteristics.
    6. I do not think anthro as a tag should be used for subjects that are not furry and related. This narrows the definition and makes it useful as a filter. It also reduces the need for redundant tagging (for example, I've had to tag every submission of mine both furry and anthro, including some aliens which could be mistaken for either of those).

I am not arguing:

1. That we should redefine the word. I am arguing about redefining the tag.
    2. That we should add more tags for searching. I am arguing about filters and how useful the tag is for categorizing.

Does that make more sense? Right now there's a lot of furry art being posted, but once other genres start coming in I see the tag being so prolific and nebulous as more of a problem than a solution.

Weasyl
    Temrin
    If you try to keep "anthro" to just "furry" related things -you ARE redefining the word on this website-.
    Anthro is anthro and things should be tagged as such. I can see it being a pain to filter but honestly, use other key words then?
    Sure, will that take a bit longer to do? Yes. But anthro is being use properly (most of the time) and that should be kept that way. If you start telling people they cant use anthro as a tag word on something anthro, then people will start thinking of anthro differently and then, the definition is regards to this particular website will not be the same.

Thus causing a huge mixup of definitions.

Weasyl
    Roki
    Perhaps a better solution would be being able to use certain tags in conjunction with others as a filter device?

For instance, typing "anthro +furry +scaley +scalie" would block all of those things while leaving the remainder of the anthro tag unblocked, so you still see things other things tagged anthro. I think that had been suggestion previously but to my knowledge isn't implemented and if it were that would render my argument moot. I tried to test it out by using "anthro + furry" but it came out as "anthrofurry" and didn't actually do anything.
    Last edited by Roki; 10-25-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: grammar

Weasyl
    Zalcoti
    There's going to be a few tags overused. Anthro is just a big thing, too big to really put in smaller groups without upsetting people. If people want to search for certain anthropomorphic images, well then they can just add more words to the search or use different words entirely. And don't force the word FURRY on people, that will just cause more problems.
    Last edited by Zalcoti; 10-25-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Anthro comes way back before the furry fandom existed as we know it today. Ancient cultures had furries and were part of rituals, you know, people dressed up as animals, believing in their animal self that represents them. And of course deities that were half human and half beast. Those are anthros, can't really redefine something just cause of some bizarre feeling. Seriously. Why is it being overused when it is being used properly?

Though, to make this thing clear: "All furries are anthros, yet not all anthros are furries." That's the reality of the word itself. As aliens, robots, talking objects, animals, etc are anthros. Yet some of them don't fall into the furry fandom.