Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Anthro Tag Overused

Quote Originally Posted by Roki View Post
    All furries are by definition anthros
    I don't believe a tag can be "over used" unless it is use more than necessary in the submission's tag list. One more thing I would like to point out about one of your statements generalizing anthros and furries, "All furries are by definition anthros" is that even tho there is some confusion among those inside and outside the fandom is that NOT all furries are anthros, but some are actually zoomorophs. Zoomorophs is something that are given the attribution animal characteristics or qualities of a god. A werewolf or a demigod would be such an example.
    Normality is an absurdity of society

Weasyl
    Ransom
    Quote Originally Posted by Roki View Post
    Perhaps a better solution would be being able to use certain tags in conjunction with others as a filter device?

For instance, typing "anthro +furry +scaley +scalie" would block all of those things while leaving the remainder of the anthro tag unblocked, so you still see things other things tagged anthro. I think that had been suggestion previously but to my knowledge isn't implemented and if it were that would render my argument moot. I tried to test it out by using "anthro + furry" but it came out as "anthrofurry" and didn't actually do anything.
    So you want to block "furry" while leaving "anthro" unblocked? Then just block "furry."

Weasyl
    Sneak
    Yeah, I think far to many furries misuse the term "anthro" -- I've always argued that. The same goes for feral, IMO. Feral doesn't denote a horse walking on 4 legs. It denotes a wild or untamed animal. That term misuse always bothered me.

Great discussion going here, I'm glad someone brought this up.

There are anthropomorphic demigods, also were wolves are included in it. I knew about anthropomorphic creatures way before furries as I've been interested in mythology since early ages. And tons of the demigods were anthropomorphic. And even gods and goddesses. Such the egypctian goddess Hathor, she is an anthropomorphic goddess. It does not exclude gods or goddesses, but by the very fact than an animal such a dog or cat may talk, or have at least a communication level with other creatures, they are anthropomorphic. It's not just the body, but language, behavior, and such, by having just one of them they fall into anthropomorphic.

It's not overused, rather, just use furry for furry fandom searches, as all furries are anthros, but not all anthros are furries.

Although you are right, but at the same time a feral should be on their four legs. As the description says: wild, untamed. The only description to show them are actually animals who use their four limbs to move. You don't call a person feral cause they are wild, you call them wild and yet they still use two limbs to move and other two limbs use them for carrying something. The big difference between humans and animals are how we use the upper limbs.
    Last edited by Skoll; 10-27-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Weasyl
    Zalcoti
    Feral is when a domesticated animal returns to the wild, not just because it has four legs and can talk like a person. Also, a wild animal that was never domesticated is not considered feral at all.

If any word is misused here , it's feral.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #36

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoll View Post
    You don't call a person feral cause they are wild, you call them wild and yet they still use two limbs to move and other two limbs use them for carrying something. The big difference between humans and animals are how we use the upper limbs.
    Actually no, there is a phenomenon called feral children, so people are occasionally called feral.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapydos2
    Feral is when a domesticated animal returns to the wild, not just because it has four legs and can talk like a person. Also, a wild animal that was never domesticated is not considered feral at all.

Any alternate word suggestion for this then?

Weasyl
    Sneak
    Quad is what I went by before the fandom when I drew horses that weren't furry. I also didn't specify anything until the Fandom. A horse on 4 legs was a horse. A horse on 2 legs was a furry. The fandom is what came up with the term "feral" for a regular animal.

Weasyl
    Zalcoti
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    Any alternate word suggestion for this then?

There shouldn't be any. Anthropomorphic is anthropomorphic whether it's a very realistic dog with human emotions and thoughts or a dog that sings and dances while wearing a pimp suit with plantigrade legs. Here's a link describing what I mean. http://zimeta08.deviantart.com/art/T...thro-113065262 I use this a lot, and other people use this categorization a lot to describe the levels of anthro.

Feral just doesn't sit right since not all animals can be called feral to begin with, and the ones that can, well I wouldn't want to be near one.

If people did their own research on what anthropomorphism is and how it is used, we wouldn't be trying to split hairs over this issue.

Weasyl
    Sneak
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapydos2 View Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by this <3

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #40

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Quad is what I went by before the fandom when I drew horses that weren't furry. I also didn't specify anything until the Fandom. A horse on 4 legs was a horse. A horse on 2 legs was a furry. The fandom is what came up with the term "feral" for a regular animal.
    This isn't accurate either because not all animals are quadrupeds. Kangaroos, ostriches, penguins, etc. are all bipedal.