Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Anthro Tag Overused

Weasyl
    oly
    Something that looks like it has a face is not the same as something that actually has one.

A barn that you think looks kinda like it has a shocked face is not anthro. It's a barn. Anthro means that it is something non-human given human attributes. If a barn kinda looks like it has a face that's not anthro; if you paint a portrait of a face on one that is also not anthro; if you actually make the barn alive and give it a face, that is anthro.

Weasyl
    Roki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

"Examples include animals and plants and forces of nature such as winds, rain or the sun depicted as creatures with human motivations, and/or the abilities to reason and converse. The term derives from the combination of the Greek ἄνθρωπος (ánthrōpos), "human" and μορφή (morphē), "shape" or "form"."

Quote Originally Posted by Roki View Post

"Examples include animals and plants and forces of nature such as winds, rain or the sun depicted as creatures with human motivations, and/or the abilities to reason and converse. The term derives from the combination of the Greek ἄνθρωπος (ánthrōpos), "human" and μορφή (morphē), "shape" or "form"."
    Which means even just talking animals falls under that.

Weasyl
    oly
    Quote Originally Posted by Roki View Post

Exactly, so just looking like it could be alive doesn't count, it has to actually have some element of humanity to it.
    If I draw a coffee mug that has a face drawn on it, that shouldn't be tagged anthro, but if I draw a coffee mug that actually has a face it should.

Weasyl
    Ceowolf
    i think that if people are searching for something, they would search for multiple keywords because anthro has such a broad coverage. if you search for something and dont find it, you look again under something else and, as previously stated, if you go messing with the boundaries of a word then it also becomes useless because you not finding what it truly encompasses
    Durp wolf is durp!

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16
    Weasyl
    Ben
    The anthro tag has primarily been pushed as a standard for the sake of tag filtering. However, you guys are of course correct in that anthro is a very broad term. As such, what we could do is make the standard tag "anthro_animal", and then other things like "anthro_machine" for things like the Brave Little Toaster. Of course, we would need a simple way for people to add these tags, as they're not exactly intuitive. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    The anthro tag has primarily been pushed as a standard for the sake of tag filtering. However, you guys are of course correct in that anthro is a very broad term. As such, what we could do is make the standard tag "anthro_animal", and then other things like "anthro_machine" for things like the Brave Little Toaster. Of course, we would need a simple way for people to add these tags, as they're not exactly intuitive. Thoughts?
    Just keep it as is. Anthro is anthro.

Merf...honestly as a tag in of itself, yes, anthro is insanely broad, and it is going to be over used. So your going to need to put in more keywords.
    But for the sake of filtering...if somebody is going to be offended by a lot of 'anthro' art, on a website that is supposed to welcome all types of art, they really kinda just need to put up with it...? Anthropomorphics are just a huuuuge variety, its not one little thing. So if people are looking to use the term 'anthro' in hopes of filtering out all furry artwork...but are not getting the result they want...I don't think they ever will? =n=''

Forgive me if I'm completely reading this wrong, but I see no point in trying to make a website have an ability to filter out one giant genre out of an entire art community. Its just not going to be possible.

For the sake of tagging, I don't see a problem with anthro being over-used, as long as more terms are added to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartii View Post
    For the sake of tagging, I don't see a problem with anthro being over-used, as long as more terms are added to it.
    Hence the 3 tags or more rule

Quote Originally Posted by RX-149Dragonite View Post
    Hence the 3 tags or more rule
    So then what is the issue? Or am I missing something?