Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Anthro Tag Overused

Weasyl
    Roki

Anthro Tag Overused

So, here's some of the more common tags I have been seeing floating around just to have for reference:

Type:
    Anthro - An anthropomorphic being; applicable to everything that can be interpreted as having human traits without actually being human.
    Furry - Furred anthropomorphic beings; more applicable to talking animals but can carry negative connotations outside of furry community. Applicable to anything that can be interpreted as furry (animalistic aliens, etc).
    Scalie/Scaley - Similar to "furry" but denotes scaled beings.
    Human - A human or being that can be interpreted as human (vampire, etc).
    Humanoid - A creature with humanoid type features; could be an alien, a vampire, a snake person, or a kemonomimi by equal turns.
    Kemonomimi - Essentially a creature with mostly human features and a few animal features such as ears and a tail.

I feel like the anthro tag is over applied. Anthro under its current and literal definition must be applied to almost every submission that isn't music, a landscape, an inanimate object, or a feral animal. Furries, scalies, aliens, cars with grills that look like smiles, dancing toasters, jack o' lanterns, and kemonomimi fall under that same tag too, which I think will eventually render it useless for filtering unless you only want to see straight up humans. I feel anthro should be defined as applying to "furry" and "scaley" creatures. This is the most common use of the tag currently, with the few technical exceptions listed above. This would give it a less broad subject range that can be further defined by species and optionally the aforementioned scaley/furry tags.

Does that go against the dictionary definition of anthropomorphic? Yes.

Does it make it more applicable as a tag in the future? I sure think so.
    Last edited by Roki; 10-23-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Relevancy

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Maybe people could be more specific when using the "anthro" tag? Because you're right, and this was mentioned in another thread, the dictionary definition for anthropomorphism is much more broad than some people may realize. If I were to put, say, "Anthro tiger" instead of just "anthro", people who search that know that they will specifically see an anthro furry tiger, as opposed to just typing "anthro" and getting all kinds of creatures and objects.

So yeah, in that case, I'd encourage people who draw a picture with an anthropomorphic subject of any kind to add more tags than just "anthro", and likewise the person looking for a specific type of say, a furry subject, would search for more than just the "anthro" tag.

Weasyl
    Roki
    While this would be more specific it would also create a ton of extra tags: "anthro_tiger" "anthro_cheetah" and so forth. My concern is actually that the anthro tag will be too general a label and make adding it to your filter overzealous. You'll block way more than just anthro animals.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Roki View Post
    While this would be more specific it would also create a ton of extra tags: "anthro_tiger" "anthro_cheetah" and so forth. My concern is actually that the anthro tag will be too general a label and make adding it to your filter overzealous. You'll block way more than just anthro animals.
    Ahh, I gotchya now, misunderstood you at first. You make a good point. However, I think that what is defined or expected to be "anthro" varies from person to person. It might get a little difficult to discern which definition should be applied to the "anthro" tag.

I honestly can't think of any more ways to work with the "anthro" tag filter. Maybe someone else does?

Overuse of the anthro tag is by people who are using the word incorrectly, thinking it is specific to furries.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    Overuse of the anthro tag is by people who are using the word incorrectly, thinking it is specific to furries.
    But then we get people who think their artwork isn't furry, which is a problem I've run into.

Something needs to be done where the definitions of each term are set in stone.

Weasyl
    Ryunohito
    Would labeling "furry" art as "anthro" AND "furry" help anything? Or does that throw a wrench in the gears?

Weasyl
    Roki
    I think anthro ought to just be applied to furries and closely related types of subjects to reduce the volume of anthro tag use. By its literal definition it is very broad.

Weasyl
    Temrin
    If its anthro, then tag it as such. If you start requesting people tag it not really what the definition of anthro is, then you start messing the concept of the word and what its supposed to mean :/

Weasyl
    Roki
    That's the thing, the definition is exceptionally broad. A car with a face is anthro, so is a furry, so is a barn you think has a shocked face. That is all technically anthro.