Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Weasyl
    Algorithmus
    As someone who just browses other people's art for fun, I probably won't care too much if they drew it or not. Of course, I would be under the impression that they drew it because it's in their gallery, but since I don't commission people, it's not an issue. However, I understand that other people do commission others, or are looking for other people to do commissions or trades and such with, and it would be important to those people whether or not that artist drew the said picture or not. However, I don't think people like to dig through people's galleries just to find out whether or not they drew all the work, and unless it's really obvious, you should just be able to tell if the work in someone's gallery is stuff they commissioned or drew themselves just by looking at the previews. I suppose that's what having a collections section should be for.

Y!Gallery had an extras section for stuff like that, but they used it for artwork that falls outside of the focus of that gallery. The way it works is that you simply link your pictures to the extras section; your images aren't actually stored on the site, and you can't fave them, but you can comment on them.

Is there some feature in collections where you can link the commissions to the source image if they're on this site?

Weasyl
    Springdragon
    I have mine sorted by folders.

I really want to be able to show off and use the art that I commissioned of my characters. Obviously, I can't submit them to my gallery because I don't want it mixing in with my own work. However, I also can't link, collect, or favorite them from anywhere because they aren't uploaded to any art site. It was a private commission from a game site and the images are hosted on photobucket and the like. For now, they're just collecting dust in a folder on my computer.

So yes, it would be really nice to have separate galleries for purchased work and created work.

Weasyl
    Trianine
    Personally, I love the collections folder. Am I reading this correctly, that uploads to collections must already exist on-site?

As a compromise between requiring half a dozen galleries for one person and in staying with the for-you-or-by-you policy, it would be nice to amend the collections folder to allow for uploads from off-site, with something (like a colored border) to signify that a user or artwork isn't actually/originally present on Weasyl, and offer the relevant links to the original site/artist. Regarding RX-149Dragonite's complaint, separating notifications for submissions and collections would be a nice compromise, assuming that users don't continue to upload "for-you" artwork into their submissions.

Weasyl
    Minka
    Since we are on the topic.. When you see a work that is a collection piece, will the member listed at the top (aka in the title) be the artist or the commissioner? And if it's the artist, how do we know who the piece was for if they do not put the commissioner's name in the description? Will it automatically show up in the tags?

I only upload my own art here, I already have a gallery full of other people art that I commissioned, but I don't find it problematic for others to upload their commissioned pics. I mean it's theirs, they paid to have it made and they have every right to upload it to their account with proper crediting to the artist really. People want to show off what they bought, and not every artist is on this site, and even if some are they may go by a completely different username.

Weasyl
    Mayhem
    Personally I love the collections idea.

I have seen a lot of people upload art they have commissioned and not put it in the title or not link to the actual artist. Like just putting "Drawn by Mayhem" Well which Mayhem?

So collections helps with the whole, who drew it and showing off the talent of that artist.

I just wish there was an option when uploading (like a checkbox) that said "commissioned" and when people checked it. It would somehow make it stand out differently from the rest of the gallery. Like put a border on it, or automatically insert the words "commissioned art piece:" before the title of it.
    And maybe a place to insert a link to the original artist page so that it can automatically show a link to them.

I was wondering about collections. If I add someones art to my collection, then they delete it from their gallery, Will it remain in my collection?
    If not I would think we should suggest that it does, I think the commissioner should have the right to keep it in their gallery because it is their bought artwork.

Weasyl
    Bobskunk
    Reading this thread I see a lot of really good concerns and questions about collections and stuff. While a "this work was commissioned" checkbox solves some problems, and "submit to collections" solves others, I think the roots of this problem go a bit deeper. The collections idea is absolutely brilliant, but it's due for some extra thought/writing. I've got some ideas of my own that could improve the collections dynamic and hopefully cut down on uncertainty. I hope they don't sound too bad, overcomplicated or derivative. I'm just passing time before class after an all-nighter.

As it is right now, the uploader is the basically the submission's owner and a collector gets a link to it. Pretty straightforward, but not exactly optimal when both creator and commissioner/subject can upload- this has created some confusion and even anger, and also raises control issues. If everyone used the site like they were "supposed to," assuming that the submission creator is intended to be the submission owner, the artist would upload a work and everyone in it gets to collect it, but the sheer backlog some artists have to upload is a serious detriment. This is especially so when some users they'd want to send the collection to don't have accounts yet, and having to go back and edit submissions when someone does sign up is yet another pain. This also brings up issues like what happens to a commissioned work when the artist deletes all their submissions- even if the commissioner still has the image saved, part of the whole commissioning experience is to have others see, favorite and comment on it.

I'm thinking a system could work where a given submission has an option for the uploader to choose roles for other users, including themselves. At its simplest, you'd have the roles split up between artist/creator and commissioner/subject, especially when there are multiples of each. So if an artist uploads a picture that has another user as the subject, or they paid for the work, they can set themselves as an artist and the other user as a subject. Conversely, a commissioner can post an image, set themselves as a commissioner, and set the work's artist as... well, the artist.

Some details like control of submission information/tags will have to be hashed out, if all/some/one stakeholder in an image get to write the description, as well as how deletions are handled (I'm assuming leave it up until the last referencing submission entity is deleted), but I think it could really streamline the process and emphasize every participant in each picture. It might also be expandable to support things like collaborations, where inking, coloring and other components can be attributed to different users. This might not be as helpful, since it can simply be placed in the description. However, a standard but optional section where you can see different roles both for artists and subjects still has its utility.

Even without major changes, if generally accepted practice is to have the work's creator be the submission "owner" then a commissioner should be able to swap roles with another user. If I upload something an artist did three years ago, it might not be a priority for them to upload it. However, it would be in my gallery, and it would end up in their collections, fragmenting their gallery and potentially hampering their organization. If I was able to transfer ownership, though, they'd get an "accept/ignore" prompt like collections and friends, where accepting prompts them to confirm/change the description and tags. After that, the submission appears in their gallery, in my collections, all without another upload or requiring the artist to search through file archives or have the picture sent to them by other means- I can imagine this being done in two clicks. One, if an "I'm feeling lucky"-esque button is there in addition. Something like the ability to request a collection would be nice, too. This could deal with integrity/consistency issues while making it easier on both

I've been putting off writing up this idea for a few months, but I'm thinking it's time to try to put it to words and write up a thread on it. With the open beta and some vocal concerns about the collections system that may or may not have been assuaged by policy updates, it's probably time to overhaul collections as I believe it has really, really massive potential in an art site, particularly one with such a large community of commissioned art.

Lemme know if any of that makes sense. I'm putting off making a thread about it until I have the idea more or less 'right', and much more organized than it is in this post.