Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

People uploading art they didn't make, but they commissioned

Yeah, this is a question I've had in my mind for a bit

What's the ruling on people uploading artwork they didn't make, but they commissioned?

I'm confused since my assumption was that the collections feature was to be used for this purpose, but some of the pics I've run into don't use it.

Otherwise, I'm personally against it because A. people should fill up their galleries with their own creations and B. it gets hella confusing to separate a person's art from art they commissioned.

So what's up?

Weasyl
    Temrin
    Collections are used when the artist is already on this site. If the artist isnt on this site, then you cannot add it to the collection because its not there, right?

People are allowed to upload images that were made for them, is my understanding. (i would assume as long as credit is available to the actual artist)

Quote Originally Posted by Temrin View Post
    People are allowed to upload images that were made for them, is my understanding. (i would assume as long as credit is available to the actual artist)
    Eh, that doesn't ring well with me because it more or less makes Weasyl just an image hosting site for people who commission things, instead of an art site, ya know?

Weasyl
    Temrin
    Eh, i differ in oppinion. Not every person in the world knows how to draw or sing or write etc. Those people who post here with their art they have gotten from others, its actually helping advertize for artists who arent here. As long as they arent claiming it as their own work i feel it should be alright. Heck, a client of mine uploaded pictures of mine and when i saw, i offered to upload them on my account so he could "collect" them and thats what we did. He just didnt know i was here at the time

Sure not all will be as willing, but i dont think its so bad if people who want to show support for artists theyve have purchased things from. But i do see where you are coming from. With the whole image hosting feel. But i dont really think its that big of a deal. Image posting site to me, would be uploading pictures and photos of the same thing, slight differences, or a million photos of ones self, etc. XD

And I'm against the Collection feature. Even if the artist would be on the site, I will not use it. I want full control over my submissions.
    Let's say some artist left the fandom because of <enter reason here> and deletes his gallery. If I'd use the collection system, it would probably get deleted as well.
    Not an option for me.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
    Weasyl
    Ben
    Our intention is to strengthen the collections system so that it can mimic all the behavior of the commissioner uploading it to their gallery, without consuming additional HDD space, and to the satisfaction of the public. We're working on adding the ability for the person who commissioned it to amend a description, and I've proposed that a submission get a second wind on the front page every time it's added to collections, for users to be able to sort collections into folders, and for the person who accepted the collection to start getting comment notifications on the piece, based on community feedback. I'm not sure if there would be a way to make it so collected works cannot be deleted unless all submission owners disassociate from the piece, but if it is, that would be superb.

But yes, users can upload things made for them.
    Last edited by Ben; 10-22-2012 at 05:21 AM.

Weasyl
    Mewtwolover
    Quote Originally Posted by RX-149Dragonite View Post
    B. it gets hella confusing to separate a person's art from art they commissioned.
    Actually it doesn't get confusing at all mainly because it's almost always mentioned in the description if the pic is commissioned. I've been over 6 years in FA(and other art sites) and I've never had problems with separating a person's art from art they commissioned.

I am actually all for commissioners uploading artwork made for them.
    An "Image hosting site" is like photobucket, where anybody can upload whatever they want, even if it is not theirs or made for them. Thus the image site gets spammed with all sorts of junk.
    A commissioner uploading images they are proud of is another story. They are uploading art for THEM, as well as advertising for the person they got the art from. I personally LOVE it when people upload artwork I made for them. Not only is it another plug in for me, I also love to read what they think about it, and what others think as well. It's a great system imo.

As for having a hard time differentiating between what they drew and what they didn't draw....that should be easy to tell? Everybody has their own styles, and each style should be able to be differentiated between these people. Are there imitators? Yes, but it would be an incredibly rare case for an artist to upload something that wasn't drawn by them...but is exactly like their style. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartii View Post
    As for having a hard time differentiating between what they drew and what they didn't draw....that should be easy to tell? Everybody has their own styles, and each style should be able to be differentiated between these people. Are there imitators? Yes, but it would be an incredibly rare case for an artist to upload something that wasn't drawn by them...but is exactly like their style. Make sense?
    What I don't like is when I have somebody on my watchlist who uploads art that they commissioned, and I get the notification saying they uploaded something and I'm thinking "Oh, someone posted art they made, let's see it!" and it turns out is isn't theirs. It's just kinda annoying when that happens.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by RX-149Dragonite View Post
    What I don't like is when I have somebody on my watchlist who uploads art that they commissioned, and I get the notification saying they uploaded something and I'm thinking "Oh, someone posted art they made, let's see it!" and it turns out is isn't theirs. It's just kinda annoying when that happens.
    Typically they tell you who the artist is, so hey, you just found a new artist to watch. Both you and the artist benefit in their own ways. What's the problem here? It's quite the same on... nearly every artsy site, really.

However, when the re-uploader claims the stuff as their own, or they do not provide any information or links to the original artist, then yes, that's a problem.