Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 57
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Retired Staff Frank LeRenard's Avatar
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Land of the Finns
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by ali
    or a doorbell with no wiring ringing
    I'm assuming you mean it wasn't operational. Anyway, electronic junk seems to always be caused by magnetic induction or something like that. You've got stray currents floating around your house or building or whatever (every building does, because the way powerplants operate does not involve a constant, consistent generation of power; it hinges on the need, environmental effects like storms or solar flares, and other general producers of electromagnetic noise), said currents (being moving charges) generate magnetic fields that then generate currents in other wires, even ones that aren't hooked up to anything (this is freshman physics stuff). Sometimes it makes things go ding. We had a phone in one of the rooms of my old house that used to ring on random occasions, too, and the speakers on my computer at my current workplace occasionally crackle just a bit. I know electrons are charged, I know magnetic fields move charged particles, I know electronics work via the moving of electrons by way of magnetic fields, so I assume that's probably why these things happen.
    It is more fun to say it's ghosts, sure, but that's also a really lazy explanation and just doesn't merit too much consideration from my point of view.
    The problem with trying to explain these kinds of things, though, is that I wasn't there, and again, it only happened once (or a few times, whatever) and no one really took a good solid record of it. Memories are fickle things and change a lot of the important details, so you can tell me 'No no, it didn't happen that way', and all I can do is say, 'Are you sure?' And then we just go in circles forever. Would you believe me if I told you I had a pet dragon? You certainly couldn't prove me wrong. But you'd probably assume I was lying because you have a bigger picture of the world, in which dragons do not fit.

  2. #12
    My great-great grandmother died in my grandmothers house and I recall seeing a black cloud floating in front of the headboard, what made it even scarier was the fact that the headboard had a mirror (it was one of those dresser like headboards) and I didn't see it in the mirror. Much else didn't happen, it moved towards me and I gusted up the strength to run away and when I went back it was gone.

    In another house/apartment we lived in - in my brothers rooms I heard noises so I went to go throw ice at 'em and I saw this imp like creature at the foot of his bed, he was flailing around in his sleep mumbling and speaking weird. I just shut the door and went back to my room and locked my door. :I

    So yes, I believe, though I haven't had any recent experiences so I'm at ease for now. I've explained these happenings to religious folk and they just heeded me to stay away from them, so I hope I'm being believed and am not crazy (mostly the former, the latter is quite accurate).

  3. #13

  4. #14
    Regular ChitterBox's Avatar
    Weasyl
    ChitterBox
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    So the curtain moves without any wind, why assume ghosts?
    Don't know if this is referencing me or not, but my post pretty much said it's just something we don't understand. Or maybe I misworded it.

  5. #15
    There's a ton of crap in the world I don't understand or science can't answer for me. It's generally more fun to assume it's some weird crazy superstitious stuff than pretend it has a logical explanation.

    I'm not one of these psychotic annoying MLP fans that posts pony memes everywhere and shoves it down everyone's throat like it's some kind of religion so I hope I don't come off that way when I reference an episode of the show as kind of a good example of it being fun to be scared or awed or amazed by the weird, enigmatic, or creepy sometimes. (Episode was Nightmare Night by the way.) A lot of good fantasy books tend to explain many aspects of magic or mythology but still have this mystique about them which is never explained, or which the characters admit to understanding. I think it's human nature to have questions we can't answer entertain or interest us to some degree, and finding (or inventing) our own answers can be a good stretch for the imagination.

    TL;DR it's fun to believe in.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16
    Retired Staff Frank LeRenard's Avatar
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Land of the Finns
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattie Rayner
    Don't know if this is referencing me or not, but my post pretty much said it's just something we don't understand.
    Not strictly. Just using it as an example.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai
    I think it's human nature to have questions we can't answer entertain or interest us to some degree, and finding (or inventing) our own answers can be a good stretch for the imagination.
    I know. I write fantasy, myself, so I understand the importance of not writing a textbook about how magic operates in the work (it's all about the imagination in things like that). I only get bothered when people shut off their brains to the degree that they start falling for scams. Like, pondering the existence of ghosts and whatnot is cool, but don't go spending $800 a minute to talk to Sylvia Browne about your dead grandmother. Just keep your faculties strong enough that you stay safe, is all I would ask of people.

  7. #17
    There is intelligent life out there in the universe, you can tell because they've made no attempts to contact us

    Ghosts are as real as you and I

    Zombies; while outbreaks are rare, they are quickly eliminated and issued with a press blackout, which is why you never hear about them, unless you were part of one

    Go ahead and call me crazy, I'm used to it <3

  8. #18
    Junior LoboSabio's Avatar
    Weasyl
    LoboSabio
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Grand Fenwick
    Posts
    3
    I personally don't believe in ghosts. You have to keep in mind that the human brain is susceptible to a phenomenon known as pareidolia, which, for those who don't know, is then phenomenon of seeing significance in vague or random stimuli. This extends to seeing faces or hearing sounds when there were no faces or sounds to begin with. It could very well be that that ghost you thought you saw was just this phenomenon occurring.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    Go ahead and call me crazy, I'm used to it <3
    so edgi

  10. #20
    TURBOTASTIC!!! AtomiKamikaze's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    171
    Yes, yes and yes. Especially ghosts and spirits, and it helps I got a cousin who's a medium. Haven't spoken to her in a while, though!

    I can go really deep about spirits, reincarnation, dimensions, etc, but I don't feel like writing essays. d: My beliefs have boosted my self esteem and understanding, so it helped me out personally but I ain't a fundamentalist.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •