Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    ali

do you believe in the supernatural?

HEYYY okay so i really love these discussions of spirits/ghosts/whatever you call them. do you believe in them? why or why not? and if you do, have you had any ~spooky~ experiences?

i personally have had unexplainable experiences (in my opinion) that lead me to believe ghosts and spirits actually exist. a few situations are as follows...

1. after my grandmother had passed away, days later my grandfather came to visit. during this time, the doorbell was inoperable- there was no wiring, it was completely defunctional. well, when he was visiting and we were sitting in the living room, we heard the doorbell ring. we went downstairs to check and lo and behold, nothing was done to it, it wouldn't ring no matter how many times we pressed the button.

2. my parents room is a complete icebox, all year round. every morning when my dad wakes up, a picture that NO ONE can react except for him, is tilted. he claims that every morning, it's like a routine to fix the faulty picture adjustment. it is well positioned and is super sturdy, but it's pushed in place where it looks like someone did it purposely.

3. about a few years ago, i had mysterious blood spots all over my bathroom floor. i checked my cat for any injuries, no one was bleeding, no one recalled bleeding so much. the blood had pooled and dried in the carpet. it made a 'diamond' formation from the toilet, to the closet, to the sink, to the shower rug, and then made a trail into the hallway where it stopped. to this day, these blood spots are still unexplainable... i really wanted to get it tested lol

4. about a month or so ago, when i was drawing, my step mother came into my room and questioned why milk was sitting on the counter. i was confused... it had been sitting there with the cap off. i would have thought she or my dad had done it, but these walls are extremely thin, and my parents bedroom door is really easy to hear as it opens. it did not open, and i had recently been in the kitchen, minutes after she asked me. so that was extremely creepy.

5. when she was at my brothers house, and she was arguing, just as she was going into the cupboard EVERY SINGLE GLASS CUP EXPLODED. literally. it exploded and the shards fell into the spaghetti they had been making. idk what they were arguing about, but it was a real intense argument where he was disrespecting her, but they hear thumps and scratching and the voice of women arguing at night. a woman died there and we're positive it's haunted.

6. recently, i've stopped going into the kitchen at night, and my parents agree, that they feel sudden anxiety whenever they're alone in there at night. with their back turned, they feel as if something runs past them or is in the room, watching. it's very unsettling..

7. my friends dad used to live in a house, previously occupied by old women. every night, they used to hear the sound of old women laughing, mistaking it for a tv, even at night when the tv is turned off.

so.. there are some stories that kind of freak me out. share yours!

i also should add, i am the type of person to put science above speculation such as this, but i dunno, certain things just make you believe!
    Last edited by ali; 10-19-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    egad, I've had my share of these.

One house I've lived, the whole basement was one huge room as big as the house so naturally, it was my gaming and practice room (I was a huge Beyblade player back then). But I had to share the room with a trickster ghost who loved to play pranks on everyone. (thankfully, he was totally harmless) He'd randomly close the lights when I needed to go upstairs and leave me in pitch black (I was scared of the dark back then, didn't help), cause static in my TV and gave it obscene shapes and words (ever had static moon you?). He'd cast shadows on the walls of a face with its tongue out and stuff like this. Thinking back, it was a pretty chill ghost.

In that same house, I had a cat. One day at winter, she managed to slip outside, stepped on pure calcium that melts ice and severely burned her paws, which got infected, fucked up her kidneys somehow and she died one night. Well, she stayed as a white cloud of smoke that'd watch over me from one corner of the basement (the one she always slept in)

In another house (and another town), my room was in the basement and on the other side of it, there was another room my mom intended to use as a storage room but never even entered because that part of the basement always creeped her (and anyone else) out. As long as we lived in that house, I had the most severe phobia of walking barefoot at night. Every time I did, I felt like my heart would stop, the air would get glacial and I'd do a panic attack and run back to my bed. As soon as my feet were under the blankets (even if the rest of my body wasn't), I'd feel safe and at ease again. But one night, I decided to stop being a coward and face my fear ('cause back then, people always said the best way to conquer your phobias was to face them headfirst), so I stepped out of my bed barefoot at the middle of the night and stayed up for a minute. The air would get colder and colder, when suddenly, I felt hands grab my ankles and pull me through the freakin' floor Amityville style (could that ghost have been less cliched, I mean geesh). Then as I was about knee-deep in the concrete floor (and screaming but that was useless because my room had thick, soundproof concrete walls), I saw the white cloud of smoke that was my cat float towards me and I blacked out. Next thing I know, I was laying on the floor, a puddle of ice where I was pulled through the floor, my ankles were covered in hand-shaped bruises and I had this long scar on my right foot.

My grandma was also living in that town and this time, nobody could sleep in her basement. They'd feel hot and sweaty as if something was burning near them. Well, she did some research and ends up the last owner died in his sleep, burned alive in the basement.

Fast-forwards years later when we moved where my mom still lives (so, I was 16). No ghosts in the house itself this time, but on Tuesdays at exactly 2:00am if you were still up for some fucked up reason, your instinct will tell you never to look through one particular window in the living room by the blocked terrace door (even though it's been decades since there's been a terrace there). If you defied it and went close, you'll feel the air getting colder and colder, your breath becoming heavier and harder, your sight grow dim. What's on the other side of the window on Tuesdays at 2:00am, where a terrace used to stand decades ago? You're welcome to come and walk to the end.

Weasyl
    ali
    woah, that's some intense stuff, trickster ghosts, such as the one currently living here, are really funny, in an odd way. he or she also like to knock things off my shelves, and even attacked my brother with a heavy picture despite the fact it had been sturdy and never once fell. it was really bizarre and i was just like hehhh the ghost doesn't like yooou

also apparently when i was little, my mom says i used to see spirits and tell her if they were in the room. i believe it, since children are supposedly able to sense that kind of thing easier, compared to an adult. it's really interesting~

Weasyl
    N/A
    No and I also disagree with the term supernatural. If it is real, then it is natural. The "supernatural" just doesn't exist. If there is evidence for a phenomenon then I will believe it but there's the saying that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Most stories can be better explained with simple recourse to psychology or some non-fantastical explanation. Even in the cases where it's not easily explainable that doesn't mean that a supernatural explanation is correct. For example it's easy to see how someone a hundred years ago could mistake a voice over a cellphone or hidden speaker as magic or a ghost even though we don't think anything of it now. A more parsimonious explanation is to assume these "supernatural" events are just gaps in our knowledge, either individually or as a species, especially when they are usually once-off events that are conveniently unavailable for testing.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Weasyl
    MLR
    No... I don't. I find it's hard to make broad conclusions about isolated events. I've had spooky experiences, yes, although I will say they've significantly dropped off in frequency since I was a kid who believed in ghosts, but since each one has a wide variety of possible explanations (I would argue a number of explanations approaching infinity, actually, depending on just how wildly speculative you want to get), and since you can't rule things out given exactly one datapoint, I tend to just fall back on ol' William of Occam's proposition regarding what constitutes being reasonable.
    Anyway, the universe is still a strange place. If you do the physics, you find out that the purest vacuum imaginable is still populated by mutually annihilating particle-antiparticle-photon triplets, in other words, there's energy to be found in positively nothing at all. That's just wild, and it's made even more wild because it can be proven to be true. It's not as exciting to me when the hypothesis can't possibly be verified, because then there's forever the chance that it's not true at all, and that some more mundane explanation is more appropriate. You know what I mean.
    Not to say I don't love a good mystery, but it's not satisfying to me when the only resolution is 'I guess we'll never know'.

Not in the slightest. Virtually all the stories I hear can usually be explained away by vibrations, heat changes, draughts, and other perfectly normal phenomena. Anything that sounds too crazy to be real probably isn't, and is either made up entirely, or distorted through retelling or over time. There's just far too much about it that can only be explained by handwaving; calling it mystical or magic or other such nonsense. If you're going to believe in ghosts, you may as well believe in unicorns, werewolves, fairies, and vampires too. They're all equally implausible.

Weasyl
    ChitterBox
    As much as I want to say I don't believe in the supernatural, and how skeptical I am of it, I've had a few experiences happen to me as well. One was the random sound of someone running for my bed at full speed, a sound which nobody else in the house heard, and another was the moving of our living room curtains when no wind or air was blowing through the room. I can come to no logical explanations for those, so there must be something we don't quite understand yet.'

Maybe it's just something we don't fully grasp, so there is a logical explanation, but until then who knows?

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Just because you don't have a ready explanation for something does not mean ghosts exist. It only means that you don't know.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by piñardilla View Post
    Just because you don't have a ready explanation for something does not mean ghosts exist. It only means that you don't know.
    Right. That's more where I was coming from. So the curtain moves without any wind, why assume ghosts? It could be fairies, maybe a wizard did it from outside the house, it could have been invisible aliens, maybe the curtains are alive... you get the gist. Fact is, you can't rule any of that stuff out based solely on the fact that the curtain moved, so it makes the most sense to not start making up new forces of nature to explain it, and instead go with the ones we actually know are there. Rule those out and then we've got something interesting.

Weasyl
    ali
    i actually prefer thinking it's ghosts because it makes it a little more fun- give me solid explanations for glasses shattering during an argument, or a doorbell with no wiring ringing, and then i'll probably think otherwise. 8)

all of this is really interesting to hear, though, keep it going~