Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Disabling Tags edits from other users? Can see this as being somewhat of a problem.

Couldn't find a thread specifically about tags, so I'm making one.

I'm seeing that anyone at all can go in and add/modify/delete tags onto anyone's submissions, no matter what it is or who they are. Another user added a tag on one of my submissions that I didn't want there. I removed it, but it's kind of concerning because anyone could write anything they want in there and you would never know unless someone pointed it out to you. I went on to someone else's submissions, and sure enough, I can add tags, and even delete their own (I added back the tag I deleted on theirs after my test, so nothing is changed for their submission).

Is there a way to disable that? I'm really not seeing an option to disable tags from other users on your submissions. If not, I really feel that there should be an option for that.

Edit: Found the option to disable the removal of your own tags by other people, so I guess the person I tested it on had that disabled. Still haven't found an option to prevent other users from adding tags to your submissions, though, and you can still type in anything you want as a tag on someone else's art.
    Last edited by Spelunker Sal; 10-18-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Weasyl
    Ransom
    I'm surprised that the option isn't already available. I think the idea of the community contributing to the tagging is a good idea, as I've seen so many pictures that haven't been tagged well or have been miscategorized on FA. However, I can see this becoming an easy way to troll people, if the artist has no notification of the tags being added or deleted, limited options to screen modifications, and nobody's specifically accountable of the modifications of individual tags.

I'm not sure what the best solution would be. Perhaps have an option to allow tags to be modified by people of the user's choosing, through a dropdown or radio button menu in the settings. For instance:

Allow tags to be added by:
    ( ) Anyone
    ( ) Friends and Site Staff
    ( ) Site Staff Only

Allow tags to be deleted by:
    ( ) Anyone
    ( ) Friends and Site Staff
    ( ) Site Staff Only

Prevent tags added by me from being deleted by non-site staff:
    [ ]

You could also distinguish the artist's tags from the community's by changing their colour; and remove anonymous trolling potential by stating which artist left the tag (perhaps with hovertext as you mouse over it), as well as notifying the artist when tags have been added or removed.

Granted, I don't know if that's all feasible, and I'm sure my suggestion has room for improvement, but it's what I got off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Ransom; 10-18-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Weasyl
    ali
    someone tagged all of my stuff as 'furry' and told me to 'tag my things correctly' when most of it is 'kemonomimi' and just human people with cat ears and tails. i don't consider this furry. it normally isn't considered furry. i don't like people being able to edit my tags with things i don't agree with.

since i normally never tag things on sites.. if i'm being forced to tag things, i at least want total control over what's associated with my art, and don't want anyone else editing them for me.

the tagging feature bothers me and i really want an option to keep people from touching my tags.

also, may i suggest implementing an option where a users name is shown from 'last edited tags' or something, so if someone messes with a tag, we know who did it, especially if it's harassment, let's say, for extreme measures. like, someone tagged an art piece as 'shit' because they're an immature person for example?

Quote Originally Posted by ali View Post
    someone tagged all of my stuff as 'furry' and told me to 'tag my things correctly' when most of it is 'kemonomimi' and just human people with cat ears and tails. i don't consider this furry. it normally isn't considered furry. i don't like people being able to edit my tags with things i don't agree with.

since i normally never tag things on sites.. if i'm being forced to tag things, i at least want total control over what's associated with my art, and don't want anyone else editing them for me.

the tagging feature bothers me and i really want an option to keep people from touching my tags.

also, may i suggest implementing an option where a users name is shown from 'last edited tags' or something, so if someone messes with a tag, we know who did it, especially if it's harassment, let's say, for extreme measures. like, someone tagged an art piece as 'shit' because they're an immature person for example?

That same guy did the same to me. It's kind of annoying that he asks that, and then does it for you whether you wanted it or not. It could have been something malicious instead though, which is why it's a problem. I think having it say who edited which tag would be a good idea too, but also having the option to not have tags added without your permission is definitely a necessity.

Weasyl
    ali
    Quote Originally Posted by Spelunker Sal View Post
    That same guy did the same to me. It's kind of annoying that he asks that, and then does it for you whether you wanted it or not. It could have been something malicious instead though, which is why it's a problem. I think having it say who edited which tag would be a good idea too, but also having the option to not have tags added without your permission is definitely a necessity.
    hah. good to know i'm not the only one pissed about it. B( how fucking rude. he doesn't even follow me either, i don't know why it's such a huge problem for him.. what.. he saw it on the front page for less than an hour?? and it bothered him so much he had to forcibly tag it? i don't understand the logic behind that.

agreed 100%!

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Weasyl
    Ben
    We do sorely need something that notifies users when their tags are changed, yes. I'll make sure our coding team knows this.

Now, as far as users being able to edit tags goes:

We have it set so all users can add to one's tags, in order to ensure that the tag filters of our userbase are being fully respected. The universal tag for work that contains characters embodying animal and human traits is actually anthro, not furry, since we know there are many things one might consider furry, which are not accurately described by such a term. You can tag your work as furry if you want, of course, but the universal tag is anthro.

We do have members of this site who do not hail from the furry community, as we are looking to be as diverse and open a site as possible, which is why we want to make sure our users are adding the "anthro" tag to anything concerning bipedal creatures with any feral animal traits (kemonomimi is fine to add too). Basically, it's just an issue of being courteous to other users.

However, on that note of courtesy, it's also not acceptable to be overly belligerent about this. We'll make sure to speak to the user(s) in question who are doing this, as while we do want anthro works to be tagged as anthro, we certainly don't want to communicate that information in any rude sort of way. Sorry for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    We'll make sure to speak to the user(s) in question who are doing this
    Well, I'm right here.

I asked those two politely to tag their stuff as "furry", "anthro", and whatever else. If I came across as rude, I'm sorry.

As Ben said, I'm one of the users on the site who doesn't hail from the furry community, and I would like my filters to be respected, just as we would respect your tag filters to block things you don't want to see.

Sal, I only asked you nicely to tag your stuff as "furry" or "anthro" because it fit under the general definition of the term "furry" or "anthro"

Ali, I asked you the same thing because your "kemonomimi" art doesn't mesh with the definition of the term "kemonomimi" that I've always held, since most of your characters, although anthropomorphic, are heavily animalized.

I'm not trying to force tags upon you or anything else, I just would like some order to the tags on the website. I also only PMed you two on the main site with my message because you uploaded multiple pictures that needed the tag, and I felt I shouldn't have filed an official report for a first time thing, and that we could talk it out and reach an agreement. If you uploaded a single picture, I would have just tagged it and not said a word.

Again, I'm sorry if I came across as rude, even though I tried to be civil. Both of you are good artists, but all of us have different tastes in what we want to see.

Weasyl
    ali
    @ben

maybe with the notifications, we can have added requests to change tags. honestly, it's going to be problematic for people to purposely mistag things, and it would be annoying to go back, remove the tags we feel don't apply to our art. little things like the kemonomimi/furry/anthro debate here is proof of that- we have our own ways of labeling what our art is made up of, isn't that the artist's right alone..?

i don't know, i don't like people being able to play with my tags. the tags are usually for the artist to direct people by those key words.. i don't know why that's suddenly made universal. yes it may be more accurate, but it may be abused and some people, such as myself, don't want people holding that ability by default.. really hoping for an option that disables it in the future.

@rx

i don't know what your definition is of kemonomimi, but: Kemonomimi (獣耳 or けものみみ, lit. beast ears) describes humanoid characters that possess animal-like features

therefore, leave it as kemonomimi, not furry. it's tagged appropriately, that's why i tagged it as such. my characters in that picture are not heavily animalized... they are humans with cat ears and cat tails, the basic definition, the universal definition of kemonomimi. i will add the anthro tag knowing that's the universal tag, but unless my character is covered in fur, i'm not tagging it as furry.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Weasyl
    Ben
    we have our own ways of labeling what our art is made up of, isn't that the artist's right alone..?
    We understand the issue of rights. However, if we aren't doing everything we can to ensure that our tag filtering system actually works, than a crucial function of the site is crippled. Now, there are ways that we can fix this. One is having a smart-tagging system so that tags of a similar nature are all linked together, i.e. if someone filters "furry" at the adult level, it could also suggest similar tags like anthro and kemonomimi if it's a problem for them. Another thing we need to do is make it clearer that this site isn't meant to be centric to one community, and is meant to be open to artists of all kinds.

Another idea would be to have our Ferret system more centered on maintaining our tag infrastructure, so that people we have designated as trustworthy can edit tags, even if you decide to set an option that says normal users cannot edit tags. I will need to run these ideas by everyone and see what they think, but I will do my best.

Weasyl
    Temrin
    Hmm, There is a "dont allow people to remove my tags" in the settings, but perhaps there can be one to not allow people to put them in? Or even as Ali said, Perhaps there would be an option to have a requests type deal. If we dont want people changing it, we could also have the option to stop it from automatically being done. So there would be a few settings.

-To allow people to add tags (no artist moderation)
    -To allow people to request tags (allows artists to accept or decline, possible commenting to tell person why it was declined)
    -To not allow anyone to change my tags, period.