Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    @KazeKai

Basic blocking is like having a chain-link fence between you and the harasser/stalker. They walk around the fence and still get to you. Blocking the ability to watch/see you from the throwaway account is like throwing up a blanket so they can’t see you from where they are currently. They will still walk around the fence just as they did before. It does not hinder them any more than a chain-link fence without a blanket. There is no additional hinderance by having this feature as it is not made any more difficult to sign up for another account whether basic blocking or advanced blocking is in effect. So advanced blocking is not actually better at all.

In addition, it can now be used for the illegitimate reasons instead (coercion and being blocked for your appearance even if you didn’t do anything wrong at all). It’s not convienient for innocent people to pack everything up and make a new account whereas a dedicated harasser/stalker isn’t going to care about making new accounts over and over again.

Again, advanced blocking is not actually better then basic blocking, does not do what people think it will do and will create problems for others now instead (see original post for reasoning).

Plan A solves all problems but 1 but creates no new problems.
    Plan B solves all problems but 1 but creates NEW problems instead.

Plan B isn’t better like people like people think it is. This is what I’ve been trying to explain.

Would be nice is a mod of some sort came in with some of their personal input/perspective. D:
    It would definitely allow for more.. responses instead of the same on both ends "It helps!" "No it doesn't!"

We're talking to brick walls for both sides and no ones changing or adding onto their previous opinion when they first posted/read this thread.

Weasyl
    oly
    It occurs to me that having a 'only registered users can view profile' function would help mitigate the 'people can just log out to see your stuff' issue.

Doesn't really address the others, but it's something, and it's a feature some people may like to have on it's own merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    It occurs to me that having a 'only registered users can view profile' function would help mitigate the 'people can just log out to see your stuff' issue.

Doesn't really address the others, but it's something, and it's a feature some people may like to have on it's own merit.
    I think that's been suggested elsewhere, but, it is a good idea for those who don't want random lurkers viewing their works w/o an account or while logged out.

I love this idea. It could be like a system that is on facebook. However I think this should be an option somebody should be able to choose, like a little tick-box saying (keep profile visible only to members?) It would root out a LOT of trolls.

As for Fallenwind's concern for those that would be blocked unjustly, I am sure a ticket would be easy to foward if it really bothers the individual. Like I said, not being able to view a person's artwork is not the end of the world. If you disagree with somebody, but that person is over-sensitive and doesn't want to hear the opposing side, you either need to bite your tongue and just silently disagree if the art means that much. And if people want to make side accounts to keep viewing....hmm....perhaps a system can be put into place where there is only two accounts allowed per email? (I say two because some people like having swf and nsfw accounts, as well as gift art accounts.) Yes they can go and make more emails, but /again/ it takes a lot of dedication. I have blocked harassers in the past from being able to comment and they eventually just gave up.

The advanced blocking system is like the jail system in my country, or I guess any country. Innocents are going to be effected in some cases, but it is for security of other artists. I, however, can NOT see a reason to remove this and taking away the freedom of somebody to block anybody they want to. It may be unfair to others for them to 'not be able to see the artwork', but it is completely up to the artist and individual to do so and make that choice.
    If this bothers the person who was blocked UNFAIRLY to the point they just cant handle it anymore they can put forth a trouble ticket I guess. And the mods can try and see if it was really fair to let this person do this or not. In fact, if this person keeps violating the 'block' system I am sure they could do something that would forbid this user from using the advanced blocking. Like...three strikes your out.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #46
    Weasyl
    Ben
    The registered users only being able to view your profile function actually already does exist, it's just that it doesn't extend to the individual parts of your userpage (like your submissions, journals etc.).
    Last edited by Ben; 10-23-2012 at 03:47 PM.

@RadioCatastrohe

“Would be nice is a mod of some sort came in with some of their personal input/perspective. D:” – It would yes, but I have a feeling the mods are being polite to me by not flat out telling me no. They’re going to do what the majority wants (I don’t blame them for that, that’s one of the missions of their site, so I understand they're trying to do what the majority feels is best). I’m just worried that popular opinion is going to squash out minority logic and the reality of the situation is not going to be understood by those who read this or flat out not even seen to be weighed over. And that’s only counting the people who would fairly weigh my side (even if they still disagree) – that doesn’t include all the people who flat out don’t care what I’m saying or that it will effect others negatively. I’m already fighting a losing battle.

- - - Updated - - -

@Oly

“It occurs to me that having a 'only registered users can view profile' function would help mitigate the 'people can just log out to see your stuff' issue.” – Like FA has? This is perfectly ok! I can understand not wanting to have stuff seen to the general public and this is something that really can’t be abused very much (if at all). I have no issue with this at all.

- - - Updated - - -

@ Tarti

I don’t think it’s a good idea to limit “why” someone should block people either. This will tie up the mods far too much over something that is way too subjective, not easy to prove (people can lie about why they blocked someone & innocents will have a very difficulty time getting evidence) and make things far more complicated for the site.
    “Like I said, not being able to view a person's artwork is not the end of the world.” – Yes I understand that. One time is nothing, it’s when it keeps stacking up over and over again that it starts to get really annoying. People on my side can be severly inconvienced for something that has no real benefit to people who advocate advanced blocking. Simplified, I don’t want to end being screwed because others want something that doesn’t do anything beneficial to them.

“perhaps a system can be put into place where there is only two accounts allowed per email?” – That may work, though I’d up it to 5 (I imagine most innocents wouldn’t have more than 5 accounts). However, there may be some unforeseen problem with this. For the time being, I can agree to this as a means of limiting trolls, but I think this should still be weighed over very carefully to ensure it can’t someone affect innocents.

“Innocents are going to be effected in some cases, but it is for security of other artists.” – Implementing advanced blocking does NOT make you any more secure than basic blocking. I’ve explained this point over and over. In turn it can be used on innocents. My argument is why implement something that has no real benefit (I’ve explained that the blanket doesn’t hinder trolls any more than fence alone) and can be used on innocents? No real benefit, but can be a detriment to innocents.

“…taking away the freedom of somebody to block anybody they want to.” – I don’t understand why people keep thinking I’m somehow arguing “NO BLOCK SYSTEM AT ALL” when I’m saying “block communication and notifications, DO NOT block watching/seeing page)? The blanket on the fence does not hinder trolls any more than a fence without a blanket.
    Last edited by Thefallenwind; 10-24-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thefallenwind View Post
    @KazeKai

Basic blocking is like having a chain-link fence between you and the harasser/stalker. They walk around the fence and still get to you. Blocking the ability to watch/see you from the throwaway account is like throwing up a blanket so they can’t see you from where they are currently. They will still walk around the fence just as they did before. It does not hinder them any more than a chain-link fence without a blanket. There is no additional hinderance by having this feature as it is not made any more difficult to sign up for another account whether basic blocking or advanced blocking is in effect. So advanced blocking is not actually better at all.

In addition, it can now be used for the illegitimate reasons instead (coercion and being blocked for your appearance even if you didn’t do anything wrong at all). It’s not convienient for innocent people to pack everything up and make a new account whereas a dedicated harasser/stalker isn’t going to care about making new accounts over and over again.

Again, advanced blocking is not actually better then basic blocking, does not do what people think it will do and will create problems for others now instead (see original post for reasoning).

Plan A solves all problems but 1 but creates no new problems.
    Plan B solves all problems but 1 but creates NEW problems instead.

Plan B isn’t better like people like people think it is. This is what I’ve been trying to explain.
    This has already been asked but has some actually blocked you for the reasons you've listed that would make you think people behave this way?
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

I can see there is no way I can possibly reason with you. So I am going to be very blunt.
    "...it’s when it keeps stacking up over and over again that it starts to get really annoying." I will say this again. If you are being blocked over, and over, and oooover again its probably because you are doing something wrong. Not a whole bunch of people are going to just block you over nothing. Maybe one, two...maybe THREE rarely. But several upon several people blocking you cannot be just "oh they are just power hungry, and are blocking me for no reason."

If this system is 'pointless' as you see it, then the only way your argument would have any merit is if it wasn't already implemented. However, it is already in the system, so removing it is even MORE so. And if it is oh so easy to get around, and just keep making new accounts, and if the 'innocent' who is just wanting to view the artwork, and its that so much more important to them, they can just make a new account. :/ And if they anger the artist again then they will be blocked again (because clearly that person does not want to talk with the other who keeps coming back.)

So while you may not agree with why somebody blocks somebody, it is right in the mind of the other. This comes off, to me, as saying people are entitled to look at whoever's artwork they want, even if they are blocked. I do not see it this way at all. A artist is posting their artwork online to share it with people, not because the other people are ENTITLED to see it. If somebody does not want somebody else to see this art, its their call. I cannot make this any clearer.

Blocking somebody from seeing artwork is something a lot of people have wished to have, and now it is given. If a system was implented that made it so others cannot see artwork of artists that choose to do so, unless logged in, that would solve a lot of this. "Oh but people can just make accounts to see it again anyway!" Not if they are limited to a certain number of accounts. "But then they can just make more emails!" Somebody with that dedication, and desperation to get to somebody really has a lot of problems, and no system is going to be able to stop that unless there was some sort of IP ban. For instance, constant harassment, I am sure, can result in an IP ban if this was decided upon by mods.

Weasyl
    JungleBunny
    If I'm getting this right, which if I'm wrong whatever, I don't want to read everyones posts and am a little late on this. If someone doesn't like me, blocks me, though I really like their art, I cant see it??? Why? Say someone steals my art, claims it as their own and then blocks me, I would never know about it? This is a bad idea. End of story. If this is what I'm reading correctly then NOONE should be disagreeing with the OP.