Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bird thread

I used to have a small flock of muscovy ducks - they're weird-looking things with warty growths on the head and neck that make them look like they're half-turkey. They're the only domestic duck not derived from mallards, so I've read, and they have clawed feet and sawtoothed edges on their bills so they're basically aquatic velociraptors, but I loved mine. There was a pond on the property where I worked, and as soon as the ducklings hatched, the mothers would take them out onto the pond where they'd promptly get eaten by snapping turtles. One year my boss managed to grab a handful of babies and gave them to me to raise (surprise!). I knew absolutely nothing about ducks but apparently I have a reputation for being good with animals, so there you go. Pretty soon I had to do my job while being constantly followed by a squadron of baby ducks. You can imagine the jokes.

I had to leave them behind in Florida when I moved a few years later, and I miss the crazy little monsters. I'd like to live somewhere I could have ducks again.

what is the word

My boyfriend adopted a sun conure from our local pet shop, she's mean though (to anyone aside from him, especially me). When we got her the staff told us she had a birth defect where her bottom beak grew over her top (sorta like an under bite instead of the usual over bite) which made it difficult for her to eat since she had to peel/crack her food differently and would usually loose more of the food during this process than she actually ate. Thankfully he started drilling down her beak for her since she wouldn't use the cuttle bone we got her, after awhile of that she got the idea of doing it herself though she still doesn't use the cuttle bone, she attempts to care for her beak on her cage as if she's jailed lol.

Anyways, she's cute (and sorta looks like a do-do bird) but she's trying to steal my man >:C

I've never been afraid of birds as much as I'm afraid of her, she doesn't draw blood like a normal bird would, but she's ripped at my lip my friends cheek and has pulled my hair and yanked on my gauges.

I do love seeing the red-tailed hawks flying around my city. If I had the time and patience, I think it would be cool to own something like a lovebird or cockatiel. Macaws' beaks scare me.

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioCatastrophe View Post
    Her beak isn't even that big, lawl, but she hates me because she's attached herself to my boyfriend @__@
    She'll allow me to pick her up when she wants to go to him but other than that she's very vicious and territorial over him.
    This is why when people say "how bad can a bird be? Now CATS oh they're moody," it's like "NO. Cats/dogs tend not to view you as a mate, birds do". Sunnies can get really nasty too when they get attached, but you know what to do. XD

Ringneck dove attached to me. Anyone getting something in the pigeon family, they're very sweet unless they attach to you or egg-laying is in session, then just watch your face since they strike like a snake when they want to bite ya, but otherwise they're pretty okay since they can't grip on like parrots. XD

Ha, we're still waiting on her to get into her egg-laying since she's only a year old so far. Her cage isn't really setup to accommodate a nest as we don't really know how they nest just that she loves her little hammock like tent. Hoping she get reclusive instead of outwardly angry xD

Weasyl
    HiddenCinnamon
    Never had any birds as pets, because I've always had cats. However, I've always loved ducks, and I fell in love with turacos when I was on holiday in Australia.