Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Common Suggestions List

Weasyl
    Aerys
    It is clear that the largest hurdle facing the website is the network effect achieved to the website's competitors userbase. The best way to overcome this is to foster greater community within Weasyl's existing userbase. Yes, Jonas' call to post art regardless of the quantity of feedback still rings true, but it is still worthwhile to design the site to increase the ease of and rewards to connecting with other members of the community.

Here are a few suggestions in that vein.

1) A "like" button for comments to enable positive feedback without effort. Sometimes it's too much work to sit and think of something nice to say, or saying "thanks" just seems kind of lame. This is a way to tell someone you're happy for the support! If you're worried about people getting too caught up in accumulating likes on their posts you could just put a little star next to a post if someone has liked it, not revealing the total number publicly.

2) A "send note" option next to the username by any comment or post. Clicking on the little chat icon will pop up a text field you can use to immediately send a private message. This can give an element of live communication without actually implementing a real time Facebook-style chat.

3) Redesign the layout for the submission inbox. On competitor sites, the submission inbox displays right under the work the name of the user who submitted it. On Weasyl, the name of the piece and username only appear on mouse over. While it looks sleek and snazzy, the art inbox looks like a collection of anonymous icons. I'd rather that it were more personal! On other sites, I don't view works just because I like the icon, I open them because my friends have submitted them or because they're works by one of my favorite artists. On Weasyl I have to guess who posted something by staring at the icon to figure out whose style it is or hovering my mouse over.

Keep up the great work!

Pardon me if it's come up already, but the one real killer feature that's missing for me right now is to reverse the order of submission inbox. I want to have the oldest first and new submissions tack on to the end rather than the newest first. Makes it easier to stay caught up or to be able to only look at some of the submissions at once without the oldest ones sitting at the back of the queue forever.

That and the download filenames are... bad. But I've seen that's been brought up and... half-implemented right now?

Otherwise, things are pretty slick from how I use it.

Since Skylerbunny asked me nicely to post here, I guess I will.

Two things I've noticed that Weasyl lacks that FA has (that I use on a daily basis):

1) SFW toggle. Without touching any other settings, Furaffinity has a 'SFW' toggle that acts as if your filter was set to General only. It's a very simple (for the user) tool to use for browsing the site while in a work environment. As things stand, I can't really linger on the front page.

2) Search features here seem rudimentary. Either they're not well documented (I have not done an exhaustive search), or the features simply aren't there. On FA, you can search for 'all the words', 'any of the words', or 'extended' (more on that in a bit). You can limit it to a specific category, a specific rating, as well as limit how far back the search will return. You can also sort it by date, 'relevancy', or 'popularity' in ascending or descending order.

Extended search involves the use of search synatx. A common search I use on FA is "trans | transform | transforming | transformation | shift | shifting | morph | morphing | morphs". This search string will return all submissions that have any of those words in it. In addition, you can add additional search terms to limit it, such as 'otter' and 'husky', without the | symbol, to just get TF pictures that involve otters or huskies. You can also include other multi-term searches. "trans | transform | transforming | transformation hypnosis | hypno | mindcontrol" would only get me transformation pictures that involve hypnosis/mind control.

Testing on the Weasyl search platform with this synatx has yielded... confused results, as does using multiple search terms. I've had 'transformation otter' show up transformation stories with no 'otter' in keywords, submission info, or the submission itself.

It is possible that Weasyl's search engine might be able to duplicate this, but I would need to know what engine it's using, then to look up the documentation and do some testing.

Weasyl
    iggi
    I haven't yet seen this suggestion exactly. I noticed things like it, but not quite.

I think perhaps it would be useful, that when you are submiting a normal submission if you could use a dropdown extra menu to add this image to a character that exists in your list.( Similar to the suggestion to have multiple pages to a character). So images would still show in your normal gallery, but if viewers went to your character gallery and selected a character, they could see another gallery under it as "more of this character". (leaving it blank would not add it to any character.) This could also show art of that character that is in your collections and pool it all into one place. It would especially be useful for commissions if I could see multiple character images to use for refs by having this, as well the primary image the user has for the ref sheet. And would be fun for watchers who particularily admired a character and wanted to see more of them too. Adding additional usefulness could occur by letting it show up in the main gallery under a character sub-folder if you submitted it, one sub folder per character with additional art pages.

This would meet both desires fpr multiple pages of a character submission request from others, and for the desires for characters to show up in the main gallery.

Thanks for this wonderful site, i love it so much so far. It is clean, easy to use, and has everything i need. I hope to be here for a nice long time. Admin, please keep up the great work on this site!

Okay, I have a few suggestions that basically bug the heck out of me and have done since I first arrived at Weasyl. Was kind of hoping some of these would have been changed by this point so I'll suggest them again:

1) embedded gifs, flash and full view: My boyfriend has uploaded animated gifs in the past and their was no indication they were animated due to the fact it only showed a still and not even a click through. Not being able to watch animations on the submission page with the comments and all is also sort of weird.

2) better stream information: to start with, being able to limit the streaming update to just my own followers. I just don't think the general community would be super-into half the things I draw so I'd personally prefer to stay off the front page. further more, better controls of the Streaming information - the ability to add a start and end time instead of Stream length. For example, if I set it to "I will Start Streaming later" and then set a time of 8pm GMT to 4am GMT, it'd automatically kick into gear when I begin streaming without my intervention and remove itself at the time it ended at. This would be useful as an alternative method if not a replacement method (after all, some people just want to do it whenever). I'd also suggest adding a feature that uploads a user-decided streaming banner to indicate their stream in submissions that is removed automatically at the end of the Stream. Could keep down the streaming journals/images that people might upload to further attract attention to their streams.

3) selective submission 'select all': for some reason, there's a Remove All on the main submission page but it lacks a Select All/Remove All, etc. on individual submission categories.

4) character folders: would really help with to provide multiple character reference images together or else it'd just be more convenient to just use the main submissions gallery to create character specific folders.

5) Commission information: still kind of a mess. Would be kind of useful having my commission prices on the actual page when I'm editing instead of leaving it floating in the void with just "rename to" and empty places.

6) British Time: oh my god ever other site on the internet lists it as United Kingdom. Outliers use Great Britain. Just using "Britain" on it's own as kind of weird. The system for time zones also doesn't really let me press a key to quickly jump to a letter which is how I get this stuff set normally. Say I wanted to quickly jump to the Us to look for United Kingdom - can't do that. Instead I had to crawl through the list and hope I could find the applicable time. Minor thing but, y'know, its something that could be fixed.

Weasyl
    Ongaku

Bulk / Mass Upload Please~!

The great FA exodus of 2013 has started... and yet there's no bulk or mass upload feature here.

I know of the concerns of the front page, yadda, yadda yadda, but it seems multiple solutions have already been suggested.

Speaking from an artists standpoint AND an RPer standpoint. I dont have all day to upload my photos of my characters or work.

THAT is the only thing holding me back from fully joining Weasyl...

Please implement this soon, you'd see a drastic rise in numbers of users, as all of the FA users are done and over with the drama at FA.

Also, let me know when this happens so I can ditch the flaming boat already...

I'd perhaps suggest doing what FA Filter does, an add on someone graciously made - let submissions from an artist (in terms of images and journals) stack, and apply this to the front page in the event of Mass Uploads.

Weasyl
    Thornwolf
    In the section where I go to upload a new piece of artwork, I would love love love an option where it asks which folder I want to put it in, the ability to create a new folder. So many times I upload something and think "well, this could be better categorized" but I'm already part way done with the upload process and I don't wanna back out and go to my settings and make a new folder

Also in general it takes me way too many clicks to manage and view my watched submissions/journals etc. If I have to drill down to 2 or more layers I'm not going to want to do it, and I only really just started using the site 3 weeks ago and already I'm getting a backlog because it's frustrating to have to go to multiple pages to manage submissions to view then delete stuff.

Thank you!

Weasyl
    Giza
    I too would like to see bulk uploads. I have 86 pictures which I took at MidWest FurFest. Uploading them separately is not feasible for me, as I don't have that many hours in the day. :-)
    28% Cheetah

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #200

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Moved some stuff into the implemented list. Should be more added to that soon, hopefully.