PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion regarding submissions.

Kayla-La
10-11-2012, 02:21 PM
It seems a little redundant to click on the submissions icon in my upper-right message notifications just to have to click on another link on that page in order to actually clear out said submissions. Is there a good reason for this or could it be made so that clicking on the submissions icon takes you straight to the Manage Submissions link?

Axiom
10-11-2012, 02:43 PM
I agree completely.

I also find it counter intuitive to have to hit the button to select all comments(don't think this happens on submissions) then hit remove selected to only have a popup appear asking if we're sure. I had to hit two buttons prior to this, I think I'm sure!

Kayla-La
10-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah.. and there doesn't seem to be a Check All so much as Invert Selection and that's kind of strange. Why not just have a simple Check All button that's obvious to everybody?

seventhpaw
10-12-2012, 08:14 AM
I agree completely.

I also find it counter intuitive to have to hit the button to select all comments(don't think this happens on submissions) then hit remove selected to only have a popup appear asking if we're sure. I had to hit two buttons prior to this, I think I'm sure!

I've had a few times where an errant click has removed messages I didn't want to. It's a nice feature, though being able to disable/enable that feature could be beneficial.

skippyfox
12-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Bumping this because I strongly agree - having to click on a notification and then click again to go to the full submissions page makes that intermediate page pretty useless.

Right now the notification system is very FA-like and IMO that's a bad thing. I think different notifications should be consolidated into a single queue (think how Facebook does it) so there's one link at the top which opens a notification list, sorted by date, of everything - comments & replies, new submissions, collections, streams, etc.

Instead right now we have, just like FA, multiple "notifications" pages (one for submissions & collecitions, another for everything else), and within each of those pages, notifications are grouped by type, which itself becomes a problem because one popular type can often overwhelm/obscure another type, which forces you to scroll way down to see recent, but relevant, notifications.

(Fixing that could also open up other feature possibilities, such as marking notifications as read (instead of deleting them outright), which I think would be a major step over FA because I'll often delete a notification to keep my notifications from cluttering up, but regret it later.)

Socks the Fox
12-22-2013, 07:04 PM
because I'll often delete a notification to keep my notifications from cluttering up, but regret it later.

I don't think notifications should be used as a bookmarking system. Your browser has a very nice one built in, often including folders to let you organize them by site/content/etc. and using it as such is redundant. I think notifications should be just that: a notification that something has happened.

If anything, I'd like to see them autodelete when the user clicks them. However, I can see a bunch of people getting in a tizzy if that were to happen, so I'm fine with the basic system as it is.

I do agree that the confirmation popups and the fact that the submissions management is a completely separate page whereas the journals/comments/etc viewing and management page is unified is kind of odd and confusing.

Tiger
12-22-2013, 09:24 PM
If anything, I'd like to see them autodelete when the user clicks them. However, I can see a bunch of people getting in a tizzy if that were to happen, so I'm fine with the basic system as it is.

I'd disagree with auto-delete. If I check a notification, say, on my phone before class starts to see what the comment is, I'd read it but would leave the notification up for when I got home to my desktop. I will check notifications but still leave them up for varying reasons, if they would auto-delete I could end up never thanking people for favs/following or respond to comments simply because I didn't do that action the first time I clicked the notification.

Socks the Fox
12-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Perhaps auto-delete them after say 30 days, so you don't end up with users with 100,000 notifications they'll never read slowing down your site like FA did? Like I said I don't think the notification system should be used as a bookmark system.

skippyfox
12-23-2013, 05:19 AM
I don't think notifications should be used as a bookmarking system. Your browser has a very nice one built in, often including folders to let you organize them by site/content/etc. and using it as such is redundant.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Are you saying I should take every single notification and bookmark it? Not sure how that would help.

The problem I was trying to describe is this: Let's say I have several pages of submissions and enough time to just skim through them, pick out a few interesting thumbnails, open some new tabs, and then I'll Remove All Notifications. Occasionally I'm a little quick on that last step, and only too late I realize, "Hey, that one thumbnail looks interesting or relevant" - but then the page loads and it's gone forever. Because of the site design, I can't "go back" to see what was there or find out who uploaded it. So I'll never get to find out what it was that peaked my interest.

For the record, I'd still put this item kind of low on the list of my priorities in my opinion, compared to other things like the intermediate submission page which is why I bumped the thread. This one really does come down to a user issue - me being too quick on the trigger - so it's not a bug with the website. More of a feature request.

If you look at how YouTube displays subscribed videos to you, for example: In that case there's no table of notifications - nothing that could cause DB or HDD issues like what happened at FA - because channel uploads are directly queried. You don't have the ability to remove old notifications because they aren't notifications. It's just the list of the most recent uploads.

To get technical, there IS another table that keeps track of what you've already seen, and the list is updated accordingly (watched videos are marked as watched). But the big back-end advantage to that table is that it's going to be a LOT smaller in large databases. The table only has to keep track of what active users have actively watched, instead of keeping track of every single notification that users have not bothered to take the step to delete - if those users are even still around.

Again, all of that is a minor gripe. I mainly brought it up because I get that Weasyl is trying to be convenient in ways that other, similar services have come short. The notifications in general here on Weasyl feel to me like a direct copy of FA's notification system, which means there's a lot of room for improvement.

Socks the Fox
12-23-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Are you saying I should take every single notification and bookmark it? Not sure how that would help.

No, I'm saying people shouldn't use it as "oh yeah I like that picture/journal/whatever I want to remember it" and use their browser's built in bookmark system for that. I'm fine with people using it to remind themselves to check out something they haven't seen, or haven't been able to properly sit down and check out, but using to remember that one silly doodle from 3 years ago is not the purpose of the system.

skippyfox
12-23-2013, 01:20 PM
I agree with you there. I wasn't trying to suggest that at all.

Socks the Fox
12-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Okay, yeah I could probably have stated it more clearly but I was distracted by my friend's art stream so my attention was divided :3

Honestly I think FA's notification system is alright, at least from a user's point of few. Sure on the implementation side it could use a bunch of work and there are definitely some things that could use tweaking on the UI but it does what it's supposed to, and I see no problem with emulating it as a starting point.