PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: changing the file names for download

Kajoken
10-11-2012, 04:57 AM
Hi there,

while browsing the site and downloading some of the images I've seen that the file naming is rather inconvenient for archiving.
All file names are <number>submit<number> so one has to rename every file to give it a proper name.

Please think about changing this to something usable. I think FA's (yes I know *shrugs*) system should be used for that.
Much easier for personal collections.

greets
~Kajo

DragonTalon
10-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah, every site that stores pictures uses a different method, but I think something like...

artist . submission-id . (uploaded file name or sanatized submission title) . jpg

...would work great.

FA is a bit annoying in that they don't include the submission id so you have to go through an artists gallery manually to find a picture from the filename.

Kajoken
10-22-2012, 05:23 AM
No official opinion?

Ben
10-22-2012, 05:37 AM
Sorry, we didn't mean to pass this over. The technical team will be asked if the file naming system can be adjusted for better convenience.

Kajoken
10-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Sorry, we didn't mean to pass this over. The technical team will be asked if the file naming system can be adjusted for better convenience.
Thank you, that would be awesome :)

QuetzaDrake
10-30-2012, 02:30 AM
Didn't see this in the common suggestions list, so I'd like to ask if it'd be possible to implement usernames into the filenames of submissions? This is more for personal sorting on my and anyone else's part who choose to save images to their own computers in case of deletion or for future viewing off the internet. As it is, the filenames are all non-descript numbers and either the words "cover" or "submit".

This isn't a huge issue and is solved on the user's side by just writing in the artist's name into the filename manually, but it's a tiny bit of a pain to do it every time and it'd be a lot more convenient if the username, or the option for the artist's original file's name or something, to be implemented automatically into the filename.

Kajoken
10-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Yeah, I asked for something like that here (http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?902-Suggestion-changing-the-file-names-for-download).
Let's see, if it can be implemented.

Trianine
02-17-2013, 07:09 PM
I finally got to join Weasyl, Yay! Immediately, I discovered that downloading an image that I liked resulted in some nasty gobbledeygook. 2134123.submit.234234.extension.

Is there any chance we can change that? A lot of websites will at least conduct renaming to identify the artist, oftentimes those that do will give a name/title of the submission as well. And while I don't know many places that do it, indicating where the image came from isn't a bad idea.

Something like Artist-Submission-Number.Artist.title.WSL.extension?
For example, 104_Trianine_FumuBattleshipChip01_wsl.jpg

I know, that can get verbose quickly. But considering that a lot of the artists here are also on other sites, often multiple sites. It could potentially save the end-user from having to bulk-rename everything. Don't encourage people to save and forget!

armaina
02-18-2013, 06:17 AM
I think this is hugely important. A lot of people right click save without thinking to re-name the piece with an artist's name, so when recalling who did what, it gets lost in translation. With keeping artists names in the file name at the very least, it helps in keeping things sourced in some way. Not to mention, it's much more helpful to those of us that prefer search-engine visibility.

weykent
02-18-2013, 06:20 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about re: "search-engine visibility".

this is a nice-to-have, but other things are currently taking priority. just a note to let you know we're aware about this.

Kai
02-18-2013, 06:36 AM
+1 to this. When I'm browsing my saved art I want to know who created it! I've also discovered a number of great artists by seeing their usernames in the filenames from image boards.

Trianine
02-19-2013, 07:14 AM
I understand that you do have your priorities, and that we're in beta. However I wanted to add that it makes me uncomfortable as an artist to use a site that essentially treats my work as if I am anonymous. I'd argue that this is more than a nice-to-have, I can go to any image board if I just wanted to throw my stuff out a window.

As for "search-engine visibility", I'm not certain, but Armaina might be speaking about the OS search engine. Something that your computer can search for, so you can get results for a particular artist, perhaps.

xDamonWolfx
02-24-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed already, but I think its sorta annoying when you save an image and there's just numbers, forcing one to manually (for the time being I'm sure) punch in artist information (for those that like to keep saved imaged in alphabetical order). If it has not been discussed yet, could that feature be implemented? (like DA's system for example, when saving an image it shows the artists name+submissions name/information).

So very sorry if this topic has been mentioned before, haven't really used the forum for anything since registering.

weykent
02-25-2013, 03:05 AM
merged two threads on the same subject.

I understand that you do have your priorities, and that we're in beta. However I wanted to add that it makes me uncomfortable as an artist to use a site that essentially treats my work as if I am anonymous. I'd argue that this is more than a nice-to-have, I can go to any image board if I just wanted to throw my stuff out a window.

you're taking this very personally when I can assure you that this was done for backend simplicity more than anything else. it's not a trivial change, or I would've changed it weeks ago (as it would simplify some of my other headaches).

skylerbunny
01-15-2014, 03:51 AM
All,

With backend changes made, this feature request is implemented now!

You'll see that downloaded full sized submissions now have a format like this:

https://www.weasyl.com/submission/319356/jackson (submission)
https://www.weasyl.com/~rio/submission/319356/rio-jackson.png (Downloadable file)

Hope this is a help!

Nightpaws
01-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Impressive! Thanks guys!

*Begins downloading everything*