PDA

View Full Version : [SITE] Some multimedia submissions are rejected as "not a valid filetype"

SwooshyCueb
10-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm trying to upload this: http://ocularraindrop.net/SwooshyCueb/Mashups/foottraffic-1_6a.mp3
With this as the cover: http://ocularraindrop.net/SwooshyCueb/Mashups/foottraffic.png

And I'm getting the following error:

Whoops! The submission file you uploaded is not a valid filetype for this submission category.

I am using the multimedia upload form. MP3s are accepted for the submission, and PNGs are fine for cover art.
Am I doing something wrong?

Kihari
10-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Applied an update; you should be able to upload this file now. thanks for reporting

Looked at the issue further; actually the file handler does not seem to recognize this file as an MP3. Looking at the mime type reveals only "application/octet-stream" which could mean a lot of things, from a media file to an executable. Trying to find a solution that doesn't involve trying to guess what this is, given the security implications of that.

SwooshyCueb
10-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Is there anything I can do in the meantime to get my work up without having to re-encode and take a hit to the quality, or do I just need to sit tight and wait?

Kihari
10-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Out of curiosity, what audio tools has this file been sent through in order to produce it?

(I'm afraid I have no answer but to sit tight for now)

SwooshyCueb
10-11-2012, 01:01 AM
Just the DAW I use to make my music to begin with, Sony ACID Pro 7.0.
It's VBR, if that has any bearing.

SwooshyCueb
10-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Okay, so it wasn't ACID that did this.
I apparently used MP3Tag on this at some point, and that changed the MIME type.
Herpaderp.

SwooshyCueb
10-27-2012, 02:23 AM
ANOTHER UPDATE
It looks like it's not MP3tag either, but embedded album art. My bf just tried uploading something he tagged using iTunes with embedded album art and he had the same problem.

And another update:
I'M REALLY CONFUSED
elub recently tried to upload an MP3 that had no album art but still got the same problem as me.
SO I JUST DON'T KNOW ANY MORE.

And yet another:
I used an online MIME detector (http://mime.ritey.com/) on the file I mentioned in the first post (http://ocularraindrop.net/SwooshyCueb/Mashups/foottraffic-1_6a.mp3) and it's telling me that the file's MIME is audio/mp3, and NOT application/octet-stream.
I dunno if this information is useful or not, but there you go~

Flaw
10-27-2012, 03:57 AM
Hi. I'm Swooshy's aforementioned boyfriend, and a former digital musician. Here's what I've discovered of the issue so far:

The problem - put simply and as has been confirmed - is that Weasyl seems to misidentify MP3 uploads as being a different filetype depending on what exactly the MP3 has gone through in the past.

What this basically means is that many common programs that are used to tag MP3 files with additional data such as album art and the like will - by result - cause Weasyl to misread them. Among the many, many popular programs that are used for this is iTunes.

Keep in mind, adding album art and other data to MP3 files is common practice.

I tested this myself by uploading a file to Weasyl - first I took one of my songs and added album art to the MP3 through iTunes. Then, while uploading it seems you'll receive an error proclaiming that the MP3 is somehow, in-fact *not* an MP3. Which is clearly untrue.

I then took the same file - the raw rendering from beforehand without album art attached via iTunes - and the upload worked perfectly fine.

To be clear - none of this is at the fault of the user, these same files would upload just about anywhere else without error. There is something wrong with Weasyl's multimedia uploader that needs to be looked into. In particular, it's very strange that the uploader is recognizing these MP3 files (MIME type Audio/MP3 - tested on both working and non-working MP3 uploads in this scenario) as application/octet-stream, but that's stating the obvious at this point.

ArcheKruz
12-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Is there any headway in fixing this? I have an MP3 file that is fresh out of Sonar X1's export audio function that still won't be accepted as a multimedia submission. I checked the MIME type and it says audio/MP3.

weykent
01-13-2013, 02:16 AM
the easiest solution to this issue right now is to post your mp3 to e.g. soundcloud and then using the embed URL. users should specify what they're uploading when they're uploading it instead of weasyl trying to guess (and sometimes failing, like what happens here).

SwooshyCueb
02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Soundcloud has a two our limit on the amount you can upload per user.
Back when I put my mashups on SoundCloud, I always had to decide which ones I wanted to get rid of to upload more.

Yoje
02-16-2013, 07:47 PM
the easiest solution to this issue right now is to post your mp3 to e.g. soundcloud and then using the embed URL. users should specify what they're uploading when they're uploading it instead of weasyl trying to guess (and sometimes failing, like what happens here).

Is there a place such as a radio button to specify that the file being uploaded is indeed MP3? I'm currently not seeing one anywhere for the multimedia submissions.

I'm also curious if there's been any progress to this, as I'm getting the same error when attempting to upload mp3s. I even tried a straight export/bounce from my DAW and get the same error. Then again, I'm using Logic - maybe Weasyl doesn't like Macs? XD

Curious to know what are the exact specs the mp3 file needs to be for Weasyl to accept the upload.

Dark
02-16-2013, 08:11 PM
I export everything from FL as MP3 192kbps/64-point sinc filtering, and they upload fine. Not sure what's going on here.

Yoje
02-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks Dark, re-exported using that and it worked! Not sure if it was the bit-rate, or if the previous file I was using somehow got touched by another program while I wasn't looking.

Running a few minor experiments, it appears cover art in the ID tag is a no go, and it appears if iTunes touches the file regardless of album art that the submissions page also doesn't like it. Odd stuff, but the site is in beta, and at least it allows cover art as a separate upload for each work.

weykent
02-16-2013, 10:13 PM
hi yoje,

the problem would indeed be solved by specifying that the thing you were uploading was an mp3. unfortunately right now weasyl will always try to guess what it is you upload after the fact, and the thing that does the guessing is a bit finicky. it has nothing to do with weasyl "liking" things or not.

anyway, it's a known issue. we've been really busy with the open beta launch, but it's definitely something I want to look into soon.

Yoje
02-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks weykent, in a 'been there done that', I can imagine how busy the staff is with the fine-tuning and continued troubleshooting going on in the background of the site. I'm glad to see the site staff is aware of the issue and has it on the to-do list.

In the mean time, it at least looks like everyone is aware of what the cause is, and a current workaround is shown above for those having the issue. Thanks to you and the rest of the staff for the hard work in getting weasyl out of closed beta.