PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Intuos4?

KaihuaZhao
10-09-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm planning on getting one soon, found a cheap refurbished one on Amazon for around $150. I haven't owned a tablet before and I'm completely inexperienced with them.

I've heard many different things about Wacom and their various products, including the Intuos4. Mostly positive, but some completely negative.
For example, a big flaw I've read about that the Intuos4 has is the nibs you're to use are very soft and wear down very quickly, and that the surface of the tablet is rough, which also doesn't help the nib wear.

Is anyone able to confirm that theirs have done that? Or anything else weird? Or does it work perfectly fine? I read a story about one individual that went as far as sanding the surface of their tablet down! Which he said completely fixed the problem but I could never do that!

I'm undecided on what to do, can any of you with an Intous4 experience help me out? Or even anyone with a suggestion of another tablet that has worked well for them?

Bitcoon
10-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Well, I can't say much about Intuos4, having never had one, but my Wacom Bamboo pen has never needed a replacement nib. :I

Bamboo has been great for me, though. And I've heard good things about this brand called Monoprice. From what I've heard, Monoprice digitizers are actually pretty close to as good as the Wacom Intuos line, and they come much cheaper than even the Bamboo tablets. From what I saw, even the bigger ones are sub-$100, so they might be worth looking into if you don't want to spend much.

Taw
10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
I got to use intuos 4 at my college campus, brand new when I got there.

They don't have that feel of sketching on paper like other tablets I've used have, they have this sort of.. "waxy" kind of feel when drawing I found.

The surface of the tablet you draw on as well does wear down fast, and in certain light you can see a lot of marks if people pressed hard and used the tablets.

The pens also did seem to be broken a lot, not sure if that was from people poorly using the tablet pens, or from excessive wear.

Unburnt Daenerys
10-09-2012, 09:49 PM
I have a Bamboo Connect which has a different surface, but I've heard you can just cover it with a piece of paper to solve the texture issue.

Tiger
10-09-2012, 10:18 PM
I've had 2 Wacom tablets, both Intuos3. They're very hardy. My first was a 4x5, which was a good start for me, but after about 4 years it did get scratches on the surface (nothing major, but just slight ones that did mess up a bit when the pen went over them). It is still completely functional, but I use it as a spare because I bought a 6x8 and am extremely happy with it. Have had it for about 3 years, maybe more. I have actually spilled Powerade allll over it, and not a thing changed. There are very minor scratches on it but I can barely feel them. So both of mine have been through hell with me but function absolutely fine. but for the Intuos3, one fo the drivers, I believe 5.3, does not read pen pressure so if you want an Intuos3 use a different driver.

So as you can tell, I'm very attached to my Intuos3 tablets and they might be a bit high priced than a bamboo but they're excellent nonetheless.

Zalcoti
10-09-2012, 11:14 PM
I had my Intuos4 since October 2010 and nothing bad has happened to it yet. The nibs do wear down quicker than normal in the beginning, but as the surface wears, it slows down. I've been using the same nib for a year and it's still fine. The drawing surface isn't super smooth like some tablets but if you never used a tablet before, you shouldn't have a problem with it. I had a Graphire3 before this and the surface was super smooth. It did take a while to get used to, but overall, it isn't a big deal. I think Wacom "fixed" the rough surface by either selling smooth pads or by taking it off altogether. So if it does bother you, you can look into something like that. And dear gawd, download the latest driver for the OS you use. The one on the disk will uninstall randomly if you unplug the tablet when the computer is on and leave it unplugged for a while. I haven't unplugged my tablet in a few months but so far it hasn't uninstalled itself.

I hope this helps!

KaihuaZhao
10-10-2012, 12:00 AM
I've actually looked at a few Monoprice tablets and did a bit of research. They are quite right for the price, but I've heard they're cheap feeling and that they don't last very long. I've also heard a bunch of different things about the bamboo. For some, it's perfect. For some, it sucks. XD I'm not sure why that is.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the tips! I heard that the software can have some issues, but I'll make sure to do that if/when I do get an Intuos 4. Are you satisfied overall with the drawing quality of the tablet?

Also I have no idea if I'm responding to these messages right. XD My first forum, so I apologize.

Ratte
10-10-2012, 03:06 AM
If you're looking for your first ever tablet, you can get a nice refurbished Bamboo Fun Pen for about $90 on Amazon. It's a standard 9x5 area tablet and I hear nothing but good things about them. If you're just getting into a brand, don't be so ready to jump in headfirst. Try starting with one of these first. They're light and portable and have a lot of good ratings, plus a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer.

Lenny Mutt
10-11-2012, 03:08 AM
I currently use a Intuos4 for my artwork and I've been really pleased with it. What most people already said is true, the nibs do kind of wear down pretty quick when you first get it but once the surface wears down a bit, the nibs are fine after that. Yeah you'll see some scratches here and there through the surface but it works fine, it's pretty much cosmetic. My Intuos3 was like that too -- you could see plenty of scratches through it but it never affected the usage of the tablet.

And I agree about the drivers, download them from the site... The ones on the disc are real screwy. :cautious:

Thestory
10-11-2012, 06:24 AM
The Intuos series is fine as long as you get yourself the medium sized tablet so you give your arm plenty of room. Otherwise you may feel cramped while drawing. Intuos 4 and 5 are both good and have nice pressure sensitivity but you want to be careful. The nibs wear down but the tablet comes with plenty more inside the pen holder. The bigger problem is if you are heavy handed. The pen will get stuck and read as if it is touching the tablet even when it is not. So you get random lines and dots across your work.
I don't know how many people have experienced this but I have twice. Once with the Intuos 4 and now with the 5. I press pretty hard at times so that may be more of my problem then the product.

FishNChips
10-11-2012, 04:44 PM
I got a small Intuos 4, and I don't have any complaints with it. I've had it ages, too.

Zalcoti
10-11-2012, 05:43 PM
The pen will get stuck and read as if it is touching the tablet even when it is not. So you get random lines and dots across your work.

Really? I'm heavy handed and never had this problem with any of my tablet pens. I drop them on the floor a lot too and still no issues. Just how heavy handed are you?

Thestory
10-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Really? I'm heavy handed and never had this problem with any of my tablet pens. I drop them on the floor a lot too and still no issues. Just how heavy handed are you?
Well not -that- heavy handed. I'm not scratching up the tablet or anything or purposefully pressing super hard. Honestly it shouldn't be getting stuck. I've had three tablets and pens that didn't do this previously. It started with the intuos 4 and now 5. Sooo....maybe its a model thing or I've recently gotten unlucky.

Ratte
10-12-2012, 04:12 AM
I currently use a Intuos4 for my artwork and I've been really pleased with it. What most people already said is true, the nibs do kind of wear down pretty quick when you first get it but once the surface wears down a bit, the nibs are fine after that. Yeah you'll see some scratches here and there through the surface but it works fine, it's pretty much cosmetic. My Intuos3 was like that too -- you could see plenty of scratches through it but it never affected the usage of the tablet.

And I agree about the drivers, download them from the site... The ones on the disc are real screwy. :cautious:

Agreed about the drivers.

It helps to also get a cover if you're worried about scratches to the surface as they can just be replaced. They're really good tablets, albeit awfully expensive. They have a nice pressure range to give nice, smooth strokes and your stylus will come with ten nibs (including special nibs) so don't worry too much about those. As said, try for a medium at the smallest. I've used a small and it will cramp your hand pretty easily.

KaihuaZhao
10-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Thank you for all the incoming input everyone! Very informative and detailed; really helping me out.

zenia
10-15-2012, 03:30 AM
I love my Intuos4. I bought it in February of this year as my birthday present to me! Well... half of the money was my grandmas birthday present to me. Indeed, at first the nibs wore down fast because of the texture. I hated the texture. I like the slick plastic on plastic feel that my GraphireET had. Thankfully though, since I have drawn so much, lots of the texture on the tablet surface has worn down. Also, I don't use the nibs that came with the tablet... I use generic (harder) ones that I bought on eBay. I find that it makes a difference for how long they last.