PDA

View Full Version : Headset reccomendations??

Mei
09-23-2015, 07:29 PM
So my headset finally died about 5 months ago and Im thinking of getting a new one soon. Poor thing served me well, but is WAY out of my budget right now (Logitech g35).

Does anyone have any personal preferences? I prefer something with either a detachable mic boom or a boomless mic. I also love pink x3

Taralack
09-23-2015, 09:19 PM
I use the Astro A50s, they are wireless and so comfy. No detachable mic though

Levi
09-23-2015, 10:19 PM
Before I answer...

Could you say what's the upper cap of what you're willing to spend ($50? $30?) -- I don't want to suggest something outside your budget.

Mei
09-24-2015, 11:24 PM

Ahkrin Descol
09-25-2015, 09:04 AM
If you want a surprisingly good headset for about $20-25 try the Microsoft Life Chat LX-3000. I was expecting a hunk of junk looking at the price and appearance of it and the thing lasted me more than 4 years, the sound quality's quite good and the microphone's crystal clear on the receiving end. I only used this headset for listening to music/playing games and chatting to friends but I never had any problems until it suddenly died.

Mei
09-25-2015, 03:33 PM
If you want a surprisingly good headset for about $20-25 try the Microsoft Life Chat LX-3000. I was expecting a hunk of junk looking at the price and appearance of it and the thing lasted me more than 4 years, the sound quality's quite good and the microphone's crystal clear on the receiving end. I only used this headset for listening to music/playing games and chatting to friends but I never had any problems until it suddenly died.

That actually sounds much better price-wise. It's surprising what you can get for cheap sometimes, thats why I put this thread up. thank you!! <(^u^)>

Ahkrin Descol
09-25-2015, 08:25 PM
That actually sounds much better price-wise. It's surprising what you can get for cheap sometimes, thats why I put this thread up. thank you!! <(^u^)>

No problem, hope it's what you're after ^_^

Dvir
09-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Get a Quality pair of Headphones you like & one of these: http://www.modmic.com/

WAY Better than any Headset.

Sendo Eevpix
09-29-2015, 02:12 PM
I am doing Turtle Beach EAR FORCE z11, and I really enjoy them. :)

Mei
09-29-2015, 08:20 PM
I am doing Turtle Beach EAR FORCE z11, and I really enjoy them. :)

How is Turtle Beach holding up for you? Any issues yet? Ive just had really bad luck in the past

Taw
10-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Get a Quality pair of Headphones you like & one of these: http://www.modmic.com/

WAY Better than any Headset.

This is what I was about to suggestion.

Antlion Modmic's are really amazing. Great quality, great sound and it's easy to attach to any set of headphones (you attach the base with an adhesive, and the microphone snaps onto it via a magnet, so you can remove it easily).

I use the v4 modmic + some HD 558's.

It's outside your price range a bit with that combo, but you can get some good sennheiser's still, plus a modmic for around $70 to $100.

sudro
10-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Wanna check Sony MDR 7506?
I used to use for video and sound editing work.

Dvir
11-09-2015, 04:39 PM
This is what I was about to suggestion.

Antlion Modmic's are really amazing. Great quality, great sound and it's easy to attach to any set of headphones (you attach the base with an adhesive, and the microphone snaps onto it via a magnet, so you can remove it easily).

I use the v4 modmic + some HD 558's.

It's outside your price range a bit with that combo, but you can get some good sennheiser's still, plus a modmic for around $70 to $100.

Yes, Modmic Audio quality is absurdly good, on par with a lot of high end mics.

considering doing a pairing with some ATH-AD900X's myself

Metsys
11-10-2015, 04:56 AM
I kind of want to try the ModMic now.

A while back I wanted something similar and the ModMic was one of the solutions I checked out, but I was unimpressed with the audio tests people uploaded. I mean, common. It's an un-powered dynamic mic; what did I expect? So I ended up getting creative with a Shure SM35-XLR and attached it to my headphones. The main drawback with using the SM35 is that the inline pre-amp makes the cable very heavy, so that part of the cable lays on the desk. Shure doesn't make extension cables for it either (you have to make those yourself). So unfortunately I can't move more than a foot from my computer without needing to take my headphones off. But it's a very high-quality condenser mic and sounds better than my studio mics that I was using previously for voice. I actually prefer it over the desk mountarm attached Audix OM3 I was previously using.

Being frustrated by the mobility issue, I revisited the ModMic and I just saw a video of someone doing an audio test. In addition to plugging it into their computer, which sounded like crap to my ears, they also plugged it into a field recorder, and then it sounded pretty good! Really good in fact. Of course, I totally didn't think of running the ModMic through a pre-amp, which the field recorder has.

So yeah, I want to try the ModMic now, but this time being plugged into my pre-amp, which all my other mics are. That should address the noise I was hearing with everyone else's audio tests, and then I'll be able to compare apples to apples.

Okay. I just bought a ModMic. I'll let you know what I think when I get them.

Dvir
11-14-2015, 01:41 AM
if you use a USB Amp DAC like this one the modmike will sound considerably better on your PC.

most PC audio cards (built in & add on) anymore are crap.

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphone-amplifiers/black-objective2-rear-power/

Metsys
11-14-2015, 05:04 AM
Ehhh, using a headphone amp in place of a microphone preamp seems like a bad idea. The principle is similar but they are not built to drive the same electrical equipment (voltage, resistance, current, etc.). You can get a standalone preamp or a small Behringer mixer that has a preamp for the same price as a headphone amp anyway. So I don't think there's a point in getting something that wasn't specifically designed for the task.

Dvir
11-15-2015, 06:30 PM
it has a built in mic to usb pre-amp & ADC.

Metsys
11-17-2015, 12:47 AM
I think you linked to a different product then. That one just had 1/4 in and out for headphones. No mic or USB connectors anywhere.

I got the ModMic today. It sounded okay when plugged into the soundcard compared to other headset mics, but without plugging it into a preamp it's just doesn't come close to what I already have. And not being able to plug it into a preamp is where the problem is. You need to have an adapter that will convert the 48v phantom power to the appropriate 5v plug-in power and converting the unbalanced connection to balanced XLR. They do make adapters that will do this, but they cost more than the ModMic, and at that point I'm just throwing good money after bad. It may be sacrilege, but I'm thinking of frankensteining my SM35 and the ModMic into something usable, or save the ModMic and just 3D print the parts and glue a magnet in there. Hell, SuperSculpy might even work. The concept behind the ModMic is really simple.

So what this means is that the quality of the ModMic, and all other headsets will be greatly dependent on the quality of your sound card or whatever audio interface you have that can accept the 3.5mm 5v unbalanced connector. Because I have a cheap internal sound card (and a Scarlett audio interface that is only used for ASIO applications), I have to stick with preamps and mics that use XLR connectors.

Ibuuyk
11-20-2015, 10:28 AM
The Axent Wear headphones are finally out and they're the best thing around. Plus they got cat ears and customizable LEDs so what's not to love?

SaulGoodman91
11-29-2016, 06:45 AM
Agreed, I bought some when they came out and I loved them:)

GrinnerTheWolf
01-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Bluetooth headphones are good no wires

- - - Updated - - -

You have to charge a lot but other then that I call them good headphones

Haroo Husky
02-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Panasonic are inexpensive but high-quality, as well as hardy; I've had mine for going on three years now. They tolerate bass quite well.

jenniferletty
11-10-2017, 06:34 AM
As per my choice "Bose QuietComfort 35" is the best