PDA

View Full Version : Any Craft Beer fans??

lilshark
08-25-2015, 02:52 PM
Curious if there is anyone else here that loves craft beer and trying new brews?

What are your favorite types of beer? What are your favorite breweries? What do you recommend?

Lets see. For me, I love stouts and porters. The darker the beer the better for me. I love smokey flavors of stouts and really tend to love a good milk stout for the creaminess and mix of that stout smokiness I adore. I like porters for their initial flavor and the room for creativity brewers can get with them.

One of my favorite beers is St. Peters Cream Stout, North High Brewing (Columbus OH brewery Milk stout) and Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

^ I recommend all of these by the way.

maugryph
08-25-2015, 03:33 PM
My friend makes beer so I get to taste many of his experiments. Some good.. some not so much. My favorites are porters, Ipas, and Lagers.

lilshark
08-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Nice! My S.O. is into home brewing too.

IPAs and Lagers aren't really my thing. I guess I am a malty beer over a hoppy beer person

Joybit
08-25-2015, 07:24 PM
I'm always into trying new beer. I think I've only ever had one that I thought was genuinely awful, but I'm far from picky so that may be at fault here XD

lilshark
08-25-2015, 08:06 PM
I'm always into trying new beer. I think I've only ever had one that I thought was genuinely awful, but I'm far from picky so that may be at fault here XD

Nice, does one come to mind that you particularly like?

And you aren't at fault for being picky I'll drink most beers but if I go to the store to buy some there are some I'd rather get for myself over others!

Joybit
08-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Nice, does one come to mind that you particularly like?

I tend to lean towards IPAs, love the taste of Hops. I'm not sure if it can be considered "craft" but I tend to just go for Goose Island 312 when I'm not feeling adventurous.

lilshark
08-25-2015, 08:49 PM
I tend to lean towards IPAs, love the taste of Hops. I'm not sure if it can be considered "craft" but I tend to just go for Goose Island 312 when I'm not feeling adventurous.

Yup I believe so. And just to check my knowledge of the definition : "The Brewers Association defines American craft brewers as "small, independent and traditional": "small" is defined as an "annual production of 6 million barrels of beer or less"; "independent" is defined as at least 75% owned or controlled by a craft brewer; and "traditional" is defined as brewing in which at least 50% ..."

Antumbra
08-25-2015, 09:13 PM
I love malty beers as well, but mostly around Irish Reds/Amber Ales area.

New Belgium brewery beers some one of my favorites around here. There also is a place called Dry Dock that is probably becoming a big name by now. Their stuff is amazing and is winning a bunch of awards at beer festivals.

For non-craft beer, I love Kilkenny Irish Red. I think it it owned by Guinness, but it is so hard to find here and it is frustrating.

lilshark
08-25-2015, 09:49 PM
I love malty beers as well, but mostly around Irish Reds/Amber Ales area.

New Belgium brewery beers some one of my favorites around here. There also is a place called Dry Dock that is probably becoming a big name by now. Their stuff is amazing and is winning a bunch of awards at beer festivals.

For non-craft beer, I love Kilkenny Irish Red. I think it it owned by Guinness, but it is so hard to find here and it is frustrating.

Usually not a beer I go to, but Irish reds can be absolutely amazing. I'll have to keep an eye out for Dry Dock. Never heard of them but maybe they'll make the rounds in columbus!

TeenageAngst
08-26-2015, 12:05 AM
Does Rolling Rock count as a craft beer?

maugryph
08-26-2015, 04:17 AM
Does Rolling Rock count as a craft beer?

No.

TeenageAngst
08-26-2015, 09:04 AM
What if I live outside the tri-state area?

lilshark
08-26-2015, 09:28 AM
wot

NachtWolf
08-30-2015, 03:52 PM
I usually attend 2-3 different craft beer festivals per year. I prefer ales at the moment, however I'll drink anything honestly. Brooklyn and Sierra Nevada are always a fine choice. He'brew (Shmaltz Brewing Company) has had some excellent brews, but they're a bit tough to find at times.

At some point I'd love to visit Ommegang's brewery.. I was only two hours away from it while I was at college.

Mei
08-30-2015, 04:39 PM
I used to really really enjoy trying new beers. My favorites used to be stouts, porters, and dark ales. The Dogfather's Imperial Russian Stout used to be my favorite, and anything brewed locally by Mendocino in CA ^^

Now i really only drink one or two light beers and get totally wasted xD i lost a ton of weight. my tastes have changed so much i cant drink the dark ones anymore. Im really sad about that :(

Oh! And for imports, anything by Weihenstefaner gets my seal of approval!! *Pawprint* ooh, and doppelbocks. SO YUM YUMS!!!!

NachtWolf
08-30-2015, 05:10 PM
I used to really really enjoy trying new beers. My favorites used to be stouts, porters, and dark ales. The Dogfather's Imperial Russian Stout used to be my favorite, and anything brewed locally by Mendocino in CA ^^

Now i really only drink one or two light beers and get totally wasted xD i lost a ton of weight. my tastes have changed so much i cant drink the dark ones anymore. Im really sad about that :(

Oh! And for imports, anything by Weihenstefaner gets my seal of approval!! *Pawprint* ooh, and doppelbocks. SO YUM YUMS!!!!

Oof.. sorry to hear that about your tastes changing Mei... at least now you don't have to spend a ton to be in a good state of mind? x3

Mei
08-30-2015, 05:44 PM
Oof.. sorry to hear that about your tastes changing Mei... at least now you don't have to spend a ton to be in a good state of mind? x3

Yes, its been fairly liberating <3 i used to be alcoholic, i couldnt go a day without it until one day i was lying there and figured out why i was unhappy and what fueled the drinking. I started trying to better my situation from that day forward and the drinking just sorta stopped.. i found a great boyfriend who i am living with now and am looking for a new job :)

That doesnt change the fact that i miss dark beer xD im just spacey enough without being drunk... you might mistake me for drunk in public x3

lilshark
08-31-2015, 10:24 AM
I usually attend 2-3 different craft beer festivals per year. I prefer ales at the moment, however I'll drink anything honestly. Brooklyn and Sierra Nevada are always a fine choice. He'brew (Shmaltz Brewing Company) has had some excellent brews, but they're a bit tough to find at times.

At some point I'd love to visit Ommegang's brewery.. I was only two hours away from it while I was at college.

I love He'Brew's porter. I just got to try it a few weeks ago and I was blown away. If you are ever in Michigan, and find yourself near Kalamazoo, go to Bell's. They have a ton of beer on tap that they never bottle and I can't remember the name, but they had the best stout I have ever tasted. I was in beer heaven

And Mei congratulations on your life style changes :). Those take a lot of hard work but good on you, and hey, if you decide to have a heavier beer at least you know you won't be paying for multiple 7 dollars pints

sayum
09-03-2015, 12:47 AM
I'm all about that lager and ale. The darker the better. Though if I must have a pale ale it would be Duvel.
insert le fav local pub (http://www.luckybaldwins.com/index.html)

Shanwang
09-05-2015, 02:31 AM
Where I live, the warmer climates make drinking the dark brews a bit more difficult as much as I love them. So, I've seasonalized my choices.

Gun to my head? I love the porters, stouts, and malty beers available to me here. However, there are so many brews to choose from that I can find an IPA, Amber, or Blonde that eases my summer thirst. SO! During the summer months, I really enjoy Hops and Grains Zoe Pale Dog Ale. It's a light, crispy hoppy dry ale that really quenches a summer thirst and isn't as filling as say the regular pils that's available. In autumn, I shift toward the scotch ales. Old Chub is an easy favorite followed by the Texas Brewed Rhar and Son's Iron Thistle. Winter is all PORTERS AND STOUTS BRA, we're talking Real Ale's Russian Imperial Stout - Commissar, 512's Pecan Porter, Real Ale's Coffee Porter and the major brands. Spring, I mix both the dark stuff and move toward the light brews, lagers shift into the mix and Thirsty Planet's Thirsty Goat is an easy favorite. Not the greatest lager but easy, inexpensive go to.

lilshark
09-10-2015, 10:49 PM
Where I live, the warmer climates make drinking the dark brews a bit more difficult as much as I love them. So, I've seasonalized my choices.

Gun to my head? I love the porters, stouts, and malty beers available to me here. However, there are so many brews to choose from that I can find an IPA, Amber, or Blonde that eases my summer thirst. SO! During the summer months, I really enjoy Hops and Grains Zoe Pale Dog Ale. It's a light, crispy hoppy dry ale that really quenches a summer thirst and isn't as filling as say the regular pils that's available. In autumn, I shift toward the scotch ales. Old Chub is an easy favorite followed by the Texas Brewed Rhar and Son's Iron Thistle. Winter is all PORTERS AND STOUTS BRA, we're talking Real Ale's Russian Imperial Stout - Commissar, 512's Pecan Porter, Real Ale's Coffee Porter and the major brands. Spring, I mix both the dark stuff and move toward the light brews, lagers shift into the mix and Thirsty Planet's Thirsty Goat is an easy favorite. Not the greatest lager but easy, inexpensive go to.

A local brew house makes an amazing Russian Imperial Stout. Because of their price though I only tend to get them on special occasional. If you EVER find your self in Columbus Ohio, go to North High Brewing. They are a new local brewery and I am absolutely hooked on their Milk Stout. It is smooth, tasty and just incredible.

In cbus I find myself in a very similar situation. While the climate does not prevent folks from brewing amazing dark brews, the locals really like their hop heavy beer. It can be difficult finding porters and stouts just because the local palete really likes IPAs.

XyWeasel
09-12-2015, 09:08 AM
I'm not very familiar with craft beers yet, but I've found a really tasty and powerfully hoppy one by a Scottish craft beer outfit called Brewdog, and now I'm interested in finding more. Though I wouldn't turn down a deep malty stout, either.

lilshark
09-22-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm not very familiar with craft beers yet, but I've found a really tasty and powerfully hoppy one by a Scottish craft beer outfit called Brewdog, and now I'm interested in finding more. Though I wouldn't turn down a deep malty stout, either.

Ah Brew Dog! They are looking to build their first stateside brewery here in my home town. I have not had the chance to try their brews yet but I am really looking forward to it since it seems very likely I can try their beers very soon as fresh as you can get them!

Onnes
09-22-2015, 09:26 PM
As a sixth year graduate student, I think calling myself a craft beer "fan" might be a bit of an understatement.

There's a a new brewery near me called Sketchbook (http://www.sketchbookbrewing.com/) that describes itself as a "Community Supported Brewery." They started with a kickstarter and still sell memberships which come with some number of growler fills per month plus a 10% discount on ordinary purchases. Their beer is pretty impressive, too. Open less than a year and they've trialed a large number varieties without relying on high hops and/or high abv. As a go-to beer their IPA is probably one of my favorites.

Marcus
09-23-2015, 02:21 PM
I am one! I need to cut back on it though, can gain weight that way.

Really love the Belgian ales and imperial stouts.

grassfed
09-25-2015, 07:05 AM
Wheres all the sour/saison/lambic fans??? I can hardly even drink "regular" beer anymore :P

http://i.imgur.com/ZA5mxrt.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/a1xCdUg.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/JYy51OJ.jpg?1

I would seriously urge you to seek out some sours/lambics if you havent tried them, its a whole new ballpark!

just stay away from any Lindemans Lambics(except the Cuvee Rene) you might see in a store, they're pasteurized and full of syrups/sweeteners :sick:

Shanwang
09-26-2015, 04:05 AM
A local brew house makes an amazing Russian Imperial Stout. Because of their price though I only tend to get them on special occasional. If you EVER find your self in Columbus Ohio, go to North High Brewing. They are a new local brewery and I am absolutely hooked on their Milk Stout. It is smooth, tasty and just incredible.

If I ever visit Columbus or if I find North High Brewing (as in somehow, some importer gets them) here in ATX, I'll definitely pick up a six pack or three.

Wheres all the sour/saison/lambic fans??? I can hardly even drink "regular" beer anymore :P

I would seriously urge you to seek out some sours/lambics if you havent tried them, its a whole new ballpark!

just stay away from any Lindemans Lambics(except the Cuvee Rene) you might see in a store, they're pasteurized and full of syrups/sweeteners :sick:

The few saisons I've had, I liked, though not as prevalent in the markets I go to around here. Karbach out of Houston had an okay saison but I can't say it's something I'd pick up again. Next time I'm at the liquor megastore I might just pick one up to have...while I yell at my school's football team.

Christiaan
09-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Double black IPA tops my list of favorite styles, just because it's cool. Those types of beers have so much depth and personality. It feels like an adventure to just sit there savoring all of the different dimensions to them. The bitterness really enhances how acutely you can sense the more subtle components.

My favorite individual beer is Aviator HogWild IPA. Oh, yeah: I'm kind of macho about my tolerance for the more bitter flavors, just so you know. Anything I recommend will have you yodeling.

lilshark
09-26-2015, 08:26 PM

Sadly I am just not a fan of those. I really do not like the tartness that many have. :(

grassfed
09-27-2015, 06:44 AM
Sadly I am just not a fan of those. I really do not like the tartness that many have. :(

I can't get enough! :roflmao:

Dargo
10-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Around where I live (Poland), for decades the only practically available sort of beer was industrially mass-produced pale lager. Not always bad (especially the more widespread brands), it wasn't super great either, and just kinda boring.

Literally in recent couple of years, we seem to be having enormous development of smaller-scale breweries. And they have much higher variety. I haven't still sampled all they have to offer. I can name my favorites more in the terms of types of beer, than producers.

I totally love 'Märzenbier'. Reddish colored, both malty and hoppy, relatively bitter - tastes delicious to me.

I also love wheat beer. An opposite to the one mentioned above, not really bitter, yellow and cloudy, with specific 'fruity' aroma.

Interestingly, for some reason (no such tradition?), ale is hard to come by. I've tried only one of the local production, termed 'wild ale' - is it even a style? - and it was great.

I'm fine with porters too. Though I don't get them very often.

Another kind are dark lagers. Some being practically black. This is not the same as porters, the taste is still like pale lager, with some influence from the darker malts.

I also like beers that are 'natural' - non-pasteurized, unfiltered and cloudy. Then even a pale lager gets much more interesting. ;)

About lambics though, there are none around to be found easily. It is something I've only read about.

grassfed
10-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Interestingly, for some reason (no such tradition?), ale is hard to come by. I've tried only one of the local production, termed 'wild ale' - is it even a style? - and it was great.

I also like beers that are 'natural' - non-pasteurized, unfiltered and cloudy. Then even a pale lager gets much more interesting. ;)

About lambics though, there are none around to be found easily. It is something I've only read about.

Practically all I drink is wild ales :P the 'wild' aspect is due to bacteria/yeast in the beer thats typically found in the air/environment that 'infects' the beer and give it its sour/funky characteristics. Thats more-so the case for lambic which is spontaneously fermented(my favorite kind of beers). American wild/sour producers usually use cultivated strains of wild yeasts/bacteria, there is a handful of US breweries doing spontaneously fermented beers(The two in my pic with the rustic/simple looking black/white labels). Lactobacillus/Pediococcus are bacteria that impart tart/sour flavor. Brettanomyces is a wild yeast strain that gives a lot of wild ales/lambics their 'funky' characteristics, grassy/barnyard/horse blanket are just a few ways people like to describe the funk. I personally love it, much like some funky cheese :P

had a nice little bottle share yesterday, a few were from 2009 and drinking really well!
http://i.imgur.com/qih1a5x.jpg?1

Skylar_Husky
10-07-2015, 04:39 PM
A friend of mine and I used to brew our own beer. It is a good hobby and quite a bit of satisfaction comes in when you taste something you made and it is good. It can go quite badly and taste really rotten if it goes off though.
This friend and I have had a lot of things happen in about the last four years or so, so he and I both have stopped brewing. I no longer have the room for it and all the paraphernalia in my house. It has to be stored which makes cleaning before use mandatory.
This friend has had a job offer he could not pass up come up for him in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and to celebrate and have a last harrumph before he leaves on Oct 9th, we went to National Pirate's Day event at a local microbrewery trying to get going and get on its feet.
I find I like most anything for beer. I am most fond of Belgian Abbey Ales, Dubbels and Trippels, but this Microbrewery was doing something I have not had before, putting Lactose in the beer. The yeast do not digest the Lactose carbohydrate and so it remains after the alcohol fermentation step, but as a finishing, they put lactobacillis bacteria in the beer to sour it. It was just nasty. I nearly spat them straight out.

grassfed
10-07-2015, 04:48 PM
I find I like most anything for beer. I am most fond of Belgian Abbey Ales, Dubbels and Trippels, but this Microbrewery was doing something I have not had before, putting Lactose in the beer. The yeast do not digest the Lactose carbohydrate and so it remains after the alcohol fermentation step, but as a finishing, they put lactobacillis bacteria in the beer to sour it. It was just nasty. I nearly spat them straight out.

See now I love a good sour, gimme all the lactobacillus/pediococcus!! But the thing I dont get, is the lactose! I've never seen any brewery add lactose to a sour, thats just weird to me :P

Please give some more a try, 'sour' beer really isn't necessarily a style, its more of a descriptor. Theres many styles which can have an inherent sourness to it, some just a little and some a lot. A lot of sour/wild ales and saisons have more of a wine or champagne like quality to them, pretty much the best beer to get wine drinkers into beer. And thats the funny thing, I hate wine with a passion but I LOVE beers aged in wine barrels or with wine-like qualities to them :P

Skylar_Husky
10-07-2015, 05:17 PM
I have heard of recipes calling for a dash of lactose added to them strictly for the fact that it doesn't overly sweeten, but will mildly sweeten whilst being simultaneously resistant to the yeast fermention step in the process.

And a little sour is alright. Sometimes it does give the beer some character.

These beers at the Microbrewery open-house were way over-the-top sour. It tasted like the beer in my 1/2 Liter mug was mixed with a cup (240 mL) of white distilled vinegar. It truly was disgusting.

grassfed
10-07-2015, 07:05 PM
awww it had a big vinegar character?? I hate overly acetic beers! a little touch of vinegar is good in cases like lambic but I dont like it over powering. I like lactic sourness over acetic, Brett beers even get some sour to them after a year or two of bottle-conditioning. Russian River's Sanctification is a good example, its a 100% Brett fermented blonde and it gets so good after a year in the bottle. I've had one that was 6 years old and it was just divine.

Are you familiar with Jester King? They make some fantastic saisons and sours! If you ever do trades I'm always looking for someone with good Texas offerings, I got access to pretty much whatever west coast brews you could think of :laugh:

Skylar_Husky
10-08-2015, 04:42 AM
awww it had a big vinegar character?? I hate overly acetic beers! a little touch of vinegar is good in cases like lambic but I dont like it over powering. I like lactic sourness over acetic, Brett beers even get some sour to them after a year or two of bottle-conditioning. Russian River's Sanctification is a good example, its a 100% Brett fermented blonde and it gets so good after a year in the bottle. I've had one that was 6 years old and it was just divine.

Are you familiar with Jester King? They make some fantastic saisons and sours! If you ever do trades I'm always looking for someone with good Texas offerings, I got access to pretty much whatever west coast brews you could think of :laugh:

Hmm. I'll let you know. Thank you for the information.
Lambics are really good. I have had a few from Spec's Liquor Warehouse in downtown Houston. It is like the best liquor store in the whole city and they probably carry the beers you are talking about there. In addition to beer, liquor and wine they import fine cheeses, snacks and foods from all over as well. They import snacks, cold cuts and other fine things I have only had when I was in Germany, and they are the only place in Houston where I can find Moxie. Otherwise I have to buy it in Maine.

Shanwang
12-13-2015, 01:39 AM

I am. Jester King's a few miles south of where I live. I've been meaning to take the tour there but for whatever reason I haven't been able to make it there. My gf and I went to fermentation fest a couple months back and a butcher shop was talking about how they were working with Jester King, using their yeast to ferment some summer sausage but couldn't release it per USDA regulations, pH wasn't 'safely' cooking the meat, etc.

Anyways. If there's something out of Austin, I could probably find it.

I'm not sure about their sours and saisons but I've generally had good experiences with Karbach Brewery out of Houston.

FYI