PDA

View Full Version : [FORUM] Ignore function - Could it be better?

Moogle
08-22-2015, 04:45 PM
Didn't think I'd ever have to use it, but shit some people are just too much. While it works dandy enough, I'm wondering if there's any way to improve it?

On the forums it is slightly different. If you Ignore a user you cannot see their comments and they can not PM you.
This is VBs 'ignore function" so the mainsite block function is much more powerful in terms of what it does.

^ From this topic (https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?6787-New-Ignore-Feature&p=76116&viewfull=1#post76116)

There's a certain topic I'm trying to keep updated on, but whenever someone quotes that specific user I'm still able to see what they've wrote. I understand this is probably an impossible thing to censor especially if it's vbulletin's own 'blacklist', but I'm curious to know if there's a way for you guys to somehow code in a way to eliminate a blocked users post from view even in quotes, or just any other measures I could take (other than avoiding what a user has quoted) to minimize their presence on the forum?

This is more just for clarification as I'm sure there's no way to realistically implement this, but it's worth an ask. :o

Taw
08-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Didn't think I'd ever have to use it, but shit some people are just too much. While it works dandy enough, I'm wondering if there's any way to improve it?

^ From this topic (https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?6787-New-Ignore-Feature&p=76116&viewfull=1#post76116)

There's a certain topic I'm trying to keep updated on, but whenever someone quotes that specific user I'm still able to see what they've wrote. I understand this is probably an impossible thing to censor especially if it's vbulletin's own 'blacklist', but I'm curious to know if there's a way for you guys to somehow code in a way to eliminate a blocked users post from view even in quotes, or just any other measures I could take (other than avoiding what a user has quoted) to minimize their presence on the forum?

This is more just for clarification as I'm sure there's no way to realistically implement this, but it's worth an ask. :o

I know there's an existing vBulletin mod that can do this, however, if someone quotes without the name, snips the name, or edits it in any way, it would still show up unfortunately. I don't think there's a solution out there that would be able to completely remove them, but this one is a possibility that would work for a majority of cases.

I'll look into it and see if it's compatible with our current plugins, mods and forum version.

Moogle
08-22-2015, 04:59 PM
That's still fantastic news to hear as it's more than what I was expecting. Really hope it works. :) Thanks a ton, Taw!

Taw
08-22-2015, 05:01 PM
That's still fantastic news to hear as it's more than what I was expecting. Really hope it works. :) Thanks a ton, Taw!

No problem! I'm working all weekend however, so it may take a few days for me to investigate the option. I'll keep you posted.

Socks the Fox
08-22-2015, 05:39 PM
One of the things that makes this difficult is that when user A quotes user B, the forum literally makes an entire copy of the text under user A's name, with only the 'name' part of the quote tag offering any indication of who's being quoted. If user B gets a name change, suddenly all those quotes are visible again. If user A splits quotes, 99% of the time they don't add user B's name to the further quotes, so those are all visible. Changing this would basically require recoding the entire forum software, which is no small project.

DrunkCat
08-22-2015, 10:12 PM
It's almost like forums are specifically designed for open and unhindered discussion...

Antumbra
08-22-2015, 11:30 PM

YOU CAN'T BLOCK ME MOOGLE!!! Muahahahahaha!

Please don't block me

Vae
08-23-2015, 12:13 AM
If it's more about their name (and the idea of their presence) being uncomfortable, rather than their post content, you could always just download a text filter for the browser you use, and replace their name with something else, entirely.
Like a period,
or something else inconspicuous.

Moogle
08-23-2015, 02:16 AM
YOU CAN'T BLOCK ME MOOGLE!!! Muahahahahaha!

Please don't block me

Like I'd do that! ...-hits button- ;)

If it's more about their name (and the idea of their presence) being uncomfortable, rather than their post content, you could always just download a text filter for the browser you use, and replace their name with something else, entirely.
Like a period,
or something else inconspicuous.

It's the content, a name would never bother me. xD It's just annoying having to filter through their spammy/rude posts is all, as I'm sure they're only on the forums for that one specific topic.

DrunkCat
08-23-2015, 02:35 AM
It's the content, a name would never bother me. xD It's just annoying having to filter through their spammy/rude posts is all, as I'm sure they're only on the forums for that one specific topic.

Such mystery, very vague, much subtlety. :whistling: