PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting a comic

SidewalkSurfboard
08-20-2015, 12:32 AM
I'm thinking of starting a comic about my Fursona, Tribble, and his day-to-day life and the struggles he faces. Do you guys have any tips on how to start a comic?

Socks the Fox
08-20-2015, 12:55 AM
I think this is good advice :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU

SidewalkSurfboard
08-20-2015, 12:57 AM
I think this is good advice :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU
That got a good laugh outta me.

Noxid
08-20-2015, 01:01 AM
my advice is to not expect to be able to create an entire comic series right off the bat. Start off with like, self-contained strips that can stand on their own, make em' at your own pace and see how it works out for you. Making comics is a bit tricky, since you don't just have to draw it but you also have to write and plan it out so that it ends up being funny.

rbartrop
08-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Yes, follow Mr. LaBeouf's advice. If you're asking about the mechanics of it, just read other comics and see how they do it. If you're planning some sort of story arc, outlines are your friend.

Socks the Fox
08-20-2015, 05:09 PM
I will say this: Be careful about where you place your text. Don't cover up the artwork if possible. Lay out the artwork to make room for the text.

Second, be sure the panel flow is obvious. 3-4 panel strips are easy, but pages can be tricky.

Getta
08-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I gotta agree with Mr. LaBeouf, too. As funny as the video is, it's the plain truth. If you want to make comics, the biggest step is simply to begin making comics.

Noxid's advice is good, too. Don't start with an opus. Start simple, set goals that don't overwhelm you. Once you build up momentum and experience, bigger tasks seem easier.

As to the actual mechanics of making a comic, I recommend beginning with an outline. For a strip comic, the outline could simply be a single line describing the strip, followed by breaking it down further to a single line for each panel. Everyone is full of ideas, authors are those who write their ideas down. Once you have the outline it's easy to turn that into a script or a thumbnail.

Thumbnails are a great way to plan your comic. Just stick figures and boxes to map out how you want to layout the panels, the action, and where you'll leave space for word balloons.

maugryph
08-24-2015, 02:39 AM
"Making Comics" by Scott McCloud. Is an amazing book. It's not genre specific and focus more on layout and storytelling aspects.

Zeitzbach
08-24-2015, 07:02 AM
Before you start doing comic, build up the energy by doing something like "100 pic sketches done" in a month iron artist.

Cause making a comic consume that much energy if you want to make them good with proper color and shading.

But if you're going for shit-n-giggle, just write down the idea, draft it then draw it if you like it.

Aquinon
08-25-2015, 01:48 AM
http://38.media.tumblr.com/ad1f58d7ddc20a673a55e7fdff73234e/tumblr_njzkxb1PzY1s2z628o2_400.gif

I love comics, would totally read it

GlaringFeline
08-25-2015, 02:23 PM
I'd suggest practicing action poses(like walking, running, waving, etc) and perspective before you get started if you haven't done a lot of it since there's a pretty good chance you might run into an action scene or want to spice things up with perspective(two things that will look like a hot mess if they're done wrong, I know from experience).

Getta
08-28-2015, 03:53 PM
A couple of people have posted "do X before starting a comic", but I'm going to repeat myself. Start your comic now. Waiting until you're "ready" is a trap. Your first comic is not going to be your best comic, and that's ok. The practice and experience you'll get through making that comic will help you to make your next comic better. You'll also be practicing other aspects of comic-making that you don't get when focusing on one aspect of drawing.

Yes, draw more. Yes, practice action poses. You should always do that. Just don't put off working on comics until you're "ready" or you'll never be ready.

But again, set reasonable goals. Self-contained strips. Short stories that are only 1-5 pages. Comics you know you can finish. You'll find with each finished comic you get under your belt, the easier it gets to start another.