PDA

View Full Version : [SITE] Is Weasyl going to have a 'Daily Deviation' sort of feature? If not, it should!

MordrudesMonsters
10-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Forgive me if this was already discussed, but I think it would be a nice touch. Aside from browsing the new submissions, this is one of the ways I learn about new artists, and it's nice to give people some recognition for their hard work.

For anyone not familiar with how a daily deviation works, people can suggest pieces of art, photos, literature, etc and a panel selects a few a day to feature along the bottom of the site's main page, and also on their own special page.

Fay V
10-04-2012, 01:40 PM
We're actually considering a few plans for something like daily deviations, though we have nothing concrete and we need to develop other features for the beta, so we won't have any solid information for a while. Still I'll pass on the interest to the rest of the staff, it sounds like a great idea for the groups feature to utilize.

Morphology
10-04-2012, 02:42 PM
I like the idea, though I think we should add a more random element to it, like "Random Featured Artist of the Day", where one of the users would be chosen at random. I notice for every Daily Deviation the DA staff chooses, there's always going to be a large amount of folks crying favoritism or popularity, or saying the staff prefers one genre/fandom/style over the others or something. If it's completely random, anyone can get a chance for a quick visibility boost, and folks can just curse probability if they're mad. XD

Unburnt Daenerys
10-04-2012, 04:51 PM
I like the idea, though I think we should add a more random element to it, like "Random Featured Artist of the Day", where one of the users would be chosen at random. I notice for every Daily Deviation the DA staff chooses, there's always going to be a large amount of folks crying favoritism or popularity, or saying the staff prefers one genre/fandom/style over the others or something. If it's completely random, anyone can get a chance for a quick visibility boost, and folks can just curse probability if they're mad. XD

This, but with separate features for art, music, and literature! Maybe other categories, too. Photography, three dimensional art, etc.

Morphology
10-04-2012, 05:42 PM
This, but with separate features for art, music, and literature! Maybe other categories, too. Photography, three dimensional art, etc.

Good idea. And if folks want to feature folks or art based on merit/popularity/whatever, they can do it in their own groups.

RX-149Dragonite
10-04-2012, 06:19 PM
I notice for every Daily Deviation the DA staff chooses, there's always going to be a large amount of folks crying favoritism or popularity, or saying the staff prefers one genre/fandom/style over the others or something.

THIIIIIIS

Seriously, one day there was a really generic "I'M A GAMER GURRL" photo in the daily deviation and it wasn't even very well done by many peoples' standards. That picture was the last straw for me with dA, since I also dislike their moderation staff for not removing copyright violations (demotivational pictures, stock art, official art, etc.) and how they persecute those who want to make it known copyright violation is a problem.

I rather have it be a competition of some sort, for a monthly featured artist/picture, in various categories. That way, it actually breeds artistic talent and it isn't a randomized thing.

Morphology
10-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I rather have it be a competition of some sort, for a monthly featured artist/picture, in various categories. That way, it actually breeds artistic talent and it isn't a randomized thing.

Though if it was a competition, I'd want the "judge" to be someone who is in no way affiliated with the staff. For example groups could have their own featured things, and there could be a ticker. I just kinda shy away at the idea of mods judging or picking featured works, because I feel like it feels like favoritism and hurts the moderator/member relationship. Someday something will be picked and folks will yell, "He/She bribed and kissed up to the mods for that feature!" My personal philosophy is to be active and supportive, but impartial, but that's just me. XD

Alternatively alternatively, if you want to breed talent, why not feature folks that get featured! Someone gets recognized as a guest of honor at a convention? Feature that! "Weasyl's own -insertnamehere- named Guest of Honor for Nerdcon 2013". Someone wins a huge contest? Feature that person and the article. An musician gets a high-selling song/album? Feature! An artist wins Face-Off? They get featured. And the stories could be on some tab like "Weasyls in the News" or something. That way folks get featured, it inspires folks to gather rapport and get better, and no-one running Weasyl can be accused of favoritism because it is outside sources picking people.

taasla
10-05-2012, 08:41 PM
I kind of like the idea of random artist. That way it isn't seen as favoritism and everyone has a chance at ending up in the spotlight. Even if they haven't been doing art for years and years and haven't built up the same skill level. At least they can get folks in to encourage them to keep going.

Kasune
10-05-2012, 10:05 PM
I kind of like the idea of random artist. That way it isn't seen as favoritism and everyone has a chance at ending up in the spotlight. Even if they haven't been doing art for years and years and haven't built up the same skill level. At least they can get folks in to encourage them to keep going.

^ This. If Weasyl turns into a competition, I'll be very disappointed. Competition not only brings out the absolute WORST in people, but it also crushes the hearts of others if they "don't win." As a person who has never gotten first place in a contest no matter how hard I worked, I despise the thought of a competition showing up at a shiny new website.

The chances should be equal for everyone, regardless of skill level. It offers plenty of opportunities to receive watchers and comments, and critiques if the featured artist wishes to get them. It should bring more positive than negative in any case.

Taw
10-05-2012, 10:13 PM
^ This. If Weasyl turns into a competition, I'll be very disappointed. Competition not only brings out the absolute WORST in people, but it also crushes the hearts of others if they "don't win." As a person who has never gotten first place in a contest no matter how hard I worked, I despise the thought of a competition showing up at a shiny new website.

The chances should be equal for everyone, regardless of skill level. It offers plenty of opportunities to receive watchers and comments, and critiques if the featured artist wishes to get them. It should bring more positive than negative in any case.

I am not sure what we're planning to do right now in terms of competitions or random featuring or spotlights right now, but I do have something to say related to this.

In regards to competitions:

I used to be the Lead GFX Admin on a website of 65,000 or so users at the time, and we would host Signature of the Week contests. These were great for a while, until the community started drawing in more members into the GFX section (other sections were non-art related and more gaming related and such).

Over time, running these contests were actually getting stressful to handle and manage for my admins and I. People would harass us and say we were picking favourites in the contests, or saying that some people were cheating and using pre-made things, etc. We did catch a few people who attempted to cheat, and while I was there no one won who turned out to have cheated in some form, but it was getting to the point where I had to eventually step down from doing the contests, and let the co-lead GFX Admin manage them whilst I did other tasks.

Competitions can be great fun, but as stated they do bring out the worst in some people. People will be disappointed and crushed they didn't win when they spent hours and hours of work on some competition, and others will get mad at you when they don't win or when their favourites/friends don't win and yell at you and call you biased or say you don't know what true art is, etc.

I can see us throwing contests down the line, but we would need to thoroughly discuss how we'd go about doing them and such, especially how to eliminate bias and favouritism.

I do like the idea of a random featured artist though!