PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 upgrade!

Moogle
07-29-2015, 12:59 PM
https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/28/windows-10-free-upgrade-available-in-190-countries-today/

Saw the lil icon at the bottom and decided to do a bit of snooping. Think it's worth the upgrade or would you prefer to stick with your current OS? I'm quite content with Windows 7 so I don't think I'll be making the switch, but if there's really great reviews on it then I might just have to!

For the ones who jumped ahead and got it, how is it? :eek:

Socks the Fox
07-29-2015, 01:30 PM
I upgraded today. So far it seems fairly nice, basically 7 with a splash of 8.1's UI, but there are a few little things about it I'm 'eh' about. Mainly the "each monitor has it's own wallpaper slideshow" thing that I can't change (I want a slideshow, but I want them all to have the same wallpaper). But for the most part it's not too different.

Ibuuyk
07-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Upgrade took four hours to do and now my desktop runs slower than a virus-riddled Windows 95 and literally nothing works. I was very hyped but suffice it to say, I'm very disappointed and can't wait for the Day One patch... which I hope will be an automatic update since that's be the only way I could get it.

Meanwhile, the upgrade barely took 10 mins on my mom's laptop and it runs perfectly for her, so it's basically a case-by-case thing. My advice is, wait they fix their shit and release a SP for it.

Sutekh_the_Steak
07-29-2015, 07:51 PM
Took about 2.5 hours from downloading to being installed, and so far everything works fine! The main features are all pretty much the same, and the new ones I'm probably never gonna use (like Cortana and Edge) because they're a bit useless to me really. :P

The only thing bugging me is the audio equalizer I've fine-tuned over the past year or so doesn't work with Windows 10 - I've downloaded a few patches for this from Toshiba but none of them are working, so in the meantime I've found another audio equalizer which seems to be doing the job fine. c:

Overall I'd say the UI is more different from Windows 8 than I expected it to be, in terms of new icons and stuff - they're all a bit different so far as I can see, unlike Windows 8 which had identical icons to Windows 7. Some have been totally redesigned (e.g. wi-fi icon) whereas most are just more streamlined I guess. The start menu being back is pretty nice too, although it really shouldn't have gone in the first place.

Speedwise, for me it's still still as speedy as Windows 8 was so that's fine. Only difference is it now takes about two minutes to boot up instead of the usual 30 seconds as it was with Windows 8, which is a wee bit annoying. Hopefully there'll be a patch that speeds a few things up in the future though.

Rilvor
07-30-2015, 12:26 PM
Meanwhile, the upgrade barely took 10 mins on my mom's laptop and it runs perfectly for her, so it's basically a case-by-case thing. My advice is, wait they fix their shit and release a SP for it.

This happens all the time with Windows, even when they aren't releasing an entirely new one and it's just a small thing. Personally I'm not even going to touch until I have to buy a new computer, I don't see why I should bother when they have the track record of Bethesda for buggy releases.

Moogle
07-30-2015, 06:09 PM
Just heard from my bro (which he read from here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/72246055)) is that there's advertisements in the start menu now? Also, apparently there's a lot less privacy as information is sent to Microsoft. I realize a link from gamefaqs isn't the most reliable, but I think it's definitely best (or at least for those who are worry warts like me xD) to wait until it's polished more.

Upgrade took four hours to do and now my desktop runs slower than a virus-riddled Windows 95 and literally nothing works. I was very hyped but suffice it to say, I'm very disappointed and can't wait for the Day One patch... which I hope will be an automatic update since that's be the only way I could get it.

That's a big part of why I waited, I don't think I could stand having such lag (& having hardly anything work, ofc!). Sorry to hear about your desktop though, keeping my fingers crossed for ya that the patch fixes your issues.

(Appreciate the input, guys! :o)

GlaringFeline
07-30-2015, 07:27 PM
I'm waiting to update mainly because I don't know if SAI, FireAlpaca, or GIMP is compatible with 10 yet. Also don't know if PS Elements 8 will work with it.

As for how it runs, I have a friend who owns a computer repair shop and web hosting that says it runs a little faster than 7. I don't remember him telling me anything about it being buggy.

Sutekh_the_Steak
07-30-2015, 09:22 PM
I'm waiting to update mainly because I don't know if SAI, FireAlpaca, or GIMP is compatible with 10 yet. Also don't know if PS Elements 8 will work with it.

GIMP runs fine on my copy of Windows 10, dunno about the other programmes though.

Vae
07-30-2015, 11:31 PM
Just heard from my bro (which he read from here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/72246055)) is that there's advertisements in the start menu now? Also, apparently there's a lot less privacy as information is sent to Microsoft. I realize a link from gamefaqs isn't the most reliable, but I think it's definitely best (or at least for those who are worry warts like me xD) to wait until it's polished more.
There's more details about the privacy issue [here] (https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/)
and how to turn off all its intrusive, data mining garbage [here] (https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f38ed/guide_how_to_disable_data_logging_in_w10/).

I'm not upgrading for at least a month or two, just because I don't want to deal with the hassle that comes with fresh, unpatched software. (Especially involving an OS, which the entire computer depends on.)
But this is definitely a dick move on MS' part. There's that catch that I figured would happen with a free OS upgrade. Didn't really think they were doing it just out of the kindness of their hearts.

Onnes
07-31-2015, 12:03 AM
Did the upgrade on my laptop today without any issues; the installer didn't even have any issues with booting from grub. They've definitely cleaned up the interface a good bit since Windows 8/8.1, although a lot of the configuration and administrative tools are still legacy. The new virtual desktops seem stable enough, so hopefully some third-party applications will add in more features to make them comparable to older solutions like dexpot. I still haven't used it enough to say anything about performance, and my workflow really isn't sensitive to changes to the Windows desktop.

Noxid
07-31-2015, 08:58 AM
My experience with the updater so far:

http://i.imgur.com/kUxsZWa.png

Vae
08-01-2015, 03:25 AM
Apparently [Windows 10 shares your wifi password with people] (http://reviews.gizmodo.com/why-the-hell-is-windows-10-sharing-my-wi-fi-passwords-1719900675).
Just a heads up, for anyone who wants to disable that (instructions in the link) immediately.

Seriously, the more I hear about this shit, the more the OS upgrade sounds fishy as hell.
What are they thinking?

Noxid
08-01-2015, 09:23 AM
they tell you about that option when you install W10 though, and it's off by default according to my friend who installed it a few days ago

so it will, but only if you let it

Eagle GodHeart
08-03-2015, 11:54 AM
well right now i have windows 8.1 im getting 10 once it lets me download it. but yeah ill miss the tile screen but hey i hear that windows ten will let you play xbox games on you PC.

sayum
08-04-2015, 02:49 PM
I was going to upgrade to Windows 10 because, hey, I like new things! But lately I have been concerned about privacy and I have been becoming more aware about laws regarding privacy and copyright. Windows 10 is turning out to be super invasive when it comes to that. They are collecting a lot of unnecessary day, keylogging, and using your habits to predict what you may want in the future. Call me crazy but I would rather my computer not know more about me than I do.

A lot of the privacy options are just that, options. They can be turned off in Windows 10 which is what I did for 8.1 but it still concerns me enough to not want to grab the free upgrade. Difficult to decide though since I will not want to pay for Windows 10 in the future.

Acclivius
08-05-2015, 07:10 PM
I heard from a friend that Sai stopped working once they upgraded to Windows 10, so I'm a bit nervous about trying. I'd rather wait and see what others say. Sai is my main art program.

Vae
08-05-2015, 10:14 PM
I heard from a friend that Sai stopped working once they upgraded to Windows 10, so I'm a bit nervous about trying. I'd rather wait and see what others say. Sai is my main art program.
[link to a fix for Sai not working] (http://kiki-kit.tumblr.com/post/125547006834/how-to-get-sai-working-on-windows-10)

On a related note, my friend's drivers for their tablet stopped working in Win10.
But I don't know what the fix for that is.

Eagle GodHeart
08-06-2015, 08:10 AM
well i just got windows 10 a few days ago..... so far there have been some minor problems... and one major one... but over all its been ok....

Socks the Fox
08-06-2015, 11:42 AM
So far my main problem is that Firefox will occasionally glitch out and go black. Minimizing and restoring the window fixes it, but it's still annoying. Part of that seems to be that they do all the window drawing stuff themselves though, so it's probably all on FF.

I've turned off most of the keylogging/ad/whatever crap, and found a couple of registry edits that make it so Windows will ask you if you want to install updates and restart, instead of just doing it.

Save as `AU.reg` and double-click:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"AUOptions"=dword:00000003
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

First one says "ask before installing" and the second one says "no reboot pls."

Delta
08-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Okay, so I did the upgrade myself and could talk about it, being a guy who's trained in IT and stuff

Personally I like Windows 10. It appears to be less buggy than Windows 8 at launch, which is good.

There's the problems of Wifi Sense (the sharing thing) and some other privacy things, but those were in Windows 8/8.1 as well and could be disabled there.

Cortana, imo, is kinda fishy, seeing as it uses your Microsoft account to do things, which may or may not lead to spam. (I don't know this, Belgium doesn't have Cortana built in)

Biggest feature, if you're a gamer, is DX12. I heard it can make games look gorgeous, but as far as I know, there's no games yet using DX12. It has been confirmed numerous times to have increased average FPS in games like World of Warcraft, though, so there's that.

That's all I really know about it. OH, I forgot the built-in Xbox app, which allows OS-level game capture and, to my own experience, doesn't slow down gameplay. It also has that nifty "Record the last X seconds" feature the consoles have too, so that might be helpful. For now, this only appears to work on windowed mode, though. So take that into account.

Noxid
08-08-2015, 11:33 AM
I finally got the upgrade to run myself.
My biggest complaint would be that they don't by default let you style the title bar on a window, and the 1px border on frames makes it almost impossible to tell what the active window is at a glance. You can use a legacy theme file to change it a bit but it's still not perfect
http://i.imgur.com/H7T9Cbc.png
I also don't like that they moved the location of the power button on the home screen (again), but I'll live.

otherwise yeah I mean it seems to work ok. Glad they finally got multiple desktops after all these years.

FurryWurry
08-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Unfortunately, Windows 10 defaults to being spyware. Make sure you go through the Privacy settings and turn off all of the options. If you value your privacy, you also shouldn't use either Cortana or Edge. There are a lot of apologists who say it's no big deal because just about all the tablet and phone vendors are doing it, but I think that's being irresponsible.

In most cases the upgrade procedure can upgrade a fully patched Win7 SP1 or 8.1 with no problems at all, although it does download over 1GB of patches in addition to the base upgrade files.

On my computer it invalidated the previous disk search cache and had to rebuild it from scratch. While that's running, all disk accesses are *very* slow. If you have many files, it could take several hours to re-index everything, as it did on mine. Of course, if you do a clean install, there's not much to index, so you probably wouldn't notice that happening.

A clean install, wiping out all your files, can only be done after you've done an upgrade and the activation procedure has successfully registered your computer with Microsoft's servers. Otherwise you need a Windows 10 product key: your old Win7 or Win8 key is not valid for Win10.

Nvidia's GeForce Win10 graphics driver still has some issues, which might be the cause of some other slowdowns. Its discussion forum is 81 pages already, so you might want to skip to the end.

See https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/860152/official-windows-10-353-62-game-ready-display-driver-feedback-thread-7-29-15-/