PDA

View Full Version : Artists' reactions to tagging have become ridiculous

Irbisgreif
07-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Seriously, if you have two tags, one 'x' and one 'y', and the art contains 'x_y' (meaning it's clear that the artist didn't underscore a tag), and a fan of your work adds 'x_y' to the tags, it's damn insane to both reverse that and immediately ignore the person who added it.

Artists have become real dramalamas about having absolute control of their tags, which is pretty crappy since Weasyl could've had a great tagging system like e621. Instead, each artist's personal opinions about what is 'proper' to tag makes searching for anything on Weasyl a real pain.

This isn't so much a suggestion for the site (ain't much that the admins can do about this except to make tagging anonymous unless abuse is reported, which I'm sure would cause a riot among the artists who love to be insane about their tagging) but it is a suggestion to artists on Weasyl to be more reasonable about how you react to someone tagging your work. There's a difference between abusively modifying your tags and tagging what is in the image. (and that you clearly intended to be part of the image)

TL;DR: Don't be such pricks about your tags.

DrunkCat
07-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Can't there just be "artist tags" and "community tags"? So each piece has two sets of tags, one by the artist and another by the community.

Irbisgreif
07-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Can't there just be "artist tags" and "community tags"? So each piece has two sets of tags, one by the artist and another by the community.

I don't know, something like that would be nice but apparently some artists just can't handle that.

I'm just annoyed that my efforts to make art I liked easier to find have led me to be unable to fav or follow artists I liked. (emphasis on the past tense there.)

Taw
07-08-2015, 02:33 PM

We already have this feature on Weasyl actually. White tags on a submission are ones that were added by the community. Green or Red are Artist Tags. Green means you can edit it, red means you can't.

First one allows people to edit the artist added tags, second screenshot I turned on the setting to not allow anyone to change my tags.
http://i.imgur.com/ZRmhn1L.png
http://i.imgur.com/IeJwBff.png

DrunkCat
07-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Man you guys are dabes.

The reason I suggested the division is so that the artist doesn't actually have full control over the tags (specifically the community/white ones). The biggest issue though would be the added labor in policing the community tags.

Irbisgreif
07-08-2015, 03:13 PM
That's good, but it doesn't really change that some artists go crazy if you change the tags on their work in any way. Like, you can add an obvious tag and they'll still throw a fit.

Uluri
07-08-2015, 08:06 PM
I think the issue is more of Tagging Awareness rather than the ability to tag.
People don't often know too much about tags. It's also a little less known here
that the search system only searches via tags, so that can also be a reason.

You can't predict much how people will react to tags being added.
People who don't want tagging help exist. It's their choice to refuse help as much as it is is their choice to accept help.

PlayPossum
07-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Maybe requiring mod (or anonymous peers') approval for deleting tags?
At least the abuse then will happen only on the tagger's side, which is punishable anyway.
And I don't see such a big loss in having my work tagged triple_butt for 24 hours. Actually, it might even bring a couple triplebutters to my page.

Umbra_Exe
07-08-2015, 09:16 PM
We already have this feature on Weasyl actually. White tags on a submission are ones that were added by the community. Green or Red are Artist Tags. Green means you can edit it, red means you can't.

First one allows people to edit the artist added tags, second screenshot I turned on the setting to not allow anyone to change my tags.
http://i.imgur.com/ZRmhn1L.png
http://i.imgur.com/IeJwBff.png

I had just noticed this recently and was quite pleased. :> I remembered seeing that as a suggestion in an older thread, it's nice to see that it's been implemented already.

As for people being controlling over their tags, it's odd to me that these users don't disable changes to their tags, if it bothers them that much. I for one, keep changes enabled. If someone adds some tags to help others find my work, great!

Noxid
07-08-2015, 09:23 PM
You can't prevent others from adding tags to your images, only from removing tags that you've made.
Anyway, I can relate to the sentiment of the OP. Tags help everyone, especially when it comes to blacklist material. But artists are silly.

Umbra_Exe
07-08-2015, 09:29 PM
You can't prevent others from adding tags to your images, only from removing tags that you've made.

Ah, I see... My bad.
It would be nice to have that option though, for people who are picky about their tags.

I didn't even think about the blacklist option, so there's another plus to enabling tag editing. For artists who worry about their stuff getting less views due to blacklist tags... Well, the people who are blocking that stuff didn't want to see it anyway. :b (And the same tags could still be helpful to those who DO want to see that content.)

BlueJaySF
07-08-2015, 09:55 PM
You can't prevent others from adding tags to your images

Unfortunately.

Bornes
07-09-2015, 01:29 AM
So why not just make it so there is an option for artists to prevent users from adding OR modifying tags on artist's content? Then nearly everyone could be happy.

PlayPossum
07-09-2015, 01:39 AM
So why not just make it so there is an option for artists to prevent users from adding OR modifying tags on artist's content? Then nearly everyone could be happy.
In this case I find community tag pointless.

Why wouldn't you want people tagging your picture with its contents? It's helping more people find you.
(Just to make it clear, "you" is being used in a general sense, not YOU you.)

Irbisgreif
Anyway, I can relate to the sentiment of the OP. Tags help everyone, especially when it comes to blacklist material. But artists are silly.

I hadn't even thought of blacklists. I was tagging things I wanted too see in art I liked, but now that you mention that, it doesn't just seem silly, it seems almost abusive for artists to go nuts over and remove tags/taggers without any kind of oversight. Some people really don't wanna see certain things and artists can basically make in impossible to filter by doing that.

Noxid

But if that were an option then someone could upload something I have blacklisted and rather than being able to tag it myself and move on, my options are to see it on the front page / in my search results, or report them for not tagging shit, or personally bitch them out, none of which are really ideal.

Bornes
07-09-2015, 01:44 AM

Why wouldn't you want people tagging your picture with its contents? It's helping more people find you.
I would like to think that the majority of artists agree with you, but in the case of ridiculous artists, is it not better to give them what they want over people being blocked for stupid reasons like tags?

But if that were an option then someone could upload something I have blacklisted and rather than being able to tag it myself and move on, my options are to see it on the front page / in my search results, or report them for not tagging shit, or personally bitch them out, none of which are really ideal.
Fair enough, but then what about artists who block you for adding a tag? Then the situation is potentially worse.

Noxid
07-09-2015, 01:53 AM
Fair enough, but then what about artists who block you for adding a tag? Then the situation is potentially worse.

Being blocked doesn't hurt my feelings any, and at that point I would not feel much remorse for escalating to staff since I don't really think that's a reasonable response to me tagging an image with something that is in that image. As well:

uploaders removing relevant tags without good reason may be subject to moderation.

PlayPossum
07-09-2015, 01:59 AM
I would like to think that the majority of artists agree with you, but in the case of ridiculous artists, is it not better to give them what they want over people being blocked for stupid reasons like tags?

In this case, the abuse is being done by the artist, discouraging correctly applied tags and indirectly making their art misleading (which is against the rules, I believe).
Then reporting the attitude would be justified.

But to avoid the need to have things deleted/blocked before remedying it, I suggested back there to lock tag deletion and only exclude them after some kind of peer-review or mod approval.

Or keep the process as is, but, like Irbis suggested, make it anonymous for regular users so they can't retaliate the tagger. Users are notified if their tags are removed/edited, right?

Gamedog
07-09-2015, 02:21 AM
OP, I don't understand. Can you please give an example using X, Y, and X_Y?

Bornes
07-09-2015, 02:51 AM
Or keep the process as is, but, like Irbis suggested, make it anonymous for regular users so they can't retaliate the tagger. Users are notified if their tags are removed/edited, right?

I missed this and I think this might be the best course of action. As you are correct, you get notified of who modifies what tags.

ganache
07-09-2015, 04:05 AM

On my end, I'm in the minority where some of my work I just don't want readily found through tags (can't help myself, I get uneasy thinking about the exposure, and post mostly for archival reasons to begin with I guess??). But I understand the necessity and value of tagging as much as possible, so I'm always torn on this issue. It's to a point there's a lot I just haven't uploaded knowing the tags it'd require (or potentially receive).

My dream rn re: this tagging system is really to have a way to keep my stuff unsearchable (ultra bonus if I could chose by tag, whoa!!), without the expense of potential blacklists not working because I was too chicken to include something.

Umbra_Exe
07-09-2015, 05:09 AM
Seriously, if you have two tags, one 'x' and one 'y', and the art contains 'x_y' (meaning it's clear that the artist didn't underscore a tag), and a fan of your work adds 'x_y' to the tags, it's damn insane to both reverse that and immediately ignore the person who added it.

OP, I don't understand. Can you please give an example using X, Y, and X_Y?
I think I get what OP means.
If a user has, say, a drawing of a Pit Bull, but tags it as "Pit" and "Bull", the piece might benefit from being tagged "Pit_Bull".
If another user adds the "Pit_Bull" tag, but the artist removes it, it seems a bit counterproductive.
(I hope I'm getting this correctly.)

I tend to see this when the artist is trying to tag something with a phrase or title. for example, a tag like "The_Princess_Bride" gets chopped up into "Bride," "Princess," and "The" if underscores are not added, making the piece only show up in searches for, well, princesses and brides. (And "the". Not sure how many users search for that though. :b)

Gamedog
07-09-2015, 08:20 AM
OH!!! I understand now. I agree, that would be so counter-productive to put those tags as seperate words.

Thanks!

Noxid
07-09-2015, 09:47 AM
I missed this and I think this might be the best course of action. As you are correct, you get notified of who modifies what tags.

It's a nice idea but I can see some potential issues with that in that it enables anonymous harassment, because if you can't see who's tagged 40 things of yours with [slur of your choosing] then how do you properly report it?
Not that I'm saying it's a problem here but it could happen.

Reading ganache's post, it might be a reasonable compromise to have a setting that allows certain folders to be omitted from search results; doing it on a tag-by-tag basis might be an undue amount of work both in implementation and user management. There's already an option to have them not appear on the front page.

piņardilla
07-09-2015, 10:12 AM
On my end, I'm in the minority where some of my work I just don't want readily found through tags (can't help myself, I get uneasy thinking about the exposure, and post mostly for archival reasons to begin with I guess??). But I understand the necessity and value of tagging as much as possible, so I'm always torn on this issue. It's to a point there's a lot I just haven't uploaded knowing the tags it'd require (or potentially receive).

My dream rn re: this tagging system is really to have a way to keep my stuff unsearchable (ultra bonus if I could chose by tag, whoa!!), without the expense of potential blacklists not working because I was too chicken to include something.

Hi, ganache. Might the "Friends Only" feature serve your needs?

It's a nice idea but I can see some potential issues with that in that it enables anonymous harassment, because if you can't see who's tagged 40 things of yours with [slur of your choosing] then how do you properly report it?
Not that I'm saying it's a problem here but it could happen.

Tag edit history is visible to moderators, and would stay that way. Reporting would work essentially the same – file a ticket on your own submission, point out the abusive tags in the comment field, and we could look it up and take care of it.

Irbisgreif
07-09-2015, 10:13 AM
I think I get what OP means.
If a user has, say, a drawing of a Pit Bull, but tags it as "Pit" and "Bull", the piece might benefit from being tagged "Pit_Bull".
If another user adds the "Pit_Bull" tag, but the artist removes it, it seems a bit counterproductive.

This was pretty much the exact situation.

uploaders removing relevant tags without good reason may be subject to moderation.

You know, I didn't think I could've reported what happened, but I figure that's a good idea actually. I'd not even thought about blacklists.

ganache
07-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Hi, ganache. Might the "Friends Only" feature serve your needs?.

I'm not sure. It wouldn't allow me to link these submissions to anyone who isn't added, I'm assuming? Like when I'm offsite and want to link a reference that's here. It's not so much that I never want anyone to [I]see things I submit as it is it getting grouped with particular content is a turnoff for me, even if I've produced it myself and will probably see it buried by time anyway........

Reading ganache's post, it might be a reasonable compromise to have a setting that allows certain folders to be omitted from search results; doing it on a tag-by-tag basis might be an undue amount of work both in implementation and user management. There's already an option to have them not appear on the front page.

Can I ask what this front page option is? It's escaping me - though I'm still thinking of Browsing in general so it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I forget about the time involved in tagging to begin with, though - so this a good point and I like your idea better, actually! It sounds way simpler to implement and use.

Gamedog
07-09-2015, 11:09 AM
You know, I didn't think I could've reported what happened, but I figure that's a good idea actually. I'd not even thought about blacklists.

I've actually reported something like this once and it was handled. The artist in question was uploading gibberish tags. I wanted to know what was in the image, but couldn't because they put no info anywhere. So I was sitting here trying to Google and decode what the hell "gsdfsh" or whatever means. :/

Noxid
07-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Tag edit history is visible to moderators, and would stay that way. Reporting would work essentially the same – file a ticket on your own submission, point out the abusive tags in the comment field, and we could look it up and take care of it.

Well, I guess that could work, although it does seem a bit counter-intuitive to report your own submission :p
Still I doubt it would happen often if ever so as long as there's /some/ avenue for action against it.

Irbisgreif
07-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Well, I guess that could work, although it does seem a bit counter-intuitive to report your own submission :p
Still I doubt it would happen often if ever so as long as there's /some/ avenue for action against it.

Oh, I'm sure it would happen, probably a bit, but that's the problem with internet stuff. People are dicks.

DrunkCat
07-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Reporting should go both ways. i.e. an artist uses tags that are inappropriate, a community member adds tags that are incorrect.

Irbisgreif
07-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Reporting should go both ways. i.e. an artist uses tags that are inappropriate, a community member adds tags that are incorrect.

Naturally. Perhaps over time artists can learn proper tagging (or at least, not flipping out at the addition of a reasonable and proper tag) and those who use tags abusively can be located and rooted out of the community (or at least lose their tagging privileges).

The current system doesn't really engender that, though.

DrunkCat
07-09-2015, 09:58 PM
How about changing the system to simply disallow artists from touching community tags. If there's one the artist finds problematic then they can report it.

Onnes
07-09-2015, 10:13 PM
It definitely seems like full submitter control over tags is at odds with the goal of having an active community tagging system. If people think that any tags they add will be summarily deleted, or even get them blocked, then they probably won't bother to try adding tags in the first place. If you want comprehensive, accurate tags then you'll probably have to actually prioritize that over other concerns.

KajTaotsu
07-10-2015, 02:05 AM
How about changing the system to simply disallow artists from touching community tags. If there's one the artist finds problematic then they can report it.

only problem I can see with that is if a viewing user abuses the tags on an artist's entire gallery, it'd just end up being much more work for the admins to have to go through and clearing out the mess.

piņardilla
07-10-2015, 07:58 AM
I'm not sure. It wouldn't allow me to link these submissions to anyone who isn't added, I'm assuming? Like when I'm offsite and want to link a reference that's here. It's not so much that I never want anyone to [I]see things I submit as it is it getting grouped with particular content is a turnoff for me, even if I've produced it myself and will probably see it buried by time anyway........

They couldn't view the submission page, or do any of the things doable on the submission page (fave, comment, etc.). But if you just want to be able to link references, direct image links will still function.

I'll be honest, what you're suggesting as a solution seems like it would be difficult to implement and have very few use cases, so I'm trying to find a more general solution that still fixes your problem.

Can I ask what this front page option is? It's escaping me - though I'm still thinking of Browsing in general so it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I forget about the time involved in tagging to begin with, though - so this a good point and I like your idea better, actually! It sounds way simpler to implement and use.

You can create a folder and set a folder option that nothing uploaded to it will appear on the front page. It's intended for designating a 'scraps' folder, but there's no restrictions on how you choose to actually use it.

Expanding that option to be able to hide it from searches too seems reasonable to me. I'll float the idea past other staff.

DrunkCat
07-10-2015, 11:25 AM
only problem I can see with that is if a viewing user abuses the tags on an artist's entire gallery, it'd just end up being much more work for the admins to have to go through and clearing out the mess.

The biggest issue though would be the added labor in policing the community tags.

Yup. Though doing something like that is just begging for a ban (and can be resolved wholesale by just removing all tags created by that user on an artist).

ganache
07-10-2015, 05:05 PM
You can create a folder and set a folder option that nothing uploaded to it will appear on the front page. It's intended for designating a 'scraps' folder, but there's no restrictions on how you choose to actually use it.

Expanding that option to be able to hide it from searches too seems reasonable to me. I'll float the idea past other staff.

I'm really glad to have that feature pointed out again actually, because I didn't realize "Will not appear on your profile page or your submissions page" was an option in addition to that - this is very close and very good so I'll take it for now. o:

And thank you for forwarding my search concern, still! Just hoping this didn't veer too off-topic here now, whoops.

taasla
08-11-2015, 06:58 PM
My main issue with allowing randoms to tag my work is that they tag it with a fetish that the image isn't even. I am speaking specifically for the people who tag "futa" or other such porn slurs on trans* images. I want nothing to do with your fetish; quit tagging my work with it.

DodgerGreywing
08-11-2015, 07:10 PM
My main issue with allowing randoms to tag my work is that they tag it with a fetish that the image isn't even. I am speaking specifically for the people who tag "futa" or other such porn slurs on trans* images. I want nothing to do with your fetish; quit tagging my work with it.

This is where I stand. I had a lot of hope for Weasyl, but unless they let artists disallow community tagging, I will be staying with FA until it burns to the ground, and only keep Weasyl as a tiny side gallery.

Random people don't get to mislabel MY ART. It's mine, I own the rights to it. I shouldn't have to undertake a bunch of extra steps just to get it displayed correctly.

Oly
08-11-2015, 08:43 PM

Did you report them?

Uluri
08-14-2015, 10:44 AM
How about an "Approve this Tag* system for artists to click yes/no in adding a tag that people have suggested?

Oly
08-14-2015, 10:49 AM
How about an "Approve this Tag* system for artists to click yes/no in adding a tag that people have suggested?

A good idea!

You could also maybe have a toggle, if you set it on you get to approve all tags before they appear, or you can disable it and let anyone tag your shit up.

DrunkCat
08-14-2015, 11:07 AM

It's still giving artists absolute control over their art. The real question is whether that's what should be done, considering they can easily just spam "safe" tags all over their erotica. Little Big Planet had a community driven tag system and in general it worked fabulously.

Swanda
08-14-2015, 12:29 PM
The real question about who should have full rights over the tags and who shouldn't is this: Is this site meant for artists or not?
If you wanna remove the artists absolute control over tags by standard (and not just after abusing the system) then the answer is No.

Yes this system works fine on many other platforms, but the reality of those platforms also is that they are meant for watchers first and creators second.

Noxid
08-14-2015, 01:17 PM
I think opting for approval-required tags wouldn't be a /bad/ idea
I'd have it off by default so community tagging doesn't put work on the artist, but for those who are sensitive about their tags it might help them manage their own work.
It's not like people would use it to actively abuse the system.

I think something like LBP is different because here there's adult work and situations like taasla brings up are a good example of that (although if someone is consistently tagging your stuff incorrectly and it bothers you I think maybe asking them to stop or reporting it might be a good idea)

DrunkCat
08-14-2015, 01:29 PM
I'd have it off by default so community tagging doesn't put work on the artist, but for those who are sensitive about their tags it might help them manage their own work.

That's a pretty good idea. Regardless of extremes, I think the best situation is one where there are two distinct tag sets (i.e. artist/community) so having the "community" set be optional seems like a good compromise. Those artists who wish for more exposure can allow for community tags, and those who'd want to have strict control can turn it off.

Swanda
08-14-2015, 02:07 PM
You could also, if you really want to make it complicated, make hidden tags.
Tags that aren't visible to anyone but the artist, and won't show up in search, but will be picked up by the blocking filter.
So as things can be tagged as something people don't want to see, but also not attract views from something the artist doesn't want their art associated with.

And it works with the artist approval of added tags thing suggested. Tags added by the community would be invisible until approved (or not) by the artist.
So that if it's tagged by someone who are blacklisting the tag, the submission will disappear from their view instantly, while the tag won't be visible on the submission itself or in search results before the artist approves the tag (or sends it to invisible for good.)

blufawx
08-18-2015, 04:44 PM
my concern is that it gives too much power to the non-artist community.

I know what my work should be tagged, not you.

Bloodhound
08-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Oh, this is exactly what I just pitched on the other thread! Seems like a great idea to me :)

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to include Swanda's post right there, about hidden tags.

blufawx
08-18-2015, 08:39 PM
It's still giving artists absolute control over their art.

and that's bad, why?

Why do you hate artists having control over their art? Did they not make it?

Swanda
08-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Oh, this is exactly what I just pitched on the other thread! Seems like a great idea to me :)

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to include Swanda's post right there, about hidden tags.

I also added my hidden tags idea to the other thread! :D

Heuvadoches
08-18-2015, 09:34 PM
I just want a way for accurate tags to be added when the artist doesn't think about it so my "I really don't want my eyes to bleed, thank you" filter catches it.

People make mistakes, I get that ... but I shouldn't have to suffer needlessly.

Artists that get all 20 flavours of emo and kick/ban someone from adding an ACCURATE tag to the image should be admonished.

blufawx
08-18-2015, 09:41 PM
I just want a way for accurate tags to be added when the artist doesn't think about it so my "I really don't want my eyes to bleed, thank you" filter catches it.

People make mistakes, I get that ... but I shouldn't have to suffer needlessly.

Artists that get all 20 flavours of emo and kick/ban someone from adding an ACCURATE tag to the image should be admonished.

Then go ahead and admonish me now.

On all pieces of my art/stories from now on:

anyone adding tags will have the tags deleted and the user will be blocked. this is my content, not yours.

at least twice on the submission.

Swanda
08-18-2015, 09:52 PM
pthnrgrrl - I'm pretty sure that would be against the rules tho : )

blufawx
08-18-2015, 10:30 PM
pthnrgrrl - I'm pretty sure that would be against the rules tho : )

I have you on unignore but i figured this would be about me so I thought I'd read it.

I've been through both the community policy and the TOS, nope nothing about saying "don't edit my tags or i'll block you."

I gave fair warning.

But hey, i get it. you don't like me, so you'll look for trouble.

Cool story, bro.

Noxid
08-18-2015, 10:53 PM
I've been through both the community policy and the TOS, nope nothing about saying "don't edit my tags or i'll block you."

well there's nothing saying you can't block people or tell people you're going to block them, but section I.B.2 of the community guidelines (https://www.weasyl.com/policy/community) does currently state the following:

[...]

Swanda
08-18-2015, 10:55 PM
I infact have nothing against you.
Simply informing you that I think it's been mentioned somewhere before, that artists removing valid tags consequently is seen as abusing the sites features, and you could possibly get in trouble over it.
And I would rather not see that happening?
I understand that you are Very upset over the community tagging, and I understand your reasons why, but I don't want to see you getting in trouble over it?
I really don't dislike you at all. The attitude.. yes quite, but I also get where it's coming from so, eh.

---Edit---
Well there you go

well there's nothing saying you can't block people or tell people you're going to block them, but section I.B.2 of the community guidelines (https://www.weasyl.com/policy/community) does currently state the following:

[...]

blufawx
08-18-2015, 11:06 PM

Welp, I might as well take all of my work down again

that's a stupidly subjective rule.

What's a reasonable tag? who decides it's reasonable? I'm the creator, if I can't decide something is reasonable then what's the point of even posting anything?

Same thing with "relevant"

you may think a tag is relevant, I the creator of the piece does not. naturally, because you're staff with an agenda you'll think it's relevant. which means I'm SOL because staff favor the taggers not the creators.

Socks the Fox
08-19-2015, 01:35 AM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out?

dischimera
08-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Pixiv has had this for a while. I didn't even notice it wasn't already a thing, to be honest.

Frank LeRenard
08-19-2015, 11:24 PM
Apologies, but I'm going to ask everyone to continue this discussion in the following thread to avoid redundancy:
https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?7738-Community-Tagging-Overview

Thanks.