PDA

View Full Version : 1,000,000 Submissions / Community and Ratings Guideline Changes

Fiz
06-26-2015, 02:57 PM
1,000,000 submissions! Hey again, Weasyl users. We hope you’ve been well. We know you’ve been busy. We’ve seen it. We have numbers to tell us. On June 8th, the 1,000,000th submission in Weasyl’s history was posted. It’s amazing to be a part of such an active and creative community, and we hope as staff to make the necessary improvements to allow and encourage this growing level of activity. We can’t thank each of you enough.

Ratings and Community Guidelines: In celebration of (or in coincidence with) this milestone, we’ve decided to make a few amendments and additions to our Community and Ratings Guidelines. These mostly serve as clarifications of our original rules, so there is no comprehensive overhaul to be wary of. However, we will summarize points of alteration here. It’d be best to go read these sections to see the exact wording and how it relates to your work.

In the Community Guidelines (https://www.weasyl.com/policy/community), we’ve made some clarifications to content ownership, submissions involving use of actual blood, use of ‘Critique Wanted’, admissible audio submissions, and others.

In Ratings Guidelines (https://www.weasyl.com/help/ratings), the General and Moderate categories have had clarifications made to their sections on Nudity and Violence, and Nudity and Sexual Situations, respectively. The most significant change is to our Nudity criteria, where we’ve moved to a “compositional focus” metric. We’ve also added discussion of lactation and how it should be rated outside of situations of feeding infants.

All changes made to both our ratings and community guidelines can be viewed at the links below, highlighted for your convenience:
https://www.weasyl.com/policy/community/changes
https://www.weasyl.com/help/ratings/changes

We recommend people read these adjustments themselves. We do attempt to keep these guidelines as a compromise among what we can in good will enforce, what the community wants, and what can best delineate grayer areas. If you have any questions, concerns, or ideas on how to make these rules better, please let us know here. We intend to continue revisions to problematic areas, and one of the best ways to know what’s amiss is feedback from all of you.

Have a good weekend, and thank you all once again!

SpikedKanine
06-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Oh hey cool!
You guys hit that milestone on my birthday! [:

Also I kinda want to hear the response to XoPachi's question. o:

piñardilla
06-28-2015, 11:10 PM
No problems, just making sure I have this right.

Minors in Sexual/Mature Situations: Submissions and other uploaded content must not contain characters who are or are depicted as being under the age of eighteen present in sexual situations, whether or not they are directly involved.

So a few cliche situations I've thought.

So let's say we have a drawing of a 30 year old-ish woman with her similar aged husband gettin it in. And in the background shows their 10 year old son "walks in" on them shocked that his parents engage in such loathsome debauchery.

Another scenario for the exhibitionist appreciators. Two adults are making love outside...in public. We see in the back outraged bystanders including a mother/father shielding their son/daughter's virgin eyes.

Last, we have the untrustworthy 18 year old babysitter who invites her boyfriend over to the "sittee's" home when the coast is clear to do the nasty. And let's say the kid is drawn coming downstairs and catches them.

Assume all children would be unsexualized, fully dressed, and don't appear to be aroused with no clear intention to follow up the illustration with any of that changing. Just...confused and shocked bystanders. I have seen all three of these scenarios on other sites and I just want to know if these and anything similar would be removed under the new amendment to the guideline.

All of these would be removed. We decided that this was just too much of a can of worms to leave open. It's essentially equivalent to flashing kids, which is something I don't think many would be comfortable with being portrayed as something done intentionally.

It would be difficult for us to police how apparently intentional or accidental sexual exposure to children really is. Add in that there really are no accidents in art, and if there's a kid walking in on other characters getting it on, it's because the artist willfully drew them there, and it just becomes a path we really don't want to go down.

LeeLee
06-29-2015, 03:44 AM
Question please! Since I don't think its ever been discussed?
NOTE: Breast milk will be considered a sexual fluid when present for reasons other than feeding an infant.

Does this also pertain to udders and milk secretion? As in a cow-like creature squishing her udders and "dripping" milk?
Like this
http://i.imgur.com/pb8sELy.png

piñardilla
06-29-2015, 03:56 AM
Question please! Since I don't think its ever been discussed?
NOTE: Breast milk will be considered a sexual fluid when present for reasons other than feeding an infant.

Does this also pertain to udders and milk secretion? As in a cow-like creature squishing her udders and "dripping" milk?
Like this
http://i.imgur.com/pb8sELy.png

It does. The original wording of the new rule just said "lactation" but it got changed last-minute for readability. I'll bring it up to staff that it's too vague now.

LeeLee
06-29-2015, 04:25 AM
It does. The original wording of the new rule just said "lactation" but it got changed last-minute for readability. I'll bring it up to staff that it's too vague now.

Not a problem!
I think if you added something like
"IE "udders dripping" etc" That would be a great help.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR BEING AWESOME

Cybercat
06-30-2015, 11:55 PM
I'm not going to debate the rule / classification changes, but I would like to know why you all decided this was necessary? Were that many people complaining about what was allowed in the General category?

piñardilla
07-01-2015, 03:23 AM
I'm not going to debate the rule / classification changes, but I would like to know why you all decided this was necessary? Were that many people complaining about what was allowed in the General category?

Not just what was allowed, but also what wasn't allowed. Generally, all these changes resulted from staff discussions stemming from split opinions on how something should be rated, or when the guidelines as written seemed too harsh or lax for a particular ticket. We take those seriously, because it's important that we're judging consistently without being arbitrary so that our users feel they're being treated fairly by the process.

Regarding the divide between General and Moderate, the previous guidelines tried to measure sexually titillating art with objective metrics of revealing clothing and anatomical detail. That ended up being a challenge, because completely innocent anthro characters are generally clothing-optional, and ref sheets in particular are usually well-detailed nudes out of necessity of their function. There were too many cases where the guideline as written seemed to be us pushing away from the rating that actually seemed appropriate. So ultimately we changed the wording to be closer to what we felt was actually driving us to want to rate one way or the other. It's maybe slightly more subjective, but it's also less arbitrary, and it feels like it's improved moderator concurrency so far.

Cybercat
07-01-2015, 06:46 AM
Okay thanks for the update. Wish there was a way to change the settings to our galleries faster than doing it one by one. :(

Not just what was allowed, but also what wasn't allowed. Generally, all these changes resulted from staff discussions stemming from split opinions on how something should be rated, or when the guidelines as written seemed too harsh or lax for a particular ticket. We take those seriously, because it's important that we're judging consistently without being arbitrary so that our users feel they're being treated fairly by the process.

Regarding the divide between General and Moderate, the previous guidelines tried to measure sexually titillating art with objective metrics of revealing clothing and anatomical detail. That ended up being a challenge, because completely innocent anthro characters are generally clothing-optional, and ref sheets in particular are usually well-detailed nudes out of necessity of their function. There were too many cases where the guideline as written seemed to be us pushing away from the rating that actually seemed appropriate. So ultimately we changed the wording to be closer to what we felt was actually driving us to want to rate one way or the other. It's maybe slightly more subjective, but it's also less arbitrary, and it feels like it's improved moderator concurrency so far.

Platinum Aurora
01-12-2017, 06:23 AM
Hello I need some help

Taw
01-15-2017, 10:01 PM
Hello I need some help

Hi!

Can you please let me know what you need help with? Depending on the request, I can help directly with questions, but for account issues and such you will need to contact our support inbox, at support@weasyl.com