PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea where this goes, buuuut...

Softfang
06-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Sorry, I suck at forums.

Anyway, I was wondering, are base edits/dolls allowed on Weasyl? I keep hearing mixed things from different people. I was just curious.

Also, um... is there a way to prevent your own art from showing up on the front page?

-Softy

Umbra_Exe
06-08-2015, 12:35 AM
This question might go under Site Discussion, but I'm not sure either.

I'm not sure if dolls/base edits are allowed here, but I'm guessing that they are. I haven't seen anything against it specifically.

And yes, you can prevent your art from showing up on the front page.
Hopefully I'm remembering this correctly...

First, create a folder if you don't have one already (Settings>Preferences>Submission Folders>Create Folder).
Then, in that same page, click the folder you just created (or an existing one). There should be a few checkbox options.

One of these options is "Submissions inside this folder: Will not appear on Weasyl's front page". Check that one, of course.

After that, just remember to submit your art to that folder, and it won't appear on the front page. Afterwards, I think you can move those submissions out of that folder to another one, without them showing up on the front page, if you wanted to organize them. Of course, you could set that option on more or all of your folders if you'd like to do it that way, too.

Tiger
06-09-2015, 06:58 PM
Moved to Site Discussion.

So the term "doll" is a bit vague. Are the images made solely with a character generator? If so, they're prohibited under category I.C.7 of our Community Guidelines. However, do the images contain original content made by yourself with additional content made by another person? Then they're fine, so long as you properly cite the original creator(s) of the content you did not make and also cite proof that you have their permission to re-post their content on Weasyl.

And Umbra is right about the folder options to choose which submissions do not appear on the front page.

TwiilightEssence
06-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Moved to Site Discussion.

So the term "doll" is a bit vague. Are the images made solely with a character generator? If so, they're prohibited under category I.C.7 of our Community Guidelines. However, do the images contain original content made by yourself with additional content made by another person? Then they're fine, so long as you properly cite the original creator(s) of the content you did not make and also cite proof that you have their permission to re-post their content on Weasyl.

And Umbra is right about the folder options to choose which submissions do not appear on the front page.

Doll is a word for base edit. A base is a blank template/lineart that others can use to draw there characters. Or as the term says. Doll them. People make them mainly for free use as long as they receive credit for the original base.

piņardilla
06-10-2015, 03:46 AM
Essentially, there are two conditions a submission has to meet:

1. It must contain a significant contribution of original content made either by you or for you (and if "for you", we strongly recommend that you use the Collections feature instead).

2. For any content that is not original, you must credit the source, and either cite permission to use it or abide by Fair Use.

"Dress-up doll" character generators don't meet the first condition, because none of the art assets are original content; the user is merely arranging them. If you are drawing your own original content over a template, that's fine as long as you credit the source of the template and have permission to use it this way.

Socks the Fox
06-10-2015, 01:50 PM
So, to put it clearly, a user coloring in a template is okay (as long as the original artist is okay with it, and credited) but arranging precolored template parts is not?

Tiger
06-10-2015, 09:16 PM
So, to put it clearly, a user coloring in a template is okay (as long as the original artist is okay with it, and credited) but arranging precolored template parts is not?

Yes, if it is a properly credited template with permission provided from the original artist and has had original content added by yourself then you can post it. If it's all pre-made and you just arranged the pre-made parts to make a design, then it's a violation of I.C.7.