PDA

View Full Version : reuploaded character image doesn't refresh

ganache
05-23-2015, 02:40 PM
I've tried twice now and even cleared my site cookies to see what'd happen but no dice...? I'm not sure what else to do since I'd rather avoid deleting the whole thing and starting over.

piņardilla
05-24-2015, 10:44 AM
To clarify, you cleared your cookies, but did you also clear your cache? Try a "hard" refresh (ctrl+F5).

Lagos
05-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Hello, Ganache. Thank you for the bug report.

I've tried twice now and even cleared my site cookies to see what'd happen but no dice...? I'm not sure what else to do since I'd rather avoid deleting the whole thing and starting over.

I believe the issue here is that unlike thumbnails for submissions, thumbnails for a given character are always stored under the same URL. The result is that caching at different levels of the system (such as CDN) don't pick up changes as rapidly as they do thumbnails for submission content. I believe that it will resolve itself after some time, but that time is dependent on the caching policies, possibly on the order of an hour. Can you tell me if the new uploaded image appeared later?

We want to fix this, but the correct way to do so is probably a pretty deep overhaul of how characters are represented on the backend and I don't have a time estimate.

Socks the Fox
05-24-2015, 07:58 PM
@Weasyl programmers: You might also look into using the Cloudflare API for clearing cached files that need to be updated: https://www.cloudflare.com/docs/next/#zone-purge-individual-files

Lagos
05-24-2015, 08:16 PM
It's by no means a bad idea; we haven't looked into such things yet because it means pushing info in the opposite direction across abstraction barriers. The backend being agnostic to the fact that it's being access behind cloudflare is advantageous.

In this instance it's only an issue because an update to a character thumbnail, unlike a submission thumbnail, results in a new file being store at the same URL as an old one.

ganache
05-25-2015, 01:33 AM
I forgot all about cache, whoops - but it's looking okay now without me having to clear it. /o/ For next time, am I getting it right that it just takes waiting it out a bit instead of expecting an instant change?

Lagos
05-31-2015, 05:05 AM
That's correct: It's an issue that's specific to the way character thumbnails are represented on the site. But waiting a little while will work.