PDA

View Full Version : The Wolf Warlock

Iscin
05-16-2015, 02:52 PM
I begun a new series about a warlock who turns into a werewolf and shenanigans happen. It does contain somewhat graphic scenes in some chapters already, though only to serve the story. Not entirely certain on the direction as it is an ongoing 'fly by wire' sort of narrative.

The first three parts are available to read on Weasyl.

Tiamat (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/954882/the-wolf-warlock-tiamat)
Asura (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/957601/the-wolf-warlock-asura)
Sheep's Clothing (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/977052/the-wolf-warlock-sheep-s-clothing)

Unfortunately it is not receiving much attention here on Weasyl, which I understand since my portfolio is still new here. However if my blurb there sounds interesting please check it out and let me know what you think. I am hoping to shape it to be roughly six, maybe seven parts long. Provided there is sufficient interest.

Frank LeRenard
05-17-2015, 10:16 PM
Read this for the heck of it this morning over coffee, so I'll go ahead and comment.

Despite what you're saying here, it read like you at least know generally where it's going. You seem to be intentionally setting up the main character to be fairly unlikeable: power hungry, wants to take the shortcuts without doing the real work, envious and disdainful of his superiors, and with some inferiority complex things going on (his height, and so on). It sounds like at some point he's destined to fail, and the powers that be will be dishing out some form of payment. It's an interesting route to take with a story like this -- a lot more nuanced really than the brief description you gave in your post there (re: shenanigans).

Iscin
05-18-2015, 09:16 AM
Read this for the heck of it this morning over coffee, so I'll go ahead and comment.

Despite what you're saying here, it read like you at least know generally where it's going. You seem to be intentionally setting up the main character to be fairly unlikeable: power hungry, wants to take the shortcuts without doing the real work, envious and disdainful of his superiors, and with some inferiority complex things going on (his height, and so on). It sounds like at some point he's destined to fail, and the powers that be will be dishing out some form of payment. It's an interesting route to take with a story like this -- a lot more nuanced really than the brief description you gave in your post there (re: shenanigans).
Ach, dammit now you've given the plot away!

Yeah, there are themes I've woven in there but the actual ending is still open to going a different way. Red herrings are so insidious. I take it you liked it though?

Frank LeRenard
05-18-2015, 11:31 PM
Yeah, it's not bad. Felt like some of the descriptive passages could be de-emphasized a bit, but I always feel like stuff like that is best fixed in post.

Iscin
05-19-2015, 03:13 PM
Yeah, it's not bad. Felt like some of the descriptive passages could be de-emphasized a bit, but I always feel like stuff like that is best fixed in post.
I have no idea what you mean by that. Are you referring to the "show, don't tell" principle of storytelling?

Frank LeRenard
05-19-2015, 05:50 PM
I have no idea what you mean by that. Are you referring to the "show, don't tell" principle of storytelling?

No, sorry. I just mean it feels like they drag on a little too long.

Iscin
05-19-2015, 06:15 PM
No, sorry. I just mean it feels like they drag on a little too long.
Oh, so you don't like the style. But other than that you enjoyed it?

Frank LeRenard
05-21-2015, 10:44 PM
Yeah, it's not bad.