PDA

View Full Version : Any Players of Trading Card Games?

feraldraco
05-14-2015, 11:36 PM
I myself am very much into Magic: the Gathering, and I have been for 4 years, as I think it provides players with very little limits as to what sorts of spells you would like to have in your mental repertoire. But I'd like to see what other games you think are cool.

pińardilla
05-15-2015, 01:03 AM
I used to be huge into Magic when I was younger. I gave away all my cards to a friend when I moved, except for my rare binder and a couple decks, one of which I still play with when I happen to meet other players. Sadly it can't really compete with the power climb since the cards in it were printed, but it still manages to win sometimes.

Decklist:

Spells Creatures Mana
3 Duress 4 Carnophage 14 Swamp
4 Unearth 4 Sarcomancy 4 Dark Ritual
4 Ghastly Demise 4 Dauthi Horror 1 Lake of the Dead
4 Diabolic Edict 4 Hypnotic Specter
4 Bad Moon 4 Phyrexian Negator
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Yawgmoth's Will

I also picked up Solforge lately, a digital F2P CCG. It's less random and crappy than Hearthstone, but they really need to give low-rarity formats an official queue or something. Haven't really had time to play it much lately beyond collecting dailies though.

Eagle GodHeart
05-15-2015, 10:24 AM
i still have ALOT of my old pokemon cards. and i had some yu-gi-oh cards around here some where.

feraldraco
05-19-2015, 10:55 PM
Quick! Somebody make a furry-themed deck from any card game!

pińardilla
05-19-2015, 11:03 PM
Back in the day, I always ran squirrel decks in M:tG for obvious reasons.

Damian
05-20-2015, 12:45 AM
Quick! Somebody make a furry-themed deck from any card game!

i actually was building a beast/beast warrior deck when I still had my YuGiOh cards...
I still wanna do that.
I just need more YuGiOh cards

Lang
05-26-2015, 12:54 AM
I played pokemon cards and I would still play them if anyone around here did, but everyone only plays magic. Even yugioh is dying out. I still have my pokemon cards. I just can't find the heart to sell them.

Dreamline
05-26-2015, 03:14 AM
Hell yeah! I played Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic The Gathering a lot as a kid, along with my dad and my brother! When we moved out of California and into Colorado, my dad ended up starting a card shop there cause we were so into them. Got to do weekly tournaments for both of them, and overall, it was really cool and fun! (Then we tried expanding it and it didn't work thanks to money-issues, but that's another story)

I still play Yu-Gi-Oh via YGOPro, but very rarely nowadays (I run Different Dimension decks on there, so that's fun!), and I have a MTG deck I have that's a lot of fun! (One deck is Blue/White/Red, focusing on counters, drawing cards/decking out, and stalling thanks to some smexy Platinum Angel and Platinum Emperion. Another deck I have is a Sliver deck with... slivers. Lots of slivers.)

Umbra_Exe
05-27-2015, 03:36 AM
I played pokemon cards and I would still play them if anyone around here did, but everyone only plays magic. Even yugioh is dying out. I still have my pokemon cards. I just can't find the heart to sell them.
I used to collect Pokemon cards, but never had any idea how to play. I just liked being able to collect them all, hehe. I also still have my collection. Someday I hope to actually finish collecting at least one of each of the the original 151 Pokemon... Right now I've got about 8 left, last I checked. I also want a Bisharp and a Mienshao card, since those are currently my favorite Pokemon.

I also used to play Yu-Gi-Oh, but was never all that good at it. Eventually I just started collecting cards with art I liked (I'm seeing a pattern, here...). I still have all those cards, as well.

A lot of people still play Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic: The Gathering at my school. I see people playing outside the Student Life Center at least once a week when I pass by. I think that most of the time they're playing Yu-Gi-Oh, not so much Magic.

pińardilla
05-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Oh, I remember picking up the Pokémon CCG when it was first released, since I was short on Magic players. Back then, there wasn't a restriction on how many Trainer cards you could play in a turn, which was absolutely ridiculous considering how many of them were analogs of Magic cards that ended up on the Banned/Restricted lists for providing ridiculous card advantage.

Bill was a weaker Ancesteral Recall, Professor Oak was a one-sided Wheel of Fortune, Computer Search was Demonic Tutor with a discard cost (trivial with all the other card-drawing), Item Finder was similar but let you Tutor your discard pile for any of these ridiculous Trainers you'd already played, and Blastoise's Pokémon Power was essentially Fastbond. It was literally possible to draw your entire deck on turn 1, and have a fully-charged Blastoise on turn 2 (thanks to Pokémon Breeder letting you skip evolving to Wartortle), which, since I recognized all this, is exactly what I did. :P

Even more ridiculous, not all of those were even rares. Bill was a damn common, and since it provided deck-thinning with no downsides, there was never any reason not to run four of them. Professor Oak at least was an uncommon, but that's still not hard to come by for the ability to get a free hand of seven fresh cards. Oh, and icing on the cake, none of the Pokémon in Base Set 1 had Water-type resistance, and all the Electric-types couldn't hit for more than 10 with just one energy.

I got bored with it because most of my opponents were younger than me and stomping kids got old after a while, even with more casual deck builds. I wonder if these cards held their value the way first-gen Magic cards did? I still have that ridiculous deck.

feraldraco
06-28-2015, 01:01 PM
Yesterday, I just got the cards that I needed to complete this sweet little Magic deck. All I gotta do is keep making little 1/1 Goblins and Elementals and throw them at the opponent's face. Then, when my army has multiplied to about 10 creatures, I finish them off with the head-turning combo of Dragonrage and Biomass Mutation.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ill-throw-everything-ive-got/

Quite an amusing deck if you want your opponent to explode the same way your army does on the final turn.

Haroo Husky
07-30-2015, 07:54 PM
I play Yu-Gi-Oh!, but informally. I used to join in tournaments about, golly... nine years ago? I fell out of the series because all the card shops I used to go to left my state, and the tournaments went with it. Sure, they still have regionals somewhere, but you can't even use your own deck in 'em, so...

I stick with YGO video games, where you can face-off against the anime characters and whatnot. If I had money (and if there was a CARD shop around) I would love to get back into the game with Synchros, XYZ's and Pendulums with sweet pink card sleeves. But yeah, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

For the record, my favorite card is Neo-Spacian Grand Mole. Ain't he a cutie? :3
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090117053641/yugioh/images/b/bb/NeoSpacianGrandMole-HL07-EN-UPR-UE.png

Umbra_Exe
07-31-2015, 02:52 AM
For the record, my favorite card is Neo-Spacian Grand Mole. Ain't he a cutie? :3
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090117053641/yugioh/images/b/bb/NeoSpacianGrandMole-HL07-EN-UPR-UE.png

How funny, one of my favorites was a Neo-Spacian card as well (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070906023459/yugioh/images/7/72/NeoSpacianMarineDolphin-TAEV-EN-C-1E.jpg). XD
Despite that, I never used it, myself. It was just given to me by a friend because I had a weird buff dolphin character at the time, and the card reminded him of that character, haha.

Other than that, I liked Harpy's Brother (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141106201720/yugioh/images/2/2b/SkyScout-AP02-EN-C-UE.png) as well, as far as card art goes. Looking at it now though, I realize those "wings" are terrible!

Haroo Husky
07-31-2015, 11:41 AM
How funny, one of my favorites was a Neo-Spacian card as well (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070906023459/yugioh/images/7/72/NeoSpacianMarineDolphin-TAEV-EN-C-1E.jpg). XD
Despite that, I never used it, myself. It was just given to me by a friend because I had a weird buff dolphin character at the time, and the card reminded him of that character, haha.

Okay, that URL link definitely confused me. Here I thought you liked the Mole as well, but hey, who doesn't like buff dolphins? X3

Other than that, I liked Harpy's Brother (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141106201720/yugioh/images/2/2b/SkyScout-AP02-EN-C-UE.png) as well, as far as card art goes. Looking at it now though, I realize those "wings" are terrible!

I love it how Harpy's Brother was excluded on every Harpie card in existence. They very badly didn't want him to be played at all. :/

Umbra_Exe
07-31-2015, 06:02 PM
Okay, that URL link definitely confused me. Here I thought you liked the Mole as well, but hey, who doesn't like buff dolphins? X3
Whoops, perhaps I should have been more specific then. ^^;
But yes, buff dolphins are great. X3

I love it how Harpy's Brother was excluded on every Harpie card in existence. They very badly didn't want him to be played at all. :/
I remember that I used to try and collect the different Harpy cards for fun, but I really wanted my brother to trade me Harpie's brother. I know now I probably wouldn't have used it anyway. :b

Also, I think that link has it named "Sky Scout". They might have renamed it to avoid confusion with the Harpy cards.

Haroo Husky
07-31-2015, 06:49 PM
Ah no, you were plenty specific! :3 I'm not used to seeing colored hyperlinks; I thought that was just a literal color change. xD

Sky Scout? I wonder if they renamed it. Just think of the mess that would make with all the other different printed cards! Not to mention all of the Harpy cards say in their effect, "except for 'Harpy's Brother'" or "this does not include 'Harpy's Brother.'"

Zero_Zeta
08-26-2015, 04:56 PM
I used to play yugioh with a bunch of friends, it got to the point where I just wasn't having fun with the game anymore so I stopped playing. I currently play force of will, and cardfight vanguard. I play a little mtg but building a blue, white, green commander deck is turning out to be expensive here haha.

Joybit
08-26-2015, 05:52 PM
I've been teaching some of my friends how to play Magi-Nation, which I played a lot when I was roughly twelve. They're willing to learn because it's something they haven't played and the fact that it's dirt cheap to get into due to it being discontinued XD

feraldraco
08-26-2015, 09:09 PM
Hmm. Magi-Nation sounds interesting. Can you post a decklist and what not, just to show off what it's about?

Joybit
08-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Hmm. Magi-Nation sounds interesting. Can you post a decklist and what not, just to show off what it's about?

This site (http://bluefurok.com/) has pretty much everything, from the rules (http://bluefurok.com/NDrulebook.html) to scans (http://bluefurok.com/OfficialCards_index.htm) of the official cards, including some unreleased (http://bluefurok.com/TR_index.htm) cards. It's one of those games that is both simpler and more complex than Magic and can be quite a bit of fun. Technically you can have any amount of players, but my last three-player game went on for about four hours before we just quit because one guy had to go home and my girlfriend was getting too tired XD

WolfNightV4X1
08-30-2015, 01:23 PM
My friends recently picked up a game called "Weiss and Schwarz" and I've played once and its essentially the first card game I've played

rodentia
08-30-2015, 01:55 PM
I just play Magic: The Gathering because I'm boring and haven't heard of all these other card games that I'm sure are a lot of fun.

erzyal
10-01-2015, 01:02 AM
I played yugioh back in the day but after my cards got destroyed in a flood I never bothered picking the game back up. A couple years back I started playing magic the gathering but I work too much to drive two hours to the nearest Friday night magic event. Still got a bunch of the cards but no opponents so they just collect dust.

feraldraco
10-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Hey again! These are more or less the Magic decks that I have in real life. I've made each of them for no more than $50, and I try to keep the normal, 60-card decks I make somewhere at that price or below, with me spending $20-$30 on a good day.

I'll Throw Everything I've Got! (http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ill-throw-everything-ive-got/)

The objective of this one is to bring as many weak, little 1/1 creatures on the battlefield as possible in the hopes that when I make an attack with 6+ creatures, I can use Dragonrage into Biomass Mutation to make my little critters, and therefore my opponent, explode.

A Lesson in Resilience (http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-lesson-in-resilience/)

In contrast to the last deck, this deck is all about being tough enough to withstand all the bullshit that all your opponents will be throwing at you, so that when they're trying to recover, you come back from that, and make a heavier blow that should hopefully finish the job.

Damian
06-19-2016, 12:22 PM
I just started getting in to MtG and so I'm still altering my decks and getting acquainted with how the rules are. My roommate has a landfall deck and I bought two intro decks. I noticed there are transformation cards which are wicked cool and want to base a deck around that.

JessLee
06-27-2016, 10:03 AM
I've played magic: the hathering for a while, now i am playing Hearthstone. It's more casual but still very interesting game with big community. Blizzard made a mircale and makes card games popular again.

feraldraco
06-30-2016, 03:43 AM
Oh, and as of late, I'm also a player of Hearthstone! We could exchange battletags if you'd like someone to chat with and play over there. I buy my packs with gold and grind them all to dust for my card-making needs.

CouchKroc
08-26-2016, 03:32 PM
I've been getting more and more into MtG, because of my friends.
Currently running a Green and Blue deck, I'll probably post a more specific card list a bit later.