PDA

View Full Version : Under appreciated Films

Thestory
10-01-2012, 11:24 PM
This is pretty straight forward. Lets share good films we can watch. However theses shouldn't be just any good films. I want everyone to list movies that either didn't do well, or not enough people know about them.
They don't have to be super obscure and they didn't have to have bombed in the box office either. These should be films that you personally think could still do better and receive more appreciation.

Here is my list for the day.

1. The Iron Giant- I think this has slowly been recognized as a better film over the years but I remember being younger and this gem getting glanced over by fellow kids my age. It just wasn't very popular at the time. This film was directed by Brad Bird one of my favorite directors. Someone closely tied with Pixar and directed both The Incredibles and Ratatouille.

2. Pan'd Labyrinth- Sadly this is overlooked because people don't like reading subtitles. This is one of the few movies that has a young girl as our protagonist and she isn't written terribly. It is unique, fantastical, and beautiful with a historical spin. Check it out if you are a real film appreciator. It is a must see.

3. Stranger than Fiction- Though not a film I would hail as a masterpiece like those above I do believe it is under appreciated. It has a quirky charm and a main character that you can follow happily. I can't put my finger on it but this is a film I keep popping in the player again and again. It may be the mellow tone or the unusual premise. All that matters is that it should be enjoyed.

Now what are films you think are under appreciated?

Oly
10-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Death Proof. I fucking love that movie.

Agreed on Stranger Than Fiction.

And I also don't see a lot of love for I Heart Huckabees around.

Fay V
10-02-2012, 12:03 AM
I have a massive hearton for stranger than fiction. The way it was done was wonderful. it all fit together so well. it made my inner english major squeal. I don't normally like Will Ferrel movies. I find his random "I"M YELLING" style to be a bit off putting, but goodness was it well played in that movie.

Skeleton Key was a good one. It is the only movie on the face of this earth to actually scare me. I'm not afraid of voodoo or hootoo, I'm not really bothered by that stuff in general, but something about that movie, the way it was told, the way it didn't really on cheap surprise tactics. It runs a little dry at the beginning but when you get to the end it's just...wow.

Matt
10-02-2012, 12:20 AM
I feel I'm going to expose something untoward here but:

Clerks
Donnie Darko
High Fidelity
The Wrestler

I love these movies. I think they're under-appreciated, but fuck if I know who appreciates what. I just know that people with whom I'm able to converse on any of these films are people I tend to continue to converse with. I consider that a good sign.

Fay V
10-02-2012, 12:29 AM
I think Donnie Darko was overhyped for me. Not to say it isn't an excellent movie, but too many people treated it like the messiah of films and I just sat there like "yeah...that was neat..."
I dunno maybe I should see it again.

Aetius
10-02-2012, 12:30 AM
There needs to be alot more love for 13 assassins.

Thestory
10-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Nice to know there is love for Stranger than Fiction. Also I believe Will Ferrel does best in this film because he is playing a different character than normal and it is very fitting.

I feel I'm going to expose something untoward here but:

Clerks
Donnie Darko
High Fidelity
The Wrestler

Interesting suggestions. I haven't watched most of these. I do own Donnie Darko however.

Matt
10-02-2012, 01:46 AM
I think Donnie Darko was overhyped for me. Not to say it isn't an excellent movie, but too many people treated it like the messiah of films and I just sat there like "yeah...that was neat..."
I dunno maybe I should see it again.

That's legit. I probably would have been one of those people uiyutyguoi, except "yeah...that was neat..." was my exact reaction to Richard Kelly's next film. It lacked, and it sort of made me doubt that what I saw in Donnie Darko was real and not some manufactured affectation. I've since decided that Southland Tales doesnt exist, Donnie Darko does, and the thought process I've described here never happened. If Donnie Darko is underappreciated, its because what's surrounded drags it down by circumstance.

Interesting suggestions. I haven't watched most of these. I do own Donnie Darko however.

Watch it without expectation. It'd be pretty cool hearing your thoughts in the context of this thread.

Fay V
10-02-2012, 02:54 AM
That's legit. I probably would have been one of those people prophesying on the Jordan, except "yeah...that was neat..." was my exact reaction to Richard Kelly's next film. It lacked, and it sort of made me doubt that what I saw in Donnie Darko was real and not some manufactured affectation. I've since decided that Southland Tales doesnt exist, Donnie Darko does, and the thought process I've described here never happened. If Donnie Darko is underappreciated, its because what's surrounded drags it down by circumstance.

Watch it without expectation. It'd be pretty cool hearing your thoughts in the context of this thread.

Honestly I think you must be willing to suspend some disbelief. I mean in the end it was hard for me to accept some of his choices, which really killed the movie for me because in the end he just wasn't that sympathetic for me. But that doesn't make it a bad movie. it is good for some people, I'm not going to decry it for others.

Here's two really underappreciated movies.
Condor Man-it's an old super hero/spy movie and it is funny as hell. seriously. check it out if you can.

the other is Murder by death. It's a murder mystery making fun of the entire detective genre and it is hilarious. Watch it, just so you can see the actress that played McGonagall say unintended euphemisms about her "dicky"

Ibuuyk
10-02-2012, 09:12 AM
The Convent.

Seriously, that movie is so terrible and so horribly low budget. It's so bad it makes it a must-watch, it's hilariously bad.

Term
10-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Casa de mi Padre is another Ferrel movie that gets lost. Entirely spoken in Spanish, it's a spoof of old spaghetti westerns set in the present where instead of horses people drive SUVs.

12 Angry Men is a classic which takes a minimalist approach to films. Almost entirely filmed in one room, it involves a jury trying to deliberate the fate of a young black man and the one juror who isn't so ready to pass guilt on him.

Speaking of minimalist, Buried starring Ryan Reynolds is one of the best suspense thrillers you'll see in today's era of movies. Completely taking place in a wooden coffin six feet under, Reynolds wakes up and the audience slowly gets to piece together who he is and why he's where he is.

If you're looking for a classic "dude" movie, you can't go wrong withe "The Warriors" from 1979. Featuring a relatively unknown cast, a gang from Coney Island meets at Gramercy Park to discuss a truce between the hundred or so gangs in New York City. The leader of the Gramercy Riffs is assinated, the Warriors are blamed, and they have to fight their way back to Coney Island before the cops and other gangs get to them first. Just an overall fantastic movie.

Ghost
10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
The Phantom and The Shadow were both really good movies.

The Shadow is a bit older but it has a pretty good cast and decent effects budget, and The Phantom is newer and even though its made with a relatively low budget and the cast isn't the best I'd still say if you can find them for free somewhere to check them both out, I believe they are on netflix.

Oly
10-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I like The Warriors. Solid film.

Thestory
10-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Yes I agree Term, 12 Angry Men is a good one too. It's older so most people don't watch it so much anymore. I only watched it for the first time less than a year ago. Good stuff.

Pillowing
10-03-2012, 02:38 AM
I definitely need to check out some of these titles. You guys clearly have great taste since you listed Stranger than Fiction!

To me, a movie I feel doesn't get enough love is 500 Days of Summer.
And another one is Porco Rosso - only never watch the Disney dubbed one! I'm not sure why they dubbed it... They already had an English dubbed version which is perfect the way it is and fits all the characters. I just can't stomach that Disney dubbed one.

AtomiKamikaze
10-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Wow, people who've actually seen 12 Angry Men. And Porco Rosso is awesome, absolutely amazing film. C:

I also liked the original 60s production of The Producers. Most people overlook it now for the new musical one, but the original..I dunno. Nothing beats a high hippie playing Hitler.

Other movies I thought were great were Water for Elephants, Grave of the Fireflies, Leafie: A Hen Into the Wild, and one I thought was pretty great was "Fires on the Plain", which no one prolly heard of this side of the world.

Drifloon
10-07-2012, 11:10 AM
where is the love for transmorphers guys? i think that, ratatoing and the little panda fighter are super underrated classics.

Jaspers
10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
The Plague Dogs for sure.

Larry
10-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Death Proof. I fucking love that movie.

Yes! Finally, someone else who has heard of the movie.

Dogtooth
Amelie
Salo or 120 Days of Sodom
Rubber

All three of those films were certainly not ordinary. I have to say Dogtooth was the weirdest of them all. The story of three kids being kept in the house by their parents all the way through adulthood really brings out some dark, accidental humor, so I enjoyed the film. It's available on Netflix, so go check it out.

Amelie told the most quirkiest, but amazingly cute story about a girl helping people. With it's fast-paced storyline, unexpected humor, and great acting, it's much more exciting than you think, I promise you. You should find it in your local walmart's $5 DVD piles.

Rubber kicked major ass for being all bizarre and unexpected. but that's what you ask for when being a killing tire.

Salo is--- well, definitely not normal at all. With all the content depicted in the movie, it's no surprise that it's banned in several countries since its release in 1975. I would recommend reading the synopsis first before diving in, or watching YouTube reviews. They have parts of the film in English on YouTube as well, but I've seen two uploads of the full movie, though they're not in English.

There's also one obscure movie I want to see: Snow Cake. It's about some dude who makes friends with a mother of autism after a car crash involving him and her daughter.

FoxietheWindragon
10-12-2012, 03:10 PM
12 Angry Men is a classic which takes a minimalist approach to films. Almost entirely filmed in one room, it involves a jury trying to deliberate the fate of a young black man and the one juror who isn't so ready to pass guilt on him.

The 50's and '97 version had the accused as Mexican kids from the slums. Just wanted to clear that up. But yes. The 1957 original of 12 Angry Men is a classic in my book. I'm glad to see someone appreciate this film. Every single actor in that film holds his own and shows just how people should want to act in films. I have it from The Criterion Collection on blu-ray. Worth every single penny. The 1997 version is just infuriatingly bad. Yes, I know. You can say the word "shit". That doesn't make this remake good.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I agree Term, 12 Angry Men is a good one too. It's older so most people don't watch it so much anymore. I only watched it for the first time less than a year ago. Good stuff.

Glad to see someone appreciate this film! It's a classic. <3

exdraghunt
10-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Oh man, I remember watching 12 Angry Men in High School English. Wow, memories.

One movie I think doesn't get enough love is Phantom of the Paradise. It's pretty much Phantom of the Opera meets Rocky Horror Picture Show. It is so WTF it cannot be described. And the soundtrack is amazing.

Also, one of my favorite films, Electra Glide in Blue. It's an old road/motorcycle movie from 1973, and is pretty much the anti-Easy Rider. (which doesn't make it any less meaningful)

Oly
10-14-2012, 08:59 PM
One movie I think doesn't get enough love is Phantom of the Paradise. It's pretty much Phantom of the Opera meets Rocky Horror Picture Show. It is so WTF it cannot be described. And the soundtrack is amazing.

Jhonen Vasquez mentioned Phantom of the Paradise on his tumblr a few months ago and i've wanted to see it ever since.

RORYDESTROYER
10-14-2012, 09:58 PM
really fond of Dogtooth & Riding Bean

in terms of really underappreciated films i feel like Possession (1981) deserves way more of a place at the table re: classic horror films

isabelle adjani absolutely kills it, check out this scene where she goes totally fuckin apeshit, it's not even a very violent scene but her performance is so upsetting (fair warning there) that it's gotten the film banned in the uk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at7E9F6D7EA