View Full Version : Egg

Matt
04-01-2015, 01:48 AM
Hi, Users
We're all pleased to announce
the much awaited overhaul to our thumbnail
system. It's been a long road, and a strong effort for
the last two and a half years, but we feel as though we've
finally hit fertile soil between the layers of format and fashion.
There are many people to thank beside ourselves, but we should
start with ourselves anyway. The most important person is me. Hello.
Hi!!! My name is Matt. I recently bought some eggs and then the rest of
staff decided to take everything way too far. It's sickening how deeply my
trips to Kroger are woven into site design and basic features. It's actually a
little bit offensive. Honestly. I don't even know. Like, I bring up a casual note
about a regular purchase that I had and then suddenly "OMG LOL!!! Matt got
eggs!!! LOL!" I don't get it. I mean, I'm 28 years old. I don't need this. It doesn't
even make a lot of sense. I bought some Dr. Pepper 10, yesterday. Does that
mean we're going to carbonate user galleries? How would that even work???
Can it? Probably not. This site isn't liquid. Not yet anyway. I have plans. Plans
for days. Anyhoo It's also would pointing out that I'm not the only staff member
and everyone else also did something, presumably. I haven't been paying a
whole lot of attention. Wrestlemania was on Sunday and I'm still recovering.
But yeah, good work to the rest of staff. Keep it up. I'd also like to thank our
dev team. Without them there would be no Weasyl. Instead the site would
just be a massive picture of my face. That might be better in a lot of very
important ways, but it's not going to happen, so we're all just going to
have to deal with it, like rational, mature adults somehow. Whatever
Also, I'd like to thank Mr. Bungle for writing the song "Stubb a Dub"
and Horse the Band for writing "Birdo." it mentions eggs a few
times, and that ties in to this announcement because it's all
an egg now. Everything. If you have any questions or
comments, please let us know, but wait a little bit.
It's not that, we don't want to hear from you.
It's just we're all very tired. Thanks,
everyone. Egg.
http://i.imgur.com/YUrAPXH.png

Eggsplanation by Egg (https://www.weasyl.com/~fiz)

Zalcoti
04-01-2015, 01:56 AM
Matt, I almost ruined a keyboard after seeing EGG thumbnails all over Weasyl and thought you guys were going with it....until reading this. PIZZA AND WATER. ALMOST ON MY KEYBOARD. Now I shall bake an egg.

Toshabi
04-01-2015, 02:13 AM
oEpj6m_hooI

Hewge
04-01-2015, 02:31 AM
Eggcellent

Butterflygoddess
04-01-2015, 03:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjYSUVZxkWs

Not a glob!

FlynnCoyote
04-01-2015, 03:39 AM
Egg.

... I don't get it. :v

akitary
04-01-2015, 03:52 AM
This is perfect!
I love the new thumbnails, they really go well with the design of Weasyl!
Worth the wait! A++ for design! yay! :D

- - - Updated - - -

(omg I just noticed the eggs hatch when you click on them! That actually awesome!)

TealMoon
04-01-2015, 03:57 AM
Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs and Eggs.

BD Beardog
04-01-2015, 04:06 AM
Just when I moved in here too...

FlynnCoyote
04-01-2015, 04:06 AM
(omg I just noticed the eggs hatch when you click on them! That actually awesome!)

Hooooleeeeee shiiiit... OwO *breaks all eggs*

Storm
04-01-2015, 04:43 AM
Eggscuse me!

FlynnCoyote
04-01-2015, 06:17 AM
http://www.debugdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/dr-eggman.jpg

Hewge
04-01-2015, 06:23 AM
Am I the only one that noticed "beta" was changed into "omegga" on the mainsite logo? :p

Omegga Weasyl

akitary
04-01-2015, 06:51 AM
should I ask for mental help for repeatedly clicking on Nambroth's submission (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/559361/thunderous-tides), just to see the "hatching of the chicken"?

Fiz
04-01-2015, 07:52 AM
_wubgAIiWpY

Noxid
04-01-2015, 07:56 AM
I'm glad people can finally stop complaining about the thumbnails now and start enjoying the site.
A+ work guys, you really take the time to listen to the community and give us what we need.

Hardrockangel
04-01-2015, 08:15 AM
This thumbnail-change is cracking me up.

watch?v=PNLcwqUOXfQ

Chrysocyon
04-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Well this is unique. xD

I like how if you press the back button, the thumbnail stays hatched, so you can hatch all the eggs on a page.

Iccodypup
04-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Also, I'd like to thank Mr. Bungle for writing the song "Stubb a Dub"

But, Matt, there's a Mr. Bungle song called "Egg". Seems like that deserves thanks too.
But, what do I know... The ways of egg are far beyond me @o@
Egg.

Exindiv
04-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Kinda diggin' the eggs. They frame things rather nicely.
They make my eyes smile.

Agitoho
04-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Am I the only one that noticed "beta" was changed into "omegga" on the mainsite logo? :p

Omegga Weasyl

You are not the only one, good sir/madame.

I just want to say I love this. I love the shape. I love the fact the eggs crack when you click them. I love the fact that you guys just have fun doing this. A part of me is like "This is probably just an April's Fools joke, so it'll be gone tomorrow." but a part of me would not be upset if things just stayed this way.

GreenReaper
04-01-2015, 02:19 PM
It's very cute, but it looks like the eggs broke Weasyl's thumbnail CDN or the scaling system.

Perhaps too many people going back in their submissions to see how they look, overloading the cache?

Blitza
04-01-2015, 02:24 PM
I like it ^^

weykent
04-01-2015, 03:04 PM
It's very cute, but it looks like the eggs broke Weasyl's thumbnail CDN or the scaling system.

Perhaps too many people going back in their submissions to see how they look, overloading the cache?

what

Bornes
04-01-2015, 03:06 PM
The eggs don't crack when you click them in Pale Moon 25.3.1.

But then again I'm probably the only person on this site that uses that browser so I suppose it doesn't matter. =(

I loaded up Chrome to see what I was missing out on.

edit: Doesn't work on Firefox 31. I'm about to update. We'll see if it works then.
edit2: works in firefox now but still not Pale Moon. =(

GreenReaper
04-01-2015, 03:37 PM
what

New things loading from cdn.weasyl.com are often doing so hella slow (i.e. a few KB/sec, or failing to load). For example, the first few eggs on the browse page when I'm the most recent person to have accessed the site from that node, or full images from the backlog. This file (https://cdn.weasyl.com/static/character/32/e8/a6/85/6b/0e/ikani-41503.submit.2061.png) took five minutes to not-yet-finish loading.

Accessing an image is plenty fast when it's in the cache, though, which makes me think it's the origin server or congestion from the CloudFlare node to that server, rather than the route from the CloudFlare node to me.

This wasn't a problem early in the early morning U.S. time but started to be later on in the day.

My IP for cdn.weasyl.com is 162.159.247.131 - maybe mtr to there from the origin would show a problem?

- - - Updated - - -

The slow thumbnails are showing CF-Cache-Status:"EXPIRED", "REVALIDATED" or "MISS" (in roughly that order). "HIT" returns immediately. Character thumbs report 'Cache-Control:"public, max-age=1800"' which seems low.

I doubt it's related, but DB2 is eating up 4% of its disk space per day. Not sure if that's intentional, but it's not the usual pattern for that server. Excessive logging?

- - - Updated 2 - - -

It's now back to "quite fast" from "hella slow". No obvious reason why.

Matt
04-01-2015, 04:33 PM
But, Matt, there's a Mr. Bungle song called "Egg". Seems like that deserves thanks too.
But, what do I know... The ways of egg are far beyond me @o@
Egg.

This was an oversight on my part. Please forgive me. I've contacted Mike Patton, and he'll be responding with personalized directions of penance later this evening.

Egg.

Steve
04-01-2015, 06:26 PM
I found the update eggceptional

Iccodypup
04-01-2015, 07:53 PM
This was an oversight on my part. Please forgive me. I've contacted Mike Patton, and he'll be responding with personalized directions of penance later this evening.

Egg.

Oh no! I didn't mean to get you in trouble!
And that album was over 20 years ago, I'm surprised it bothered Mike Patton that much!

B-but...if the Egg must be appeased. Then I hope your penance is an easy one -_-

Egg.

weykent
04-01-2015, 08:25 PM
New things loading from cdn.weasyl.com are often doing so hella slow (i.e. a few KB/sec, or failing to load). For example, the first few eggs on the browse page when I'm the most recent person to have accessed the site from that node, or full images from the backlog. This file (https://cdn.weasyl.com/static/character/32/e8/a6/85/6b/0e/ikani-41503.submit.2061.png) took five minutes to not-yet-finish loading.

Accessing an image is plenty fast when it's in the cache, though, which makes me think it's the origin server or congestion from the CloudFlare node to that server, rather than the route from the CloudFlare node to me.

This wasn't a problem early in the early morning U.S. time but started to be later on in the day.

My IP for cdn.weasyl.com is 162.159.247.131 - maybe mtr to there from the origin would show a problem?

- - - Updated - - -

The slow thumbnails are showing CF-Cache-Status:"EXPIRED", "REVALIDATED" or "MISS" (in roughly that order). "HIT" returns immediately. Character thumbs report 'Cache-Control:"public, max-age=1800"' which seems low.

I doubt it's related, but DB2 is eating up 4% of its disk space per day. Not sure if that's intentional, but it's not the usual pattern for that server. Excessive logging?

- - - Updated 2 - - -

It's now back to "quite fast" from "hella slow". No obvious reason why.

ok

BD Beardog
04-02-2015, 01:24 AM
I'm one of the crowd recently moving here from FA. Just curious if the eggs are a (temporary) joke, or will they be staying?

alexkl5
04-02-2015, 02:10 AM
I REALLY hope this is just an April Fool's joke.

KajTaotsu
04-02-2015, 04:53 AM
Pretty sure it's just an April Fool's joke, but still a good one at that.
It does frame food photography pretty well for the thumbnails lol

piņardilla
04-02-2015, 05:39 AM
It's not ovum yet.

akitary
04-02-2015, 07:01 AM
I'm one of the crowd recently moving here from FA. Just curious if the eggs are a (temporary) joke, or will they be staying?

they were always like this. there are rumors they will change to pumpkin shapes soon.

I REALLY hope this is just an April Fool's joke.

nope. we fought out the thumbnail revamp after years of fighting with the devteam. We lost many warriors in bloody battles, but it was totally worth it.

BD Beardog
04-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Maybe if you'd let us know how long, I don't really want to send people to view my art when it looks like a goofy joke. If it's going to be a few days, or unknown period of time, etc. I'd rather wait till it's back to normal.
Thanks,
BD

LauriJ
04-02-2015, 08:51 AM
So, you guys still doing the April Fools?

piņardilla
04-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Alright, realtalk: Devs decided to leave the thumbnail revert until morning, as they were pretty involved with some backend stuff last night. Barring anything unforeseen, it will change back today, but nobody's awake at the moment.

BD Beardog
04-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Bloody hell...now you tell us! I just moved out...

Krespo
04-02-2015, 09:37 AM
The egg thumbnails really made wazzyl stand out. Much sad to see them go, especially before Easter :c

KaydenFrei
04-02-2015, 12:33 PM
I think we should keep Omegga Weasyl until spring is over! Or at least Easter. All the complainers have no sense of humor.

akitary
04-02-2015, 01:43 PM
I think we should keep Omegga Weasyl until spring is over! Or at least Easter. All the complainers have no sense of humor.

yes, they do., they laughed for a day.

just, you know, people are trying to sell their art here, and looking all goofy on not April 1st is pretty counterproductive.
it's not funny when you loose a potential customer. :/

BD Beardog
04-02-2015, 02:23 PM
yes, they do., they laughed for a day.

just, you know, people are trying to sell their art here, and looking all goofy on not April 1st is pretty counterproductive.
it's not funny when you loose a potential customer. :/

If you are referring to me, I don't sell art, and anyone who has seen my art or heard my music CLEARLY knows I have no sense of humor :)
One reason I moved here from FA is because I thought the site looked so good, really handsomely laid-out and the pictures looked really nice. The square thumbnails were a bit strange but I could live with that. I'd only been here for a couple of days, so it was a bit of a shock to suddenly see the eggs, not to mention that I don't pay any attention to "holidays" and in fact actively like to distance myself from them. As for April 1, I never know what DAY it is, let alone what date! It's also not a tradition that's practiced everywhere in the world, so the joke was not as obvious as you might have found it.

Iccodypup
04-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Ooh. I'm gonna miss those eggs :(
But I guess I can understand other folks' distaste for em.
Not everyone likes eggs.
So long, eggs! (~0~)/

akitary
04-02-2015, 03:10 PM
nah, I was referring to people I heard asking about when the thumbnails get removed because <similar reasons I raised>. including me.
I mean I LOVED the egg thumbs, and I hope hey come back next year, but... you know, hard to advertise like that.
And I'm just about to release a new big painting this night or tomorrow morning, I didn't want it to be represented in an egg, since I do those so rarely.

Butterflygoddess
04-02-2015, 09:45 PM
That was really fun and cute. <3

It reminded me of when DA and FA used to do funny things for special holidays.

BD Beardog
04-03-2015, 12:46 AM
Well now that I know things like this might happen, it won't be such a shock next time! But for now everything is back to "normal", for lack of a better term :)

akitary
04-03-2015, 04:45 AM
That was really fun and cute. <3

It reminded me of when DA and FA used to do funny things for special holidays.

DA did now. They released this new IRL stylus thing. So far their weakest April 1st joke in my opinion though.

Fiz
04-03-2015, 11:20 AM
As stated in the news post, we might bring the eggs back some day in some form, but no estimated time on that.

However, user BudgieBin (https://www.weasyl.com/~budgiebin) has made a reproduction of the egg thumbnails, so if you're able to use CSS extensions for your browser, try this out:

http://pastebin.com/jjeHwwGX

BudgieBin
04-03-2015, 02:00 PM
As stated in the news post, we might bring the eggs back some day in some form, but no estimated time on that.

However, user BudgieBin (https://www.weasyl.com/~budgiebin) has made a reproduction of the egg thumbnails, so if you're able to use CSS extensions for your browser, try this out:

http://pastebin.com/jjeHwwGX

Thanks for the pimp yo!

Since the pastebin will expire, I've submitted a journal with the codes for everyone to use instead :)

HAPPY EGG HOLIDAY.

CSS Egg Mod (https://www.weasyl.com/journal/82144/want-the-egg-thumbnails-back-here-you-go)

armaina
04-03-2015, 05:21 PM
DA did now. They released this new IRL stylus thing. So far their weakest April 1st joke in my opinion though. Ever since people got SO ANGRY about mudkip icons (that didn't even last the full 24 hours and were ripped down in the middle of the day) they've been doing a lot more stuff with.. less impact, over the years. (people got angry at the 'team' icons too but not as angry as mudkips... wow was that a chaos storm no one expected)

So if they're jokes are weak, it's because a lot of people got REALLY pissed off about mudkips.

Swanda
04-03-2015, 05:36 PM
How could you be so angry about the mudkips, but "meh" about the teams. I will never understand.

armaina
04-03-2015, 09:08 PM
How could you be so angry about the mudkips, but "meh" about the teams. I will never understand. I think a lot of people up and left around that time, and 2008 (pretty sure it was 2008) was the peek of DA's activity at least obvious interactive activity that is. At least the Team icons survived the full 24 hours, the midkips didn't ):

Swanda
04-03-2015, 11:51 PM
Well I've seen worse honestly. I was on a small Danish site in my early internet days, and oh boy. One year they did the "We are now a Manga/anime artsite." And holy S*'* People flipped like nothing I've ever seen before or since. Outright deleting profiles on the spot, that they've spent years cultivating. And the old day sites didn't have no take backsies, if you deleted your profile it was gone. It was quite glorious to watch from the sidelines, really. Nothing like watching a large group of 30+year-olds have temper tantrums not even a toddler could outdo.