PDA

View Full Version : A list of ideas and explainations for Weasyl

rowedahelicon
03-29-2015, 06:11 PM
Hello~ I wanted to help offer in some inputs on the site and some ideas I've had for it. I did take the time to read the common suggestions list but not through every thread here, so I apologize in advance if someone else came up with an idea first.

Tags
There should be a way to define pre-set lists of tags for doing a submission. Example, if I were to post a fur pic, I could click "Furry art" and it'd auto enter 'Fur, furry, anthro,' etc, to help cut down on redundant entries. The same could apply to art of a particular nature, a comic, etc.

Comics
For comic artists, perhaps a way to way to specify the next page in a series. Similar to the "More in folder" section, but with a better focus on it. Maybe if it was on eye level with the image description.

Multimedia
For musicians, I've noticed trying to search for particular genres of music, or music at all, is a little awkward. Perhaps there could be a sub section for multimedia work "music.weasyl.com" or something, similar to how Newgrounds does it. The same could be said for writing, as a few writers I've spoken with wish there was a better even advertisement on writing and not just visual artwork. I'm sure fragmenting the site isn't the best idea, but it wouldn't replace the search or the main page or anything, just give it a better space to view for those who want it.

https://www.weasyl.com/search?find=submit&cat=3000 While this page is handy in browsing multimedia submissions, the search page doesn't accommodate music very well. While someone searching for these things could easily find it, the objective would be to help give an equal focus.

Sub Accounts
It has been mentioned around that it would be nice to have private favorites, to which I agree. But the idea here would be to allow an artist to have a sub account they could conduct different business on. I'll try and keep this PG...but an example would be an artist having an account for clean art, and one without it. Or perhaps fetish art, non fur stuff, etc. Rather than having to fiddle about with the login process each time they wanted to swap.

This would also be handy for favorites, I could favorite all my naughty things on a different account, and keep my clean account...clean.

These are just some suggestions, I may add more to this list if I can think of any good ones. I mostly wanted to keep things here feasible and make sure there would be good reason for them. There are a lot of good ideas across the board here, and at some point I'd like to finish learning Python to help out development!

Socks the Fox
03-29-2015, 07:09 PM
I know the comics issue is one of the bigger PITA things my friend has with Weasyl. She has over 700 pages in her comic and the only reason the majority of them have navigation is because I wrote a program that handles it for her.

Sub accounts would be nice too, for favoriting things under a different name that you might not want on your main account, without having to go log out, log in to the new account, find and favorite the image, log back out and into the old account, and continue. Probably a quick AJAX dropdown where the "Welcome, <username>" is would be good for swapping accounts.

Noxid
03-29-2015, 08:15 PM
Isn't sequential navigation like.. a thing, that weasyl does?
Like, if you just take your comic, and put it in a folder in order, then the "More in Folder" navigation will let you flip from page to page

rowedahelicon
03-29-2015, 08:57 PM
Isn't sequential navigation like.. a thing, that weasyl does?
Like, if you just take your comic, and put it in a folder in order, then the "More in Folder" navigation will let you flip from page to page

Similar to the "More in folder" section, but with a better focus on it. Maybe if it was on eye level with the image description.

It is the same yes, but it is out of the way from viewer focus and it only works if the comic was uploaded in sequence.

Socks the Fox
03-30-2015, 01:04 PM
The issue is it's tucked away in a corner, and isn't obvious to be used for navigation of a series. If it were right below the submission picture and had more obvious "Prev/Next" buttons it would make things so much easier.