PDA

View Full Version : [SITE] Lack of Markdown instructions

LNight
03-27-2015, 07:37 AM
First of: I'm not used to markdown so I literally do not know a lot about it.

Second: There's a lack of Markdown instructions on how to do certain things on the site itself, on how to do certain things, and even proper visual representation of what doing this or that actually does on the site as well.

So I would like help to actually using it properly, and request as well to maybe update and make it easier for now people like me, to understand what does what and how it looks without having to go and try it out. Maybe even enable BB Code on the site as well for people like me, who actually knows how that works so we can do the things we want, the way we're used to, and even enable things like colored text.

Taw
03-27-2015, 08:36 AM
We have a markdown formatting guide available in our help documents. (You can find this at the top of page on the main site, or by clicking here: https://www.weasyl.com/help)

The markdown formatting guide is here: https://www.weasyl.com/help/markdown

When you are posting a comment, shout, submission, etc, we have a previewer that should display everything live as you type your posts so you can see if things formatted properly before you submit them. A quick example:

http://i.imgur.com/cQAk6J4.png

Nanuk
03-30-2015, 03:00 PM
Hey!

Just so you know, we've added a "Formatting Help" link to comments. Hopefully this will make it easier to find formatting instructions for your content on the site.

KajTaotsu
03-31-2015, 02:02 AM
Can the "formatting help" link also be added to the submissions details/description page? I find that when I'm having to post recipes and such that I always have to go through few pages to get to the markdown one. It'd come in serious handy, as the comments link will also! Thank you already for the addition!

Nanuk
03-31-2015, 06:01 PM
That's a good idea, thanks! I let our devs know and we'll look into it.

Storm
04-01-2015, 11:00 AM
BTW you can use a wide range of HTML as well. You can do pretty much anything in the Markdown help with HTML as well.

And I can't stress enough, as I did many times, that you mustn't force Markdown onto the users! Markdown has several disadvantages over HTML, and some people simply hate it.

You should make it clear that people can use BOTH Markdown and HTML, even a combination of the two.

If someone loves Markdown, sure, use it! But for the sake of humanity, don't force it.

I would bet my hat any day that if you did a poll among users, the vast majority would vote for using HTML over Markdown.

straycat_74
04-12-2015, 10:42 AM
WTF is markdown and why can't I JUST upload a plain text file?
I can do MS-doc, RTF, and txt... but wtf is markdown and utf-8?

I will have to ask forgiveness, I've only been using computers for over thirty years as a technical support agent and computer consultant. I have NEVER heard of markdown or UTF-8 before.

currently I use notepad, wordpad, and open office writer. NONE of those have aI found anything about utf-8 or markdown in.
and I do not have a PDF writer (unless that's in open office and I just haven't bothered looking yet)

Socks the Fox
04-12-2015, 12:39 PM
UTF-8 is merely how the text file is encoded. It allows all the special characters and symbols, while keeping the smallest file size for typical English text. You don't have to do anything special if you use Notepad, it saves in UTF-8 by default. It's been around for some... what 20 years, with over 80% of the web using it?

Markdown is a simplistic formatting system that's super easy to type that's been around since '04. Here's a basic rundown:

*italic*
**bold**
[link](http://example.com/)

* list item 1
* list item 2

> quote box
`typewriter/example code`
code

#header1
##header2

Most of these also work in Reddit comments (though bold and italic are swapped IIRC) and Wikipedia articles, as well as in a few other places.

Typically files that use this formating are saved with a .md extension instead of .txt.

Both of these have Wikipedia articles that could be found by Googling "utf8" or "markdown", respectively (though by the looks of it Weasyl's markdown differs from the format on the wiki article in a few little places).

Storm
04-18-2015, 10:24 PM
Markdown however, while it is good for doing VERY SIMPLE formatting such as making some words bold, is very unreliable when it comes to complex formatting.

Also, it's something used only by a small minority, and that's for a reason. Filtered HTML and BB code are much more appropriate and should be preferred instead.

Socks the Fox
04-19-2015, 12:44 PM
it's something used only by a small minority

If by "small minority" you mean "everyone on Reddit and Wikipedia, as well as quite a few other sites."

The vast majority of people basically just link, bold, and italicize, which markdown works well for. Even for more complicated things, like headings, quoting, and inserting code inline and as a block, it works well. For everything else, filtered HTML is in fact supported (and is mentioned in the help docs, though it could be expanded on *what* is supported, i.e. is <div style="text-align:center;color:#E21"></div>?).

Markdown isn't as scary or useless as some here seem to think.