PDA

View Full Version : Any musicians here? Show off your musical instruments, rigs, setups, etc!

akittywithaguitar
03-22-2015, 12:21 AM
I'm a bit of a gear nerd, and I love seeing people's gear and whatnot, so I'd like to see what you guys have going on. Guitar, bass, keyboard, amps, drum, wind, brass, whatever works!

Quick edit: If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it wherever.

Eduard
03-22-2015, 04:59 AM
I have been drumming for five years or more and I used to play on this exquisite and reliable Sonor drum set my percussion professor allowed me to use.
It was a very acceptable drum set, more than decent for beginners and professionals alike as it cuts a nice balance between cost and quality.

I am afraid I do not have pictures of it though.

However, with historical reenactment, I now play drums during marching parades and battles for this Roman Legion. This drum I use was made inside the association by building it with wood, skinning a cow calf and using its stomach skin for the membrane. It has a really dreadfully resonant sound. What's more dreadful is its stench: It smells of death and garlic (Rubbing garlic over it makes sure moisture will not ruin the membrane). But... at least that smell kept mosquitoes away from me during the summer events.

Here is a pic of it: http://i.imgur.com/JHA2l3H.jpg

I am not certain whether this is exactly what you expected but... ))))

What about you? Any instruments you might play?

Oly
03-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Soundcloud.com/ghytwembpang
Soundcloud.com/pomfox
soundcloud.com/vxnervegass

I play everything, I produce, I sing, I rap, I scream, I'm a drummer in a metal band...

akittywithaguitar
03-22-2015, 11:36 PM
I have been drumming for five years or more and I used to play on this exquisite and reliable Sonor drum set my percussion professor allowed me to use.

I've been looking into an acoustic kit myself so I can learn how to drum. Sounds like your quite find of Sonor, although I grew up with bands like Metallica so I've always wanted to get a Tama kit since I'm more of a metal guy, and a lot of metal bands seem to gravitate towards them. Either that or a cheap Alesis or Yamaha electric kit and try to fiddle with VSTs.

And a traditional percussion instrument that smells of corpses... I'm not sure how to respond to that. :p

As for myself, I'm mostly a guitarist, but I dabble in bass too. I currently own a Squier and Schecter, and plan on eyeing some PRSes in the future, as well as some 5-string basses.

Eduard
03-23-2015, 05:02 AM
If you are aiming for metal, I can definitely suggest Pearl drums as I, at least, find them more accustomed to this genre, along with a combination of Zildjian and Sabian cymbals. Honestly, that is my ideal drum kit.

Stagg or Ddrum are some cheaper alternatives for metal. DW drums are good too.

Metal is a very interesting genre to play on drums, or at least, so I've felt it. I have been mainly a jazz drummer although I have listened to metal, especially its extreme genres way before I got into drums. But there was something about the liberty, freedom of execution and melody in jazz that enthralled me.
Suffice to say, I was flabbergasted when I changed genres, they are so distinct. Jazz promotes improvisation and light, caressing, frail strokes while metal has this raw violence in hitting the membrane as well as speed.

Imagine how fun it is to combine the two!

And a traditional percussion instrument that smells of corpses... I'm not sure how to respond to that. :p

You should definitely hear how it sounds! Maybe if I find videos of our events.

Hmm, I would be curious to hear more about your bass experiences. I have been curious about trying bass. I once played a bass guitar, one a friend of mine borrowed me, and I had a blast. It felt as if a guitar and a drumkit had a baby. I can describe it as playing drum rhythms... on chords. I am not sure how right I am but this was the exact impression I had!

What was the first song you played on it, if any?

I am also curious to hear your opinion about fretless basses.

akittywithaguitar
03-23-2015, 04:14 PM
The drums I always kept an eye on were Tama, Pearl, Mapex, and Yamaha. Tama and Pearl because of their popularity, Mapex because I had a friend who's dad own a Saturn series kit, and it was rather nice, and Yamaha because out of all the other brands I've seen, Yamaha's all-around brand seems to give you the best band of the buck.

Looking at prices, the Export series seems rather affordable; $650 for a 5-piece kit that gets rather good reviews, or their 'budget' 5-piece "rock" kit for $500. Doesn't seem to have as nice reviews, so I think I'd spring for the Export series. But I'm also looking at ddrum, who has a $500 5-piece that gets better reviews that the $50 Pearl... Yeesh, so many options!

And I have to agree about the bass sentiment. It's an instrument in which you can follow the guitars, keep the rhythm with the bass, or have your own groove going on. Here's an example of Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse/Conquering Dystopia doing a bit of all that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuH6V3z-V6Y

As for the first bass song I learned... I think it was either Cold Sweat by Thin Lizzy or Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath. That was back when my friend lent me his bass. I currently don't own one, which is why I'm eying Schecter for a 5-string, since they have an extended scale and I tend to use a low B, even if the guitars don't tune that low. Think of Queensryche's "Della Brown", where the guitars are in standard E, and the bassist uses a 5-string, and uses the B string as a bit of an accent.

And fretless, I'll be honest, I've yet to use one. They seem fun, but a lot of the stuff I have in mind playing don't require one. I mean, I COULD find a use for it, but I'm no Jaco. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of the tone of a fretless. Since the string is contacting pure wood (or plastic or epoxy), you seem to get this rather "honky" attack in the notes, which is even more noticeable when the bridge pickup is solo'd. I like a very bright, 'clanky' attack, similar to what you hear in that video above.

*ramble off*

lufan131
06-17-2015, 02:36 PM
I play tuba and keyboard. Sometimes I compose, sometimes I record, but my voice isn't clear, so it sounds odd.

Oly
06-20-2015, 04:58 PM
since i never actually said:

I work on windows 8 with a Scarlett 18i20 interface, in Ableton with a Push, and sometimes in Renoise. I have my friend's Jackson for recording guitar and a low end Ibanez bass I don't play much lately because it desperately needs a good setup. Used to have a 5 string Peavey but had to pawn it a while back >:

I used to and at some point will again have a DSI Mopho desktop. It's my favorite thing for adding nasty bass layers. Now that I have a proper interface I could record it properly, too. They're only 300-400 so I'll grab me one eventually, probably in the next year or so.

My drums are cheapo Peavey beginner shells with a double kick and a set of rototoms, with a wuhan crash, sabian ride and hats. I had a small wuhan china too but it got stole or something a while ago >: and i have some trash cymbals i'd use but no stands for em.

Eduard
06-22-2015, 09:54 AM
^
Now that is wicked.

Oly
06-22-2015, 04:41 PM
It's pretty nice, I lack studio monitors or even good headphones unfortunately, once I get that I got a fairly decent setup. I need a couple more mics too, I got just one lower end shure, the SM... something, not the 57/58, it was like 80 bucks and is just decent for vocals and a bit of sampling.

I also don't have a proper jam spot so I can't play my drums right now. booo :U

Kalmor
06-22-2015, 06:54 PM
I made a photo album of all my stuff.

https://imgur.com/a/OJWt8

akittywithaguitar
06-22-2015, 08:27 PM
It's pretty nice, I lack studio monitors or even good headphones unfortunately, once I get that I got a fairly decent setup. I need a couple more mics too, I got just one lower end shure, the SM... something, not the 57/58, it was like 80 bucks and is just decent for vocals and a bit of sampling.

I also don't have a proper jam spot so I can't play my drums right now. booo :U

If you're looking for more dynamic mics, check out the GLS audio ES57 and ES58 on Amazon. $35 a piece and they get rave reviews on audiophile sites like Gearslutz. If you'd prefer big name stuff, Samson has a $40 dynamic mic that this guy loved to death (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqpx0ei_5n8), and has a modular capsule so it can switch between a vocal and instrument mic. For other things like condensers, I've heard surprisingly good things about Behringer. Hell, all of their pro audio gear seems to get really good reviews, even though their other stuff can be hit or miss.

Oly
06-22-2015, 09:37 PM
behringer can be good or total trash. you have to really make sure you read reviews before you buy any of their shit to make sure it's not one of their duds x3

akittywithaguitar
06-23-2015, 01:17 AM
Oh I know about the issues with the bad Behringer stuff. x3 I had a US600, a Boss PS5 clone, that did the job perfectly when I wanted to imitate Dimebag, but eventually broke due to the cheap plastic housing.

Their mics, rackmount gear, interfaces, monitors, PA systems, etc. seem to be solid, though. Ola Englund (famous metal musician on Youtube) does all of his production/mixing work with Behringer monitors, and I've seen a bunch of dudes praise their power amps for PA work, as well as using them to power cabs for amp modelers.

Oly
06-23-2015, 10:40 AM
I'd very much like their BCF2000. Three or four of em tbh.

but the only thing i NEED is a pair of studio cans (i lost mine UGGHHHH) and then monitors. and maybe two or three more mics after. i need too many other, non music things too x3

akittywithaguitar
06-23-2015, 08:47 PM
I'm in the same boat, although I need a good interface as well. Since we're talking about Behringer, I was tempted to look into their U-Phoria series. If not, I'd like to check out the Focusrite 2i4 and 6i6. Not to mention there's a slew of guitars, basses, amps, effects, a powered monitor, and a modeler I want. XD

Any clue what monitors you were looking at? I'm curious as well.

Oly
06-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Probably just whatever the shop had in the 500ish range. Likely some KRKs or Adams, usual fare. IT's a few months off at least so I haven't dug into narrowing it down.

I'll probably get ATH50s for my cans. S'what I had before. I liked them a lot.

In other news, I'm strongly considering sending Deathbomb Arc a demo for my rap shit.

CA3
07-13-2015, 01:17 PM
Here are photos of a few instruments I regularly practice on. I'll be adding more photos of the rest when I dig them up. I can practice with the chanter at home until I'm tired of playing. The bagpipes require I head over to a park a few city blocks away from my home to practice.

Wooden bagpipe practice chanter a few months before the bagpipes (http://c.arnold0.tripod.com/images/gear/51J45H02oPL._SL1268_.jpg)

A Pakistani bagpipe I got a few years ago (http://c.arnold0.tripod.com/images/gear/41GD3NZY0QL._SX425_.jpg)

Namba
07-14-2015, 01:49 AM
I have, like, four different guitars and two amps I work with. I need to get some photos rounded up for y'all.