PDA

View Full Version : [SITE] Banner and animated GIF avatar Derp

teckworks
09-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Just some things I've noticed. (http://i.imgur.com/PVKU4.jpg)

THe banner doesn't seem to resize or the default resolution (which is what my banner is) is too big.

Also animated GIF avatars tend to bug out a bit, they seem to enlarge on the animated parts. :x

SuburbanFox
10-01-2012, 04:26 AM
The problem with animated avatars has hit me too.

The issue seems to be that Adobe's software shrinks the animation frames to their minimum possible size, then applies an X/Y offset. In effect, it removes any transparent space and adds a chunk to the frame which says "draw this frame here". This can save a lot of space, but many image resizers don't recognise the X/Y offset and recalculate it... they set it to "no offset, draw at (0,0)" instead.

No prizes for guessing what this does to the animation...

I've worked around it by loading my avatar animation into GIMP (which loads each frame as a separate layer). From there you select each layer in turn, then do "Layer to Image Size" (it's on the Layer menu). Save the image back out as an animated GIF and you should be good to go. Whether the resizer honours the "frame position" chunk becomes irrelevant, because all the frames are the same size.

CHICAGO_lollie
10-01-2012, 02:12 PM
The issue seems to be on server-side as well — Whatever's being used to resize images after uploading. If the image is exactly the same size as max size (in this case, 100x100), Weasyl will try to resize the image anyway. Obviously, resizing an animated GIF can stuff things up.

As an aside, I've noticed that Weasyl also tries to resize header images if you upload a 1650x250 image, which makes the images appear a little blurry. Weasyl doesn't seem to resize the image if it is smaller on one side. As long as it doesn't completely fill the maximum size, your images should be safe.

Mihari
10-01-2012, 07:07 PM
It likely has to do with the site currently using the GD library, instead of Imagemagick. I thought I read that in some other thread. The GD library doesn't handle re-sizing PNG and GIFs (animated) very well. A common thing that occurs on many hosted sites is the GD library just isn't updated either, and just needs to be done after the fact.

Taw
10-02-2012, 03:23 AM
It likely has to do with the site currently using the GD library, instead of Imagemagick. I thought I read that in some other thread. The GD library doesn't handle re-sizing PNG and GIFs (animated) very well. A common thing that occurs on many hosted sites is the GD library just isn't updated either, and just needs to be done after the fact.

The other thread you read was probably to do with the forums back before we changed over to Imagemagick and updated it. I'll inquire with Kihari what we're using on the main site regarding libraries and will request to move to imagemagick if we aren't already on it.

I'll also let him know about the banners and possibly reworking how they are sized and such if it's possible, as it can be a bit finicky.

Kihari
10-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Static banner size is intended functionality but I will ask Aden about it. Issue with crazy GIF avatars has been fixed. Thanks everyone.

Aden
10-04-2012, 05:26 PM
THe banner doesn't seem to resize or the default resolution (which is what my banner is) is too big.

That's the current intended behavior; however, I'm beginning to see that the benefits of squishing it to the screen width might outweigh my initial reasons for it to behave like this. I'm going to change it to reflect this for when the site re-opens and then see what people think. Thanks for weighing in c: