PDA

View Full Version : Bone/Fur Collectors?

Placebo
12-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Any bone or fur collectors out there? Sure it's an odd hobby and isn't exactly taxidermy, but still. I quite enjoy it.

My collection of bones and furs right now include:

-One raccoon skull
-One squirrel skull
-One coyote skull
-Two wolf tails
-Multiple deer bones
-Multiple cow bones

I'm actually hoping to add on to my collection as I continue to explore around. I have a bad habit of going ahead and stuffing any bones I find in my pockets.

So, anyone else out there with this odd hobby? Possibly taxidermy? Jewelry making? I'm curious to know :)

Gamedog
12-02-2014, 07:19 PM
This is my calling....

Fur pelts:
Coyote, red fox, raccoon, skunk, rabbits, 2 squirrels, fox cub
Fur tails:
Coyote, silver fox, arctic fox, tanuki, kit fox, bobcat,
Fur Misc:
Cat paws, squirrel paws
Skulls:
Cat, rabbit, short-tailed shrew, 2x raccoon, Pit Bull, coyote, bobcat, kit fox, swift fox, opossum, skunk, red fox (resin spotted hyena cast is in the mail)
Bones Misc:
Cat skeleton, raccoon skeleton, cat arm skeleton(?), fish jaw, WTD antlers, single antler, cat jaw, squirrel bones, raccoon scapula
Taxidermy:
2x WTD, black bear cub, 2x large trout (I think), rainbow trout, some sort of black duck, Chukar partridge, bufflehead duck, female teal-winged duck, ruddy duck, chinese goose
Preserved:
Cat heart, couple mice, 5 baby opossums, rabbit heart, rabbit tongue

Working on my trapper's license and I should have a lot more.
I don't really "do anything" with the things I have, I just collect them.

MischievousRaven
12-05-2014, 05:58 PM
As an avid hunter, I have compiled multiple pelts, skulls, horns and the like. At the moment, I can recall parts I have of white-tailed deer, striped skunk, muskrat, red fox, swamp and cottontail rabbits. :)

Gamedog
12-09-2014, 01:37 PM
http://imgur.com/a/Jv6GU

!!!!!!came today!!!!!

TealMoon
12-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Do you guys know a good place to get skulls on the cheap? (Real or fake, doesn't matter)

Gamedog
12-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Do you guys know a good place to get skulls on the cheap? (Real or fake, doesn't matter)

Check out eBay, Etsy, furhideandbone on Livejournal, and Taxidermy.net forums.
Make absolute sure you know the laws for where you live, and be wary of any sellers who are selling African species or who are located in Africa
Animals like wolves and such cannot be purchased without the proper paperwork (CITES). If a seller is selling a wolf skull or a leopard, lion, hawk, etc without paperwork or says it's not needed, run far away.

Remember that birds of prey are off-limits in the USA, stay away from any raptor parts.

TealMoon
12-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Looks like it'll be plastic for a lot of what I need.
Thanks for the info.

Gamedog
12-11-2014, 04:23 AM
Yeah I know that feel
I would like to get a resin tiger or lion skull to go with my hyena...
maybe when I've got the $$ again

skullreplica on ebay sells nice replicas!

Deo
12-11-2014, 07:00 PM
I have a lot of non-documented illegal exotics, gotten in non-harmful ways. (Since I worked at a zoo and for the animal hospital in charge of zoo animals alive and dead.) All natural deaths, but yeah since none were bought there is no paperwork or whatever else I'd need.

Gamedog
12-11-2014, 09:27 PM
I have a lot of non-documented illegal exotics, gotten in non-harmful ways. (Since I worked at a zoo and for the animal hospital in charge of zoo animals alive and dead.) All natural deaths, but yeah since none were bought there is no paperwork or whatever else I'd need.

Not quite true.
You should still register them with the state/government to prove where you got them. If someone says "Deo has a lion skull" and the DNR comes to your house, they'll consider you an animal parts trafficker with illegal animal parts, which can come with a felony charge and prison time.
I would suggest contacting CITES and asking them what the necessary course is to register your animal parts, because if they are indeed "illegal exotics", it's illegal to own them without the proper paperwork, and it doesn't mean you can own them if you didn't purchase them. A zoo would definitely be able to provide you with the necessary paperwork.
Using the migratory bird law in the states as an example, you can go to prison and get fined thousands of $$ if you keep an eagle talon or some feathers from an owl, even if you literally did find them on the ground in a field. The reason for this is that they can't prove you didn't kill that animal for those parts, and they can't prove that you didn't purchase them from a black market dealer.

To put it into perspective, I have to register all roadkill that I find and keep with the government. If I find a dead raccoon and take it's paw or whatever, I have to register that with the government, and print out the documents and keep them. That's just for a raccoon on the side of the road - imagine if it were a tiger part someone gave me.

TealMoon
12-12-2014, 07:37 PM
If you get stuff from roadkill aren't you worried about rabies?

Gamedog
12-12-2014, 08:19 PM
If you get stuff from roadkill aren't you worried about rabies?
Always, but I'm also scared of rabies when dealing with animals trapped or hunted.
Rabies cannot survive in direct sunlight, but it's still pretty hardy and can survive even being frozen. For the most part, you're not going to get rabies unless you've been bit by a live animal or you're rolling around in the blood of a dead, rabid animal.
I've had a few rabies scares, with the most recent involving a raccoon;
I was skinning it out and it was going well up until the end, when I took my gloves off. I realized that my hands were wet and I had open cuts in my fingers (not from skinning, but from something else entirely). I panicked because I thought I cut my glove open and blood may have got inside, but I'm still alive and okay because the moisture turned out to be sweat.
Just wear good gloves (nitrile is the best), keep your knife sharp, and don't touch your face or mouth.

The risk of getting Lyme Disease is greater than rabies. Ticks are pretty damn small when they've got no blood in them, and they can easily crawl up your arm without you feeling them or noticing them. Once they've attached, they drink and can release Lyme Disease (although it's believed that a tick must be attached for at least 8 hours to pass Lyme), and then they fall off without you even noticing them.

Another thing you need to worry about with roadkill (raccoon in particular) is roundworm. The eggs can become dried and airborne, and so you need to wear a mask to cover your face. The raccoon I skinned out was absolutely packed with worms, it was horrifying.

However, trappers and hunters all over the world still skin out raccoons and other various dead animals with no issues (some of them are even ballsy enough to skin bare-handed. Why they do this, I have no idea).

Rilvor
12-12-2014, 09:55 PM
I highly recommend the Skullery shop on Etsy, it's where my Fiance got my Short-Nosed Fruit Bat skull necklace (It's a resin replica). I'm not much into having furs but I love bones and complete taxidermy pieces. There's a local store here called Natural Selection that is run by an awesome lady and her mother doing taxidermy I recently bought a beautiful Horseshoe Bat from.

Gamedog
12-12-2014, 10:29 PM
The Skullery is awesome and I recommend them as well
I've been wanting to purchase a budgie skull necklace from them

TealMoon
12-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Just took a look and they are very nice. And to too expensive. :3

Gamedog
12-12-2014, 11:25 PM
Here's some that I want to get next

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAY-WOLF-SKULL-REPLICA-REAL-SIZE-/231410382526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e12236be

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIGER-SKULL-REPLICA-REAL-SIZE-/331342434523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d258c50db

Midnight_Gear_
12-13-2014, 03:14 AM
I had no idea this was something people did. Im both disturbed and intrigued.

Gamedog
12-13-2014, 04:13 AM
We like to go by the term "vulture culture", it's a new term that is very quickly catching on, and it includes taxidermists, hunters, trappers, people who work with roadkill, clean bones, buy animal parts, etc.
We're called "vulture culture" because it originated with people who worked with roadkill, who took what would normally rot on the side of the road, and cleaned it up into something nice

Rilvor
12-13-2014, 04:17 AM
It's not the nicest term perhaps, but then dead things isn't very nice all of the time either.

Gamedog
12-13-2014, 05:09 AM
But vultures are badass, what's not to like about em?

TealMoon
12-13-2014, 11:24 PM
But vultures are badass, what's not to like about em?I love vultures, especially this one:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/23/Bartgeier_Gypaetus_barbatus_front_Richard_Bartz.jp g/615px-Bartgeier_Gypaetus_barbatus_front_Richard_Bartz.jp g
The Bearded Vulture.

If you just left a corpse out for the maggots would it be cleaned decently?

Gamedog
12-14-2014, 12:11 AM
bearded vultures are so overrated, Griffon Vultures are where it's at

If you just left a corpse out for the maggots would it be cleaned decently?
Yup, I've done that before.. However maggots are little bastards and will push bones around. This can be a problem with tiny skeletons
Ants are very good at cleaning bones

Rilvor
12-14-2014, 02:45 AM
bearded vultures are so overrated, Griffon Vultures are where it's at

Yup, I've done that before.. However maggots are little bastards and will push bones around. This can be a problem with tiny skeletons
Ants are very good at cleaning bones
Was just about to suggest ants right as your post started, so I'll second this.

TealMoon
12-14-2014, 03:36 AM
I'll keep the ants in mind.

Gamedog
12-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Yellowjackets are surprisingly good as well. They chew off big chunks and can get into places flies can get into, without the mess and smell of maggots

dirtypaws
01-03-2015, 02:51 AM
Right now i currently have: red fox pelt, opossum skull, red fox tail, dyed coyote tail (i believe. may also be a fox), and a grey wolf headdress. Currently waiting on the summer to come so i can dig up a buried opossum and hopefully get a good bit more bones out of them.

Rilvor
01-03-2015, 03:21 AM
My Fiance got us the most wonderful matching necklaces off of Etsy back in December. Mine has a cat femur and hers has a cat vertebrae.

Gamedog
01-03-2015, 04:17 AM
http://i.imgur.com/mkDX82A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FXB1e5A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/i8tf9l2.jpg

Rilvor
01-04-2015, 03:23 AM
Those are some lovely pics there!

Gamedog
01-04-2015, 03:27 AM
Thank you! The cat arm and cat in a jar are WIP, the rabbit just needs some "coffin wax" scraped out of the sinuses and he'll be good to go

SunCat
02-07-2015, 09:24 PM
First I thought this was kind of an odd/neat thread, then I realized I actually have a few things kicking around too. I don't really collect them, but I have two duck wings and a couple rabbit pelts. My aunt raises rabbits for meat and her son tried his hand at tanning some pelts and gave two to me. I have a nice white one and a black and white one. I think there is a tail kicking around too, not sure if it is fox or what.

Eilwen
03-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Ahh I'm so glad to see this here!

I don't have much a collection it's what ever I've found on my own, or were given by family who hunts.

My collection

Silver Fox Face Pelt ( Noes and ears intact )
8 point antlers still attached to the crown of the skull.
5 point antler
Cat jaw, Femurs & Skull ( Unearthed in small landslide )

I'm hoping to get a nice skull sometime, But for now my humble collection!

Gamedog
03-23-2015, 07:46 PM
I think there is a tail kicking around too, not sure if it is fox or what.
Got any pics?

I found a rabbit tail the other day while on a walk. Weird..
http://i.imgur.com/zY41X1g.jpg

Found a seller who sells real nice skulls (including some amazing ones like polar bear, lion, etc) with CITES and right where I live. Thinking about buying a wolf skull from him sometime.

Viciviser
05-15-2015, 03:28 AM
Not quite. So far the only dead things I have are butterflies and moths I've found already dead. Pretty rare occurrence. They are all in a hatbox. I don't even have them up on pins in a shadowbox for display. A shame really.
But I've always wanted to have skulls, bones, furs and such but I suppressed that interest since I worried that my dad might think me too morbid. I haven't recently just because I've not really found a time to actively search for dead animals and I'm not keen on picking up roadkill just yet.

What do you do to prepare a tail so that it doesn't rot? Do you just remove the skin/fur and have it go around something else?

- - - Updated - - -

That is weird! Kinda neat. Maybe not for the rabbit though. :p

Umbra_Exe
05-16-2015, 01:56 AM
I'm not a collector, myself, but I used to pick up random things I found as a kid. I seem to have lost most of them though. My favorite was a pointed tooth I found in the backyard of my old house. I called it a "dinosaur tooth", but I really don't know what it was. It was brown, and felt almost like it was made of wood, but it didn't look as though someone had carved it. I also used to have a lizard's tail and a gopher's jaw in a box, for some reason. Pretty sure my mom threw those out years ago, though.

In the future I'd like to get some replica skulls, and maybe some skeletons as well. I'd probably get a few bird skulls, a cat skeleton, a Smilodon skull, and maybe some canine specimens as well.
I've found out recently that there are people who sell miniature 3D printed skulls, scanned from real ones... I wonder if I can find a miniature hippo skull. They're one of my favorite skulls, but goodness knows I don't have the room for a full-sized one!

For now, I'm content with looking at the specimens in my school's Biology building. There's a whole room full of stuffed animals, skulls, skeletons, and animals preserved in jars/vials. I think my favorites are the platypus skull, the puma, and the derpy-looking owl that happens to be next to a normal-looking one.

Reminds me of the time my Field Biology class found a rabbit tail right outside the wildlife sanctuary at our school. At first I thought it was a piece of a plant, until someone passed it my way and I got a better look. I've also found squirrel tails around my house, on occasion.

Gamedog
05-16-2015, 05:39 AM
I found a second rabbit tail since then, lol
I have two now

Uncle Gator
06-26-2015, 08:35 PM
i don't have the time, money, or space to have much right now, unfortunately, but i have a couple of things.
-fox skull
-ermine pelt
-coyote head/face pelt
-bird skull (small one i found outside, don't know what kind)
-a few shark teeth

also got a few dog teeth and some baby gator paws, which i planned to use later for jewelry to sell.

used to have some baby birds i had pickled years ago, but the container they were in was kind of unstable and when i moved i had to leave them behind.

what i can't keep, i sometimes take pictures of instead. i have a picture of the baby birds, one of a huge dead rat found under the cabinet (picture quality is terrible and blurry, though), and one of a dead snake i found on the side of the road near my house (it had really nice blue and green coloring).

> ___> i don't really tell many folks about the photos; i feel like they'd find it even more creepy than the actual specimens somehow.

Gamedog
06-26-2015, 09:48 PM
also got a few dog teeth and some baby gator paws, which i planned to use later for jewelry to sell.
One thing I really, really want is an alligator head. You know those ones they sell as souveniers? I'd love one of those.
(I lold hard at "gator paws" btw)

what i can't keep, i sometimes take pictures of instead [...] i don't really tell many folks about the photos; i feel like they'd find it even more creepy than the actual specimens somehow.

FWIW, I don't find it weird at all. I do the same thing if I find it interesting. Like this photo of a really red, rotting raccoon. I took the picture to show how cool the fur is.
(Warning on this image: gross, roadkill, no gore)
http://41.media.tumblr.com/7a35b5a20017abe0d283224240a01647/tumblr_ncc34sTDI61tmfihho2_1280.jpg

I've got a few nice finds recently.
1. Roadkill skunk.
This one, I found by smell. It was off the road a ways in a place where nobody or nothing would mess with it, so I let it decompose naturally and grabbed it when it was good to go. I'm cleaning the skeleton and will articulate it in the future.
(Warning: kind of gross, decomposition, no gore)
http://41.media.tumblr.com/6b065fc0e2fd78b927fe430e40609953/tumblr_npg1otuVqb1tmfihho1_1280.jpg

2. Roadkill rabbit.
Found this one while walking down the road. Saved the fur (even though it was summer patchy) as well as the skeleton. Nice young female rabbit, fortunately she was not pregnant.
(Warning: Whole dead animal, no gore, no blood)
http://41.media.tumblr.com/9cc62f1fcc1a33d15720f06ca379e08c/tumblr_nphxhqbX811tmfihho1_1280.jpg

3. Large female raccoon
Found this raccoon a while back on the road in late winter I believe. In pretty bad shape but I cleaned her up anyways. Skeleton was fine, skull is totaled, will have to piece back together. Fur was not in good shape.
(Warning: Whole dead animal, no gore or blood)
http://41.media.tumblr.com/1ceb34eec07ec3ffb23e7f26de5db278/tumblr_ncdlvaUgpE1tmfihho1_1280.jpg
Compare the fur on this raccoon to the first picture I posted and you can see the cool differences.

4. Vole
Was walking the dog and he killed this vole before I even knew what happened. Just lifted his head out of the grass with a dead vole. Oh well.
Gonna clean it up. Not gonna bother with the skeleton, I don't have the patience to piece together something so tiny. I plan on rug-skinning it with the paws anyways.
(Warning: Whole dead animal, no gore or blood)
http://41.media.tumblr.com/465e8bc547deecfb2f7bbe4868fbcb8c/tumblr_npply4AWHT1qfj6l6o2_1280.jpg

Tapeworm
07-12-2015, 04:24 AM
this has my full attention

The only pelts I have are rabbits so far, I really want to get a coyote. That's the only pelt I really want, once I get one I'll be happy.
I do have a coyote face I used to make a pouch and a dream catcher made from another face.

Preserved stuff:
raccoon heart
baby rat
tapeworm
garter snakes
mummified rats
alligator hear
various eyeballs
mummified skink
mummified gecko

skulls:
raccoon
beaver
deer
coyote
pine marten
a few rat skulls
three cats
one of them was painted on and made into something
a dog minus a jaw
two cows
a couple rabbit skulls
There's a cow vertebrae
deer leg bones
opossum feet that are still together
I use most of the bones I find in crafts, mostly necklaces. Its mostly opossums.
I keep the skulls that I can piece together and have a partially articulated skeleton.

skrimp
07-12-2015, 07:38 AM
All my things are boxed away at home at the moment ( in a different state) :< But I have:

Unidentified jaw of a herbivorous animal ( found under a house being restored )
Opossum skull ( from the same house )
A small box of random deer bones and old set of antlers ( my family hunts )
A cross-section of a pig's leg bone, essentially a ring of bone ( from a meal :3 )
Teensie unidentified dried-out snake ( back yard )
A rusty can filled with cicada wings ( collected after a wasp attack )
The head of a large stag beetle ( killed by ants )
Small unknown animal scapula ( food dumpster )
Huge chunk of rock full of shell fossils ( collected in mountainous region in VA )

Gamedog
07-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Unidentified jaw of a herbivorous animal ( found under a house being restored )
Small unknown animal scapula ( food dumpster )

Got any pics of these two? I could identify them for you. :)

skrimp
07-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Unfortunately not, the collection is some 3 1/2 hours away in a garage.

Gamedog
07-19-2015, 06:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pWl5xUp.jpg

WolfNightV4X1
08-21-2015, 09:35 AM
Once has a opossum jaw for a bit, was disappointed to see it go I-dont-know-where...

I still have feathers though. Im an avid collecter of feathers and whatever other natural objects I can find (butterfly wings, shells, and the like)

Although I hardly have good places to store them, anyone know how i can store my feathers, pressed in a photo album perhaps?

Yarnix
12-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Hello there, I am a beginner taxidermist with quite the growing collection!

Taxidermy:
3 blind mice in a nest
Mouse pelts plastered to canvas painting

Oddities:
Mouse skull
Mouse pelt scraps
Kashmir rabbit fur scraps
2 fox tails
Unidentified bone (my guess is dingo)