PDA

View Full Version : FA is Down: The Thread

TeenageAngst
11-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Since I was banned from FA forums under mysterious circumstances and since Weasyl's main form of recruitment is actually FA going down, I decided to make a thread on it. The main draw here is, "Hey, we're not FA!" (http://youtu.be/oZzgAjjuqZM?t=40s) Seriously though this is relevant to the growth of alternatives. For instance I started migrating more to fanfiction.net.

At this point it almost feels like punching down though. I'd use Weasyl as my main art site if the interface didn't suck all that was ass. Idk who designed that Web 2.0 idea-bag but it makes uploading art like 5x more painful than it should be.

So I use ff.net. Which is still has me jumping through about 3 layers of hoops too many but at least it gets the ship to port if you know what I'm saying.

Noxid
11-18-2014, 12:08 AM
really, fanfiction.net is your standard?
I mean, I used it to upload all of one chapter but it's practically a bird's nest of links and forms by comparison, from what I remember.

TeenageAngst
11-18-2014, 12:15 AM
Try as I might to get around it, FA has the best layout. It's uncluttered, it's simple, it works, and its fast when the hamsters are fed. Weasyl could easily be better, but they choose not to.

Noxid
11-18-2014, 12:20 AM
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. TEIO, To Each Its Own.

Gamedog
11-18-2014, 01:55 AM
I actually like Weasyl's interface and steps to upload submissions. :C

Rilvor
11-18-2014, 04:42 AM
Try as I might to get around it, FA has the best layout. It's uncluttered, it's simple, it works, and its fast when the hamsters are fed. Weasyl could easily be better, but they choose not to.

You mean that clunky garbage that doesn't allow you to upload any kind of decent writing format?

TeenageAngst
11-18-2014, 05:40 AM
It allows you to upload w/e you want, it's just it only displays .txt. That's a pain, but at least I don't have to manually crop and adjust every single freaking thumbnail.

Rilvor
11-18-2014, 05:57 AM
No sir I don't think so.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

TeenageAngst
11-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Except the end result is all my submissions look slightly different cause I have to manually crop my thumbnail every single time. It looks retarded as hell. Which ties into the issue of using a thumbnail for your preview, since everyone and their uncle thinks they're SO WITTY by having a normal looking thumbnail and then having it be some crazy fetish bullshit when you click on it. I have to roll the dice enough as it is on FA, but Weasyl it's like why even bother. And of course there's the fact that the art and the writing is all hodge-podged together so you don't even know what you're clicking on because, and honest to god I can't believe I'm saying this, FA has a more advanced interface that has a preview pane come up when you mouse over it so you can get the description and figure out what you're about to click on.

I can't believe you have me DEFENDING FA now.

Noxid
11-18-2014, 06:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Y5CvT0p.png

Make your own previews!
☆*・゜゚・*ヽ( ★ω★)ノ

piņardilla
11-18-2014, 07:08 PM
Which ties into the issue of using a thumbnail for your preview, since everyone and their uncle thinks they're SO WITTY by having a normal looking thumbnail and then having it be some crazy fetish bullshit when you click on it.

If you see this happening, please report it. Misleading thumbnails like this are prohibited by the CG.

Rilvor
11-18-2014, 08:35 PM
^ Indeed.

But even regardless of of that, submitting your writing as .txt files is just no.

I am however sorry to hear you hang around crowds that involves a requirement of eye vinegar. The company you keep!

TeenageAngst
11-18-2014, 11:39 PM
Not uploading as .txt is just wrong. Maybe if you have heavy styling requirements I could understand a .pdf, but office documents are just right out. The main reason for this is .txt gets turned into HTML and therefore fits in with the webpage which makes for better readability. Also if you just double-paragraph your .txt file it reads super easy on monitors. Other document types end up becoming some CSS or Javascript nightmare that looks like you're staring at a google docs file. They also tend to encourage stupid fonts, ridiculous styling, and painful formatting. Yeah, indentation and multiple line spacing does make for an easier read *if you print the document out* but on a monitor it looks like ass.

If you see this happening, please report it. Misleading thumbnails like this are prohibited by the CG.

I'm not doing the mods jobs for them. They either need an interface (like FA's) which discourages that crap or they need to police the main page more.

And as for mouse-over previews I don't know how to do that. I can't find a setting on the page that gives me a preview of the document I'm about to click on.

Vae
11-19-2014, 06:00 AM
Make your own previews!
☆*・゜゚・*ヽ( ★ω★)ノ
What script is this?

Because userstyles.org turns up nothing.
And this would be useful for me.

TeenageAngst
11-19-2014, 07:15 AM
FA has posted estimated downtime of 6-8 hours. I'm taking over-under bets starting at 3 days.

Noxid
11-19-2014, 07:40 AM
What script is this?

Because userstyles.org turns up nothing.
And this would be useful for me.

I just wrote it up myself last night because it sounded fun and easy
It's not all packaged up to be a nice extension that runs automatically or anything but you can see what I did here: https://github.com/taedixon/WeasylPreviews/blob/master/weasyl_previewer.js

sassySloth
11-23-2014, 06:50 AM
The main reason why I haven't left FA is that is where everyone is.

I understand that alternatives won't become popular if I don't take the first step toward giving them a shot, but if FA is where my friends (and most furries period) are then I don't feel any reason do adjust to a different layout.

I am second guessing Weasyl because it just doesn't feel out-and-out furry enough for me. It feels like they admins and mods are holding back. I'm sure that sounds ridiculous. Just a feeling I get. I really like the look of SoFurry whenever I find myself there. Looks slick. What's the popular opinion of that place?

Now that I understand how to upload .txts to FA I don't have as much of a problem with it. I do wish they had some kind of thumbnail maker like Weasyl has. I'm sick of having my thumbnails looking ugly and jpeg'd.

Fay V
11-23-2014, 12:44 PM
The main reason why I haven't left FA is that is where everyone is.

I understand that alternatives won't become popular if I don't take the first step toward giving them a shot, but if FA is where my friends (and most furries period) are then I don't feel any reason do adjust to a different layout.

I am second guessing Weasyl because it just doesn't feel out-and-out furry enough for me. It feels like they admins and mods are holding back. I'm sure that sounds ridiculous. Just a feeling I get. I really like the look of SoFurry whenever I find myself there. Looks slick. What's the popular opinion of that place?

Now that I understand how to upload .txts to FA I don't have as much of a problem with it. I do wish they had some kind of thumbnail maker like Weasyl has. I'm sick of having my thumbnails looking ugly and jpeg'd.

I'll start with the regular I am speaking for myself and not staff, all the opinions are my own part, but yeah the bolded part of your comment has me curious and I was wondering if you could explain the feeling more.

Holding back how? Holding back from going full furry mode or just holding back in a more general sense?

sassySloth
11-23-2014, 12:58 PM
I'll start with the regular I am speaking for myself and not staff, all the opinions are my own part, but yeah the bolded part of your comment has me curious and I was wondering if you could explain the feeling more.

Holding back how? Holding back from going full furry mode or just holding back in a more general sense?Weasyl seems to be more about 'art' than 'furry' I guess. There's no dedicated furry section of the forums whereas on other forums there's a big "General Furry Discussion." The "About Weasyl" Page only mentions that it's for artists, writers, etc. The fur just feels really reigned in here, which I don't love. But again these are vague complaints that I can't even vocalize properly.

Can anyone explain what I'm getting at?

I remember fondly the lawlessness of the FA Forums where a noob would say terrible/ stupid things and everyone else would laugh at them. Whenever a topic gets heated here it seems to get shut down. It's all very restrained.

Fay V
11-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Ah well, there's sort of an explanation for that.

Weasyl isn't just a "furry" site, it's a fur friendly site where a lot of the staff are furrys and love the fandom, but we don't want Weasyl to be by furs, for furs, furry only club go away. This isn't to say the fandom is bad and we don't love it, just that furry exclusive tends to have a different focus for rules, we don't want to exclude things like human art or whatever, and we def don't want someone feeling like they shouldn't show all their awesome are rather than just the furry stuff.

So the site has a heavy furry leaning, but it's not just furry, and that's why we're not pushing things like a general furry discussion, or furry only rules like "no human art" etc.

As for the forums and the like, yes the staff and the forums are restrained, especially compared to FaF. It's not the same community environment from FaF, it's not the same staff environment as FaF.
I remember my time on FAF fondly both as a user and as staff, but we're not FAF and don't really want to be FAF.

The forums shouldn't be a place where new people come in and can get completely shit on, especially since it's one of the primary ways our staff is staying in touch with users and getting feedback to improve.

Weasyl forums has a different job for weasyl than FaF did for FA, and we're still fiddling and fixing and adjusting to make this place more enjoyable, but to meet our goals as a staff we just can't do the lawlessness of FaF.

I hope that all made sense.

sassySloth
11-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Ah well, there's sort of an explanation for that.

Weasyl isn't just a "furry" site, it's a fur friendly site where a lot of the staff are furrys and love the fandom, but we don't want Weasyl to be by furs, for furs, furry only club go away. This isn't to say the fandom is bad and we don't love it, just that furry exclusive tends to have a different focus for rules, we don't want to exclude things like human art or whatever, and we def don't want someone feeling like they shouldn't show all their awesome are rather than just the furry stuff.

So the site has a heavy furry leaning, but it's not just furry, and that's why we're not pushing things like a general furry discussion, or furry only rules like "no human art" etc.Ah there you go, thanks. That's exactly what I was feeling. So yes, I don't like that. I wanted furrier pastures. But that's my opinion.

More power to you :thumbsup:

Fay V
11-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Yeah, that's fair. everyone has preferences. At least now you know that you're not just seeing things and Weasyl probably won't fill the furriest furry niche for you.

rbartrop
11-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Personally, that restraint is one of the best things about Weasyl.
I like the furry stuff, but I don't want to do it all the time, so I'm good with FA being a little less furry centric than FA.

Kudos to Weasyl for making a tool for making custom thumbnails easier, but it you don't want to do that, would it really be that terrible if the default thumbnail added blank space instead of making arbitrary crops?

So why am I still on FA? The same reason Clyde Barrow robbed banks, because that's where the money is. There are more people there, more watchers, and more people buying. Of course this may change as Weasyl grows, and I build more of an audience, but right now, FA pays my rent, and Weasyl doesn't.

So, why do I bother with Weasyl at all? In a word, redundancy. FA does go down, and there's always the possibility that Dragoneer will do like so many have before, and decide that the site is more trouble than it's worth. It's always good to have backups, and if the existence of Weasyl motivates the staff of FA to get their act together, better still.

TeenageAngst
12-22-2014, 01:31 AM
Well well well, guess what threat is relevant again?

Gamedog
12-22-2014, 06:26 AM
Hmmmmmmm
I heard rumors of malware

TeenageAngst
12-22-2014, 08:42 AM
The only malware on that site is their cloudflare cookies.

Namba
12-22-2014, 02:27 PM
If it weren't for the fact some people depend on it to pay their bills, I'd care less as to whether or not it was ever back up again.

Gamedog
12-22-2014, 09:24 PM
The only malware on that site is their cloudflare cookies.

Yeah I wasn't sure of the details because I read about it on here in a journal

TeenageAngst
12-22-2014, 10:27 PM
The administration at FA has a knack for taking good ideas and twisting them into bad ideas. And then they twist them some more. And then they put them in a thumbscrew until they resemble a slinky. I actually had the catastrophically bad luck of getting into a conversation with none other than Dragoneer a while back about how the site is run, and after much prodding he basically flat out admitted the site is run the way it is because he says so.

SimoSkunk
12-27-2014, 07:19 PM
FA: It's an oddly fragmented site. You have the art/stories part, where I've met a lot of friendly furs, then you have the forums, which seems mainly like a place to be rude, and to bitch & complain about the other half of the site. It's kinda sad that it's one of the busiest forums, because there's so many angry/rude furs there, and no real sense of community. It reminds me I should post more here, and other places that are better run.