PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Thread! Because of Reasons

Lilyface
09-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Any other gym-bunnies out there? Interested in starting out and looking for advice? Are you somebody who likes picking things up an putting them down again? This is a thread for talking about that stuff!

I'll start! I'm a 5'2" 107lbs 22y/o with a resting HR of 103/70 and a BMI of 18.9.

I do about a hour of mild cardio three times a week(elliptical mainly, or bike. Sometimes swimming.) and lift on alternate days. My gym's kind of dated but I take what I can get! As for diet, I'm pretty much a carnivore due to health stuff. I used to do the whole "protein shake" thing but they taste gross. :E

I got started on the fitness train when I was planning on joining the US Air Force and during my prep I started to get into shape and thanks to that found out I have a congenital heart defect that pretty much got me blacklisted. We found out because I had a mild heart attack while running on the treadmill and, being only 18 at the time, figured it was a little weird and there was something very not good going on.

Turns out, if I hadn'tve been training I would most likely have had a heart attack much later and never found out the cause. The fact that I had been working out so diligently for months had strengthened my heart and made it easier to for me to not die. Fitness saved my life, basically. Now I just do it because I like it.

So how about you guys? Why do you fitness?

Oly
09-29-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm 6 foot tall(slightly under last I checked, like by a centimeter or two, dunno if I've grown since then), 21, and weight about 215, 220.
I don't work out much right now, although i do walk to work and back every day and go swimming fairly regularly. I go for walks sometimes too but haven't been as much, I tend to sleep a lot and working on stuff on the computer takes up most of the rest of my non-work time. I should get out more though, winter is coming after all :/

I do, however, have plans to, once i can afford a membership at the gym, start lifting to build up some muscle. Consulting with an acquaintance who is both an accomplished lifter and a doctor(or at least he'll be a doc soon, not sure if he's finished med school yet) and various online sources i have a strong idea of exactly what workout schedule I'll be doing.
But unlike most people I don't want to lose fat. I just want to gain muscle. I like being chubby, I enjoy having a belly, I'd be sad to lose it.

As for why, i may enjoy being chubby but i don't enjoy being weak and out of shape. I've lost stamina in the past few years from not skateboarding or having to walk quite as much as i used to, and that bugs me a lot. And my boyfriend thinks seeing me work out is hot sooo that's a nice plus too. :U

When it comes to diet, I don't do anything special, and i just try to eat as healthy as possible because i tend to think healthier foods are better tasting and more satisfying. I don't eat frozen foods if I can get the same thing fresh, I make things from scratch if I'm able instead of buying it pre-made, I favor fresh foods and fruits/veggies over preserved stuff and junk. I don't eat a whole lot of meat right now due to it being kinda on the expensive side, i usually make udon soup or pasta sauce with beef in once every week or two, and it usually lasts me 4-8 days or so.
I eat a lot of egg salad with everything on from Subway since that's like the only place to get food in town(Tumbler is a VERY small place). I could go to the grocery store but i can't like cook at work, so i just do subway instead. I'd change it up and get ham and/or turkey or BLTs too, but only egg salad and veggie are on the five-dollar menu and i prefer to save as much money as i can - i don't exactly make a lot.

i do eat a lot of onion and garlic. fucking love garlic, I'll put anywhere from half to an entire clove into a single salad. was eating a lot of spinach but the grocery doesn't seem to have the bags I was getting any more...? so weird.

Lilyface
09-29-2012, 05:41 PM
You're gonna start lifting? Cool! I hear that's a really focused workout and I've had a friend who developed back issues related to his lifts so it's a good thing you've got a friend to help you out! As for waiting until you get a gym membership, you can start building up arm strength at home by buying a cheap set of hand-weights or doing pushups. :)

I don't think I'll ever lift haha.

Oly
09-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Yep, it seems like the best way to get the results I want. And yeah, i've heard a fair bit of horror stories about developing back problems and such so I've been careful to study proper forms for each kind of lift. In addition to my friend I found this site (http://www.stronglifts.com) recommended almost the exact same thing my friend did and has lots of tips for learning proper form and getting the most out of your workout time.

I actually did used to have a dumbbell and a few weights back in ontario, but couldn't justify lugging 50-70 pounds of dead weight across the country on a bus so i left if behind. xP

Right now i mainly stretch and do some light cardio, pushups and squats and stuff in my room, since it's a basement and a sizable room i can jump around and whatever without making a lot of noise.

GingerM
09-29-2012, 06:55 PM
I do PT because I'm in the Navy and I have to :D

Seriously, though, because I don't have the resilience of youth any longer. So I bike to/from the base 3 times a week (about 24 km round trip) and get 2 x 2 hours in the base gym on days when I don't bike (duties permitting).

Lilyface
09-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Yep, it seems like the best way to get the results I want. And yeah, i've heard a fair bit of horror stories about developing back problems and such so I've been careful to study proper forms for each kind of lift. In addition to my friend I found this site (http://www.stronglifts.com) recommended almost the exact same thing my friend did and has lots of tips for learning proper form and getting the most out of your workout time.

I actually did used to have a dumbbell and a few weights back in ontario, but couldn't justify lugging 50-70 pounds of dead weight across the country on a bus so i left if behind. xP

Right now i mainly stretch and do some light cardio, pushups and squats and stuff in my room, since it's a basement and a sizable room i can jump around and whatever without making a lot of noise.

Jump rope is good for keeping track of reps, but you said you wanted to add muscle weight instead of slimming so I'd keep cardio on the back burner for now. I can see how dragging that much would be a pain! The only equipment I own is a set of "perfect pushup" rotators and they're fabulous.

I do PT because I'm in the Navy and I have to :D

Seriously, though, because I don't have the resilience of youth any longer. So I bike to/from the base 3 times a week (about 24 km round trip) and get 2 x 2 hours in the base gym on days when I don't bike (duties permitting).

Go Navy! Thank you for your hard work and service! Although I couldn't join, I currently have family serving in every branch of the military and grew up an Army brat to boot. xD

Biking is my favorite kind of exercise! I used to bike for 3 miles a day five days a week riding to and from school. Best year of school ever.

Ibuuyk
09-29-2012, 10:12 PM
I can't do exercise because of my shitty back, so I compensate by doing a special diet of mine that works fabulously well.

Lilyface
09-29-2012, 10:22 PM
I hear you about your back! My husband has got severe scoliosis (his spinal column actually is twisted, like a corkscrew!) so he has to take precautions when it comes to exercising.

Ohh diets! Mine is pretty restricted cause of kidney stone issues, but I actually attended nutritionist certification classes for a while to get a better understanding of dietary needs. Did you know the human diet has changed drastically in the last hundred years or so in comparison to the rest of our historical diet as a species, yet we can adapt to pretty much anything we eat over as little time as a few months? The human body is neat. :)

Ibuuyk
09-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Ya, severe scoliosis is what I have.

Dem damn theme parks broke my back, they did :V

Ghost
10-03-2012, 12:00 PM
I exercise but not as efficiently as I know I could be, my schedule is all over the place but when I can't skip over to the gym I try doing some excercises and walks at home along with maybe a workout video or two.

As for diet, I've always eaten healthy because that is how I was raised, mostly organic greens and meats and everything is home cooked. I know red meats are some of the best foods if you are really looking to put on some muscle though, but I'm fine with just being trim.

Eminoxic
10-03-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm a bit of a closet fitness nerd. I'm not a "meat head", but I love working out. I don't go to the Gym anymore though, mainly because I have a bench pressing machine and punching bag in my room. Once I move out from here I plan to buy more, but for now, those 2 will do!

Since everything I do is online based, I pretty much need those tools in my room, or I'd probably have 0 energy to move around. Though secretly I use it as stress relief. You know, there is always that 1 person you have to deal with, but since you can't just punch them, you need to release that steam elsewhere! :x3:

Oly
10-03-2012, 03:55 PM
OH MAN I wish I could get a punching bag. :/

I've wanted one for like years. Air boxing is shitty and I hate it >:

Matt
10-03-2012, 10:14 PM
My interest in fitness works in waves. I ran a half-marathon last year. Then I stopped running. Then started again and lost 40 pounds. Then I decided I wanted to build muscle, so I started weight training and eating a lot. Then I stopped weight training and kept eating a lot. I'm currently eating a large piece of chocolate pie. Um.

I'm still arguably in the best shape I've been in 7 years, but I'm rolling slowly back toward glut. Ice cream tastes nice. I think I just need a long term goal to work toward again. The whole fat flux thing can't be good for me.

Prawst
10-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Aw yiss
we fitness now

I do a three day a week full body split

I do deadlifts, benchpress, ATG squats and OHP to start and do whatever else I fancy at the time, whether it be dicking with wierd new machines at the centre or skullcrushers or some calisthenics like pull ups/chin ups or something!!

Oly
10-04-2012, 03:08 AM
ballooning up and down definitely isn't good. You should either try to maintain being bigger or smaller, whichever you prefer. towards thinner is obviously a bit healthier, but big with muscle is of course much healthier than big with fat. and sexier in my opinion, but that's just my opinion. x3

Lizard King
10-04-2012, 11:28 AM
I have a main routine I do mon/wed/fri, but lately I've been doing a bit more to keep warm as an alternative to turning the heating on. Save money and keep fit. Woop.

Felix
10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
I've been working out for years and years and tried all sorts of exercise programs. The one thing I'd like to pass on about it is to make it a part of your schedule. If you just try to fit it in whenever you can, you'll always end up displacing it for other things. Right now I'm doing a toned down version of the preparatory workout to the Navy Seal work out. Starting out with 10/10/3 push-ups/sit-ups/pull-ups then each week moving up in numbers 15/15/5, 20/20/7, etc. After you do your sets you run for 30 minutes, which is a little over a 5k for me. You're supposed to swim for 15 minutes after that, but because I work-out in the morning before work I don't really have time, and besides I am a terrible swimmer. I used to do a full strength work-out but after a while I realized I didn't want to get any larger so I decided to go for some more endurance. I've kept most of my size but gained a fair measure of tone. So I'm pretty pleased with the results. If anyone has any questions about a work-out routine, feel free to ask.