PDA

View Full Version : Weird pixelation effect on my monitor.

Vae
10-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Just recently, my laptop monitor has been having this weird pixelated effect on all areas of blue onscreen.

Obviously, screenshotting this would do nothing, so I tried to recreate the effect in Sai.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/9d6e40f94b71ce0991477eab118738bd/tumblr_ndvcn3Ue1G1sonvd0o1_250.png

They're not completely solid, but it does create the appearance of alternating 1px wide lines of a slightly brighter value across images.
Not impossible to work around, but distracting for my artwork.

Scrolling about the color wheel on Sai also shows a bit of of this problem in some orange hues, but it's the most pronounced in anything with blue tones, from teal to bluer-toned purples.

And it's completely uniform, across the entire screen.

I don't know what may have caused this problem, except maybe my laptop getting too cold. Or from pressure changes as it flew with me. But I don't think... that would do this? People fly with their laptops all the time.

I haven't had any shutdowns due to overheating or anything else.

Anyone have any ideas?
I've tried messing around with brightness / contrast / gamma in the graphics settings, and the lines are still there.

My laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ62, with a 1366x768 resolution and intel chipset graphics.

Taw
10-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Sounds to me like the screen was either damaged in some way or perhaps something to do with the video drivers. Did you change any settings when it began, or did it just randomly happen one day? I know some monitors have this issue and sometimes it's a QA thing and you may be able to get it fixed if you still have warranty.

Onnes
10-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Have you checked it yet with an external monitor?

Vae
10-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Sounds to me like the screen was either damaged in some way or perhaps something to do with the video drivers. Did you change any settings when it began, or did it just randomly happen one day? I know some monitors have this issue and sometimes it's a QA thing and you may be able to get it fixed if you still have warranty.
I don't think I still have warranty on it, because it's like 7 years old.

I didn't mess with any of the settings, though, aside from testing some of them (and putting them back the way they were) after this problem already occurred.

It just randomly appeared one day, while I've been back in WV, visiting my parents.

Have you checked it yet with an external monitor?
Not yet, but I haven't had access to an external monitor yet.
I'll probably have to wait until I fly home to do that.

Vae
10-25-2014, 01:49 AM
Update: Since staying in a cabin this weekend, which is much warmer than my parents' house, the effect seems to disappear almost completely.

So I'm thinking that maybe this just happens because of the cold.
It's been about 30 - 40 F in their house / in my room.

I just didn't think that the cold did that to laptop monitors.

Tiido
10-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Cold makes all LCDs react lot slower than they have to.

More info about the pattern can be found here, aswell as tests to show what method the panel uses aswell as other things to mess around with LCDs : http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php